Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
To cause damage to shifters requires some serious energy to be directed to it, after my falls in the past and my recent ones the only damage I had was to a hood and some scratching on the lever! Rear Derraileur is usually the first thing to die!

Soldato
To cause damage to shifters requires some serious energy to be directed to it, after my falls in the past and my recent ones the only damage I had was to a hood and some scratching on the lever! Rear Derraileur is usually the first thing to die!

I managed to do some light damage to the shifters on my old bike by falling off. Not a lot of energy behind it either. Perhaps it was the fat. Some stupid woman cut me up on her bike as I was trying to get round a parked 4x4. Didn't fancy crashing into the 4x4. Also didn't help I had a mild ear infection, threw my balance off a lot!

On an unrelated note, I'm on the hunt for some nice new bibs. I want something that perhaps protects me a bit from rain/is a bit warmer. And then 2 pairs for summer riding. Any recommendations?

Soldato
So I did my first ride today in over 3 months and my fitness has dropped off the cliff. I'm about 35% down on cruising power and HR from my peak last October.

I'm kinda hoping it comes back pretty quick :o

Associate

Ah it's mainly cosmetic damage I think. The shifters still work, but you can see inside them now. They had some plastic cover on the front, both sides smashed into a million pieces.

I've been out to check in my lunch hour, and I don't think the damage to the derailleur is quite as bad as I thought. The hanger is badly bent, and derailleur is seriously scuffed, but again hopefully cosmetic damage.

Just viewed the footage from my Fly6, very thankful the guy in the car behind was paying attention. Looks like he made an emergency stop. Still can't see the ice that I slipped on though.

Soldato
On an unrelated note, I'm on the hunt for some nice new bibs. I want something that perhaps protects me a bit from rain/is a bit warmer. And then 2 pairs for summer riding. Any recommendations?

Budget?

Good to hear janp, the little covers can be purchased individually. I need to get a pair of hoods but can only see them on sjs cycles. I'll ask cycleworld if they can get the bits in on way home tonight.

Soldato

I've had good success with Sportful Fiandre NoRain bibs, got 2 pairs and I actually originally got them for commuting but they're so comfortable I'm half tempted to get another pair as I've used them for nearly all rides the last few months! I got mine for £65 from Bikeinn, but last time I looked they were out of stock of some sizes. Evans' did have them on a sale but not currently... Sigmasport have the tights on sale for £65, yet the shorts are still £70. Could be worth emailing/checking them to see if the shorts will drop in price/go on sale after. Ordering from there so you don't have the delay in international postage from Spain (a la Bikeinn).

So I did my first ride today in over 3 months and my fitness has dropped off the cliff. I'm about 35% down on cruising power and HR from my peak last October.

Good to see you back buddy! Fitness will return, just keep riding! :D

Ah it's mainly cosmetic damage I think. The shifters still work, but you can see inside them now. They had some plastic cover on the front, both sides smashed into a million pieces.

Sure I've seen them for sale the last couple of days somewhere, CRC I think. Can't recall the name and drawing a blank with my searches??? It was the bits just off the top of the lever below the rubbery hoods.

Man of Honour

I'm kinda hoping it comes back pretty quick :o

Me too - last night was my first ride since November, well first proper ride where I did more than a handful of miles at 10mph. It wasn't even that proper. about 24 miles with 1500ft of climbing. Which was hard... in the dark and cold.

I am soooo unfit. That sort of thing would have been a breeze before winter happened. I really struggled on the first part that was uphill and the drag back home. Meh.

Felt great to be out, though :)

Soldato
So after deciding I wasn't up for the Norwich 50 sportive this year I got asked at work if I'd do it. Worryingly there is talk of doing the 100 mile route which I'll probably not even attempt!

New shoes turned up, hopefully I'll be as lucky as last time getting the cleats in the right place! Might try them out tomorrow but I'm also tempted to get muddy on the MTB. Either way I've got a day off which guarantees it'll be hammering it down.

Soldato
Ouch! Hope things are easily sorted for you mate - the rash will clear up just take it easy. I found the best thing was to keep it covered (couple of large plasters in my case) to avoid aggravating the damage and surface until the damaged skin had died, once it has keep it moist and exposed to the air if possible to aid healing... Mine was easy on my knee, hip was a little more interesting, your a** (?) could be even more so lol :o:D

Components are the more worrying thing, hope your friend knows shifters as they're probably the most expensive part if they're knackered... Mine both took the brunt of the slide when I came down - was thankfully on my left side so RD was untouched. The damage to them is purely cosmetic so I've not done anything about it, will probably touch them up with black nail varnish when next doing a 'full' service. Need to get some white and some silver nail varnish too lol :rolleyes:

20160116_113332.jpg
20160116_113308.jpg

Just deal with it!

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-...-and-fixing-screws-right-y01f98030-prod37223/
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-...e-and-fixing-screws-left-y01g98030-prod37228/

No bike for me so far this year, off next week so hopefully try to start before the bundy starts when the clocks go back. :o

Caporegime
Sjs are like magic for random nick nacky bits. The reflector on my Sks chromoplastics got all broken and rattly and I wanted to replace it. I spent ages searching around for a suitable replacement before I remembered sjs and found exactly the part I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom