Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Does anyone know it it's possible to change the crankset on a new Canyon bike order?
I'm looking to buy an Aeroad CF SLX 8.0 with Ultegra Di2 but I would like it with a 50/34 Compact Crankset, not 52/36 which is the standard spec.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is going to sound properly dense but... you are going out for a ride and it is around the 5'C mark. What do you wear?

Head, legs and hand wise I'm ok but as for my torso I'm at a loss. If I wear a thick jersey I feel like my chest is being frozen off. If I put a softshell on top I'm fine warmth wise but there is sweat literally rolling off my back by the time I get home. Is it just that my softshell is no good (cheapie one from Aldi) or are they all like that?

Soldato
This is going to sound properly dense but... you are going out for a ride and it is around the 5'C mark. What do you wear?

Head, legs and hand wise I'm ok but as for my torso I'm at a loss. If I wear a thick jersey I feel like my chest is being frozen off. If I put a softshell on top I'm fine warmth wise but there is sweat literally rolling off my back by the time I get home. Is it just that my softshell is no good (cheapie one from Aldi) or are they all like that?

Depends how windy, but today I had LS compression base, short sleeve, gabba and lightweight jacket. That was for a windy and wet day, if it's dry, then I'd probably shed the jacket once I am warmed up. Swap the Gabba for Rapha Classic jersey, anything that has a zip to open up. Never really suffer with being too warm or cold on my torso. It's more my arms and hands/feet that are problematic.

Soldato
No, canyon are very set. You will soon get used to the 52/36! Barely any difference when you actually look at ratios.

There is a difference, especially when riding up 20%+ hills. Most non-pros don't need the extra gearing of a 52/36. Heck, some pro's even use compact crank sets.

How many times are you blasting along at 35mph and think I wish I had another gear, vs, slogging it up a hill wishing you had a lower gear.

Soldato
There is a difference, especially when riding up 20%+ hills. Most non-pros don't need the extra gearing of a 52/36. Heck, some pro's even use compact crank sets.

How often are you lugging up 20% hills? Very few pros would use compact except on ridiculous lumpy days where they'll be sat in a grupetto just getting through the day.

Soldato
How often are you lugging up 20% hills?
Every Sportive I ride - Tour of the Peaks (Winnats Pass 20%), Cheshire Cat (Mow Cop 25%), Stratford Sportives (Cotswold Hills).

Anyway, I know it's possible to change the crank out myself and re-align the front derailleur, but it's just hassle.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd be inclined to just chuck on a bigger cassette for those 3 sportives. Either way Canyon won't swap, so you'd have to sell the chainrings/crankset if you wanted to change to 50/34

Soldato
A 50/34 on an aeroad? :eek:

On a 20% ascent it is always going to be a grind unless you're a pro with a compact - if you're pushing around 5w/kg you're still going to struggle to hit 60RPM in 34x28 and it won't be that much worse on a 36x28.

A compact does make sense if you've not done much riding before or if you live in a seriously hilly area (e.g. lake district, alps) but for a reasonably fit rider it's overkill really

Soldato
I'm a spinner and therefore go for a 34x28 normal riding and a 34x32 on hilly rides on my current bike.
I was around 3.7w/kg last Ocotber but I'm currently in recovery training after 3 months off the bike, around 2.5w/kg now :/

Soldato
Surely that indicates you're in a build phase? Also 3.7w/kg to 2.5 is a huge drop.

Bear in mind my w/kg for an hour is 3.7 and I have never ever thought about needing a 32t cassette on a compact.

Soldato
Re : the power drop. It surprised me too, pretty gutted to be honest and I'm hoping it comes back pretty quick. Putting on nearly 2kg of weight hasn't helped :o

Soldato
Surely that indicates you're in a build phase? Also 3.7w/kg to 2.5 is a huge drop.

Bear in mind my w/kg for an hour is 3.7 and I have never ever thought about needing a 32t cassette on a compact.

Agree with this - I had a lot of time off last year due to a chronic injury and dropped power but that sounds like your 2.5w/kg figure isn't right!

Soldato
The below is not a watts/kg comparison, but an example of my performance drop over a very similar route. I actually intended to ride the same route but didn't have the fitness to do it, so I took the flatter route back home :o

October 2015 : 233watts average, 163 HR average
https://www.strava.com/activities/404679191

Feb 2016 : 124 watts average, 171 HR average
https://www.strava.com/activities/490987659

That's going from riding 100 miles per week to nothing for just over 3 months. (My max HR is 195).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not that bad considering mate! Well ridden, things have got a little more gusty here this afternoon, how did you find it weather wise?

I'm trying to will the rain away tomorrow morning so I can go out...!

Why did you stop in Worcester? Had enough? Traffic? Darkness? :o

Told you to avoid the Wrekin ;)

EDIT: Bit of a higher average ;)

I could've gone faster but I was trying to pace myself so I didn't feel like death in the evening. I also hit rush hour traffic when I got to Worcester so I thought it might be quicker and less stressful to get a train...it wasn't :)

All in all it was really laziness that meant I didn't complete the ride. Also, solo rides above metric centuries are really tedious.

Soldato
The below is not a watts/kg comparison, but an example of my performance drop over a very similar route. I actually intended to ride the same route but didn't have the fitness to do it, so I took the flatter route back home :o

October 2015 : 233watts average, 163 HR average
https://www.strava.com/activities/404679191

Feb 2016 : 124 watts average, 171 HR average
https://www.strava.com/activities/490987659

That's going from riding 100 miles per week to nothing for just over 3 months. (My max HR is 195).

I'm viewing on mobile but I assume this data is from a power meter? 124w really is very low, it doesn't seem right that you averaged that speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom