Rimworld - strategy base building sci-fi indie game

Associate
On vanilla only if you got ambushed en route and it generated a battle map that you could hunt on before moving on.

There is a mod that allows caravans to set up a camp site on the current tile that you could safely add mid game.

Soldato
Started playing this recently, taking it slow and learning as I go. Bloody fun though.

Is there a way to send hunting caravans to other tiles?
Could use some more meat before winter and I don't want to genecide everything in my own tile.

I'm playing vanhilla with no mods.

On vanilla only if you got ambushed en route and it generated a battle map that you could hunt on before moving on.

There is a mod that allows caravans to set up a camp site on the current tile that you could safely add mid game.

There's two ways. You can either use the camp sites mod as @Jonny2284 mentioned or if you don't want to use mod then in options you can increase number of allowed bases, think you can have max of 5. Send a caravan to desired tile, there's a minimum distance of 3 tiles I think and create new colony. When you're ready to leave just reform the caravan and you should get an option whether to keep or abandon the tile.

Soldato
So there's no way I can bring back corpses/meat from say a mission, without using the mentioned method?

You can, when you're reforming the caravan to go back to your main base you'll be able to select what you want to bring back with you. Just make sure you have some pack animals or several people with you as you'll be limited by the carry weight. Then once you left you'll have option to abandon that colony.

The good thing about the mod is that the camp remains will eventually disappear from the world map and you'll be able to send another hunting party to that tile. If you do it the vanilla way I think the colony "ruins"remain on world map for rest of the game and you won't be able to send another hunting party to that tile ever again forcing you to travel further away each time.

Quick youtube search that explains how to set up 2nd colony.

Soldato
Thanks.

I do have a donkey which I take on caravan trips, not quite sure how to put corpses on him. Or maybe he doesn't have the carry weight.

Soldato
It does, watch at 3min in that video. As soon as you add pack animal to your caravan it increases max weight you can carry. I've not played vanilla in years and not played since latest patch but doubt they'd remove donkeys from being pack animals.

Soldato
Is plate armour worth it?

I uncovered some hidden base and these mecha insects went on a rampage.
My melee pawns got wiped out (I cheated and reloaded a save).

Soldato
sound slike the mechanoids, i think you want power armour and defent weapons. they are quiet powerfull with high HP.
i did the same :D re-save load.. but this was also my first play through.

Soldato
Mechanoids are tough, see if you can lure them over your traps and get some emp grenades to stun them then close to melee.

You opened an ancient danger. I'd normally build a narrow corridor filled with traps before opening it up. As soon as you open it, retreat back and let any enemies go over the traps before engaging them in combat.

Soldato
Also be careful when you pop that door/wall....they're pretty accurate on their shot and they have a habit of hurting. You need to be careful with ancient dangers for multiple reasons:

1. If you open the sarcophagus's (sarcophagii?) they can sometime contain some angry, well geared individuals who'll take a dislking to you.
2. If you do manage to raid it, it can bump the value of your colony up quite a bit if you do it early doors leading to higher level raids.

Soldato
I did manage to clear out the place, after a lot of running away. Thankfully there was only 2.

Opened the pods and they were all sick and dying. So I've got 1 sat in prison, waiting to recruit. Used another for organs, since 1 of my pawns kept having heart attacks, so she got a new heart. I love that you can do **** like that. :D
The rest I slaughtered because they're stats were terrible.

With armour at lower levels, I've been watching some guides. Should I be aiming for flak and dusters made from devilweave?
I've made 2 plate armour, but from what people are saying, it's a mistake because of the movement speed debuff.

Soldato
I don't usually bother with plate armour or even flak jacket and pants as they also reduce speed. If you can grow devil strand then it's definitely worth crafting some devilstrand gear, especially if you have decent crafter who can produce excellent quality gear with some regularity. Early game I aim for heavy fur duster, pants, shirt and flak vest.

Soldato
As above or if you decide to keep it make your pawn drop it in storage room and forbid it. Then you can force equip if needed.
Also have a look at outfits, you can create your own and decide what type, quality and condition of clothes your people should wear.

@DEL 707 just saw your screenshot in the hi-res screenshot thread. Looks tidy but I'd start replacing (if you've not done so already) your wooden walls and floors with stone ones to minimise risk of your base burning down. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I've made a seperate bed area now made out of granite, but my main building for crafting and recreation is still wood.
Is there an easy way to replace the walls? Or do I need to deconstruct the old stuff and put up a new wall manually?

NYzR0J9.jpg

I really need to look into defences, at the moment my tactic is just to spread out everyone in a line and hope the invaders die before I do.

Soldato
I've been using a mod to replace walls but I believe you can now place the new wall over an
existing in vanilla as well and they should automatically demolish and build new one.

Place end tables next to your colonists beds to increase bed's comfort rating. They need to be placed next to head so move the one in hospital. You can hook up 4 beds to one in hospital till you research vital monitors etc for hospital.

You don't want your butcher table and cooking stove in the same room. Build a little room inside your freezer and put your stove in there to minimize foot traffic and making the area arouyit dirty. You should only have one door to your kitchen to stop your people randomly walking through it. Consider putting an air lock on your freezer to better control temperature inside it. Build a second door 4 tiles away so one can close before the next one opens.

You should start building walls around your base and create a choke point to lure enemies through it by leaving a door open, have your hospital and a dining table nearby. If you get a manhunter pack event you can close that door and stay safely inside your base to wait it out.

E: build a shelf/ stockpile for your medicine near your hospital so your doctor's don't have to go far to get it when tending to your pawns or prisoners.

Last edited:
Soldato
When it comes to walls around my base for protection/choke points. Should I be aiming for stone, or will wood do the job?

Also, when it comes to work prorities. If I set it to manual and leave everything at a 3, will they still just work from left to right?

Last edited:
Soldato
When it comes to walls around my base for protection/choke points. Should I be aiming for stone, or will wood do the job?

Also, when it comes to work prorities. If I set it to manual and leave everything at a 3, will they still just work from left to right?

Stone walls and steel doors as the raiders would just set them on fire otherwise and would also be at risk during flash storms and wild fires.

Yes, it still goes left to right.

Associate
^ That.

Raiders routinely set fire to things. Wood is too big a risk that it gets out of control for those situations.

Unless it's part of your plan to make a wood edged killbox to burn them alive.

Back
Top Bottom