Riser cables and pcie compatibility

Associate
It will work but depending on the motherboard you might need to set the BIOS PCIe compatibility option to 3.0 before installing the GPU (either via the iGPU or connecting the GPU directly if it's a new build). Some motherboards will autodetect this option but not all of them

Last edited:
Associate
PaulM has pretty much answered your question but PCI-E riser cables stop the autodetect working in my experience so set the BIOS to the cable speed if that's the slowest part.
Hi is that when upon booting up your pc the motherboard boots up before the gpu boots up ?

As I have this problem (well not a problem) as they both boot up fine eventually, how do I correct this so both boot up at the same time please.

FYI:
I have a asus b650e-e mobo and the riser cable is a lian-li 4.0 cable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi is that when upon booting up your pc the motherboard boots up before the gpu boots up ?

As I have this problem (well not a problem) as they both boot up fine eventually, how do I correct this so both boot up at the same time please.

FYI:
I have a asus b650e-e mobo and the riser cable is a lian-li 4.0 cable.
Yeah modern BIOS often don't show a screen until they boot actual Windows.

If you can enter the BIOS with pressing DEL during boot see if there is a fast BIOS boot you can disable or enable a 5 sec boot delay. Also see if there's a display BIOS screen option that may be disabled.

Back
Top Bottom