Road Cycling

Soldato
I've got a fixie I could ride but it's also been outside in the elements the last two years. I've got spare chains for it but the truth is I just don't want to ride it at the moment lol. This is all making me realise that having 2 bikes wont necessarily be a bad thing

Oh man, when it rains it pours. Hopefully by the time you get it all resolved the sun will actually decide it wants to shine on the UK.

Soldato
@fez Just for you ;)

FNn6DxB.png

What was nice, is that i took in a bit of a hill i did when i first arrived and it felt considerably easier than previously.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I've got a fixie I could ride but it's also been outside in the elements the last two years. I've got spare chains for it but the truth is I just don't want to ride it at the moment lol. This is all making me realise that having 2 bikes wont necessarily be a bad thing

Oh man, when it rains it pours. Hopefully by the time you get it all resolved the sun will actually decide it wants to shine on the UK.

Yeah, I am building up a gravel bike at the moment which will cover me for a second bike if anything goes wrong again with the main one but for now I am just happy I am lazy and didn't sell the old TCR frameset.

@fez Just for you ;)
What was nice, is that i took in a bit of a hill i did when i first arrived and it felt considerably easier than previously.

Haha, honestly, this is the sort of thing that puts me off moving somewhere hot. I love greenery. When I go out in the spring in the UK and the sun is shining and the land is rolling green hills I am in a very happy place. I would definitely go somewhere with a better climate than the UK but not as dry as some of Spain etc.

Soldato

Same as @fez, i think 2 bikes can be a good thing. Just don't make them the same. Looks like your Canyon can take 35mm tyres, but if you picked up some 650b wheels then you could probably stick 40's on and have a cracking gravel bike.

Haha, honestly, this is the sort of thing that puts me off moving somewhere hot. I love greenery. When I go out in the spring in the UK and the sun is shining and the land is rolling green hills I am in a very happy place. I would definitely go somewhere with a better climate than the UK but not as dry as some of Spain etc.

100% agree, i do miss the rolling hills of the Ribble Valley/Lake District, although not as much as i thought i would and the dryness more than offsets it for me. I think it helps that whilst not green you get loads of varied agriculture so get a nice mix of Olive, Almond and Citrus trees. The valleys during the Almond blossom as stunning.

Soldato
I think my ultimate only takes up to 32mm but if I'm honest, gravel riding (or any other type that doesn't involve smooth tarmac) doesn't really appeal to me.

Which goes back to the start. The Ultimate I currently have and the Tarmac I plan to get are going to be fairly similar really. The Ultimate will just be left to cold/wet duties along with the turbo and the Tarmac will be my spring/summer/exceptionally dry winter day weapon. Hopefully :cry:

Soldato
I think my ultimate only takes up to 32mm but if I'm honest, gravel riding (or any other type that doesn't involve smooth tarmac) doesn't really appeal to me.

Which goes back to the start. The Ultimate I currently have and the Tarmac I plan to get are going to be fairly similar really. The Ultimate will just be left to cold/wet duties along with the turbo and the Tarmac will be my spring/summer/exceptionally dry winter day weapon. Hopefully :cry:

Ah, thought it was the endurance for some reason.

That's still as good a plan as any i guess. Especially not having to remove the bike from the Turbo to ride outside.

Soldato
Looking warmer from middle of this week here but still a fair bit of rain. Rode over to help at our club TT and it was zero when I left the house this morning. Full winter kit and had to pack a down coat for standing around, ffs.
Pretty much the same here... Rode out to local Road Race to help marshal, great success and loads of fun even though not many riders - BC got behind it so had a bunch of very experienced outriders and organisers. Linked to the new cycle track we have, using that as a push for more road racing in Herefordshire. Club who used to run the RR kinda stopped it a year or so before Covid, so we've been overdue getting something back. As where really one of the few counties around here without an annual RR! Great experience and we had weather loads better than forecast, with no rain, less winds and amazing sunshine! I rode out at 8.15 and caught the tail end of the rain, block headwind and 3-4 degrees. On the way home at 1pm it was 14-15 degrees & I totally melted! :D

I got sick of the weather apps playing games about when the rain would start today, so flogged myself doing the first two Zwift Insider Tiny Races instead.

That was a baptism of fire, no chance of attempting the third or fourth race! :eek:
They're brutal, some very good regular racers in them these days!

I know I'm tempting fate now, but I've had Gator Hardshells on my winter bike for 2 months now riding in some pretty bad conditions and I don't think I've had a puncture with them, which for me, is kind of amazing! I check them now and then, like today I picked two bits of stone/flint out with no worries. One was huge too! I guess the rubber itself might not be too different from faster tyres, but maybe the layer/lining under the rubber is what makes the difference?
The Gatorshell where always traditionally a tough and heavy tyre, but we've always blasted them in here (more tradition than anything else) for being slippy and poor in the rain. Usually because they're spec/recommended by places like Halfrauds and we like to think we know better (there where always cheaper & better tyres!). But being Continental then quite likely they've delveloped and improved them, not to mention the Hardshell being different again. How heavy do you find them?

Probably over did it in the end as I went out with the full shebang. thermal base layer, winter coat, thermal legwarmers and overshoes. Got to a point I was feeling pretty warm but never uncomfortably so but I much rather that than feel cold because I am a massive fanny and a tiny bit of chill has me whinging :cry:
Same here... I'll nearly always overdress (bit of a running joke in my club), but due to my short commute and being office based I'd rather be warm and taper my efforts/layers to stop overheating, than being cool/cold and not be able to warm up!

I am hoping it's just a case of replacing the cables and having it indexed rather than the actual shifter being broken. To be fair, I've done 10K on it it and it hasn't been serviced before, only had the chain replaced so it's definitely due one.
It *should* just be the cable/outer, but obviously could be more. A LBS will obviously try and tell you other things are 'worn and should be changed', but always treat that as advisory on what to plan for at some point (like your car MOT!). I've had a bike shop tell me I needed new chainrings, a new cassette and chain, "oh you mean the chain and cassette you sold me a couple of months ago and I only fitted last week have worn out already?"... Obviously not. :rolleyes:

My bikes is currently soaking and i can't be bothered trying to go dry it, but i know i should. This isn't meant to happen in Spain :mad:
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Wait, we're meant to be drying out our bikes after the rain? I forgot but mine doesn't seem to be made of sugar... :D

Oh **** you :mad:

A9UozMd.png

T2dIA2k.png

Thats the next 12 days here. We will be in June at this rate before we get even a few days of something other that **** on the trot. If this is genuinely the weather we can expect in the UK going forwards I will seriously consider moving abroad. This year has been miserable so far.
Wow nice where you are. Mine is about the same, with less sunlight, lows of 4-5 degrees and nothing above 15 degrees until Tuesday 7th! (MET Office app, BBC is a bit better!) :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's very tempting. I can't really justify it at the moment. I'm really hoping it's just a case that the cable wire has snapped or something and it'll be a relatively cheap fix.
Cheap fix: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHIMANO-Shift-Inner-Outer-Y60098501/dp/B00YP2RPXY - can obviously find cheaper from cycling specific places & alternatives from other brands.

If you do it yourself obviously... And Likely just the cable (£2.50-3?) rather than the outer, but with that distance (10,000 km is what, nearly 7k miles?) likely just gunk/dirt in the housing, then if you've not been 'servicing' (I don't mean cleaning!) it can block the cable moving freely, causes wear so the cable frays and can eventually snap. If anything cleaning more will cause it more - water getting into the housings causing rust/corrosion in the outer. Easily mitigated with some grease/lube at those points of friction/water ingress. But certainly the costs involved something worth learning yourself - as very linked to smooth shifting. Also replacing cables can be fiddly so take time, but are a cheap consumable, so you'll end up paying 'workshop time' far in excess of the component... Like paying for a LBS to replace a chain.

I honestly hate you lot. I may have laid some groundwork with my partner that it may well end up being expensive as I have to replace so many parts at once and I’m really annoyed that I may need to buy a new groupset. So frustrating…

She sighed and said “well you use your bike a lot so if you have to spend money just get it over with”.

I’d obviously prefer to get it fixed for cheap but we will see.
Liar :D

In other news... Still not ridden my Tarmac (wtf!). I've got an Invisiframe kit to fit to it, which is best done before it gets any 'road grime' on it. Also easier without things like cranks fitted... Then the kit involves spraying lots of water + shampoo around so I can't do it indoors and they recommend the temperatures being no cooler than 16 degrees (ideally 18)... So I'm temperature watching for a weekend afternoon with several hours of 18+ degrees. In the UK. In April. HAHAHA

Last edited:
Associate
I have my first sportive next weekend and took annual leave to do a 90-100mile ride to help with planning fuelling. Obviously the weather tomorrow is terrible with 10mm of rain over 4 hours.

I may do an Uber pretzel then maybe go outside in the afternoon if the road surface isnt too wet. If it rains on the sportive I will cross that bridge if I need to, but I just can’t enjoy cycling in heavy rain.

Reactions: fez
Soldato
Anyone officially doing the Isle Of Wight Randonnee on 5th May, or even just simply doing the island circuit unofficially on the day?

So many times in the past I've lost track of the date and saw Strava uploads that evening, this year I knew but absolutely no way I could complete it.
Climbing from Ventnor esplanade to the top of Down Lane is still on my "to do" list, it's a bigger climb than anything on mainland Hampshire by elevation.

Doing ~47 miles on Tuesday at fractions over 12mph was by far my longest ride by distance and time since Queen Liz's funeral day in September '22, in the past I've done fairly hilly 100km rides in less time and not felt so dead/sore afterwards!

Associate
I have my first sportive next weekend and took annual leave to do a 90-100mile ride to help with planning fuelling. Obviously the weather tomorrow is terrible with 10mm of rain over 4 hours.

I may do an Uber pretzel then maybe go outside in the afternoon if the road surface isnt too wet. If it rains on the sportive I will cross that bridge if I need to, but I just can’t enjoy cycling in heavy rain.
The weather was even worse this morning and it only stopped 1 hour ago. I started the full PRL ride but then my laptop crashed after 90 minutes. Not wanting to be beaten I jumped on and completed the Uber pretzel.

Total today:
7 hours
180km
3043m climbing

Feeling broken but looks like I should be able to complete the century ride next week (160km 2000m climb).

fez

fez

Caporegime
In other news... Still not ridden my Tarmac (wtf!). I've got an Invisiframe kit to fit to it, which is best done before it gets any 'road grime' on it. Also easier without things like cranks fitted... Then the kit involves spraying lots of water + shampoo around so I can't do it indoors and they recommend the temperatures being no cooler than 16 degrees (ideally 18)... So I'm temperature watching for a weekend afternoon with several hours of 18+ degrees. In the UK. In April. HAHAHA

Does the moon have to be waxing gibbous as well!

Back
Top Bottom