Road Cycling

Soldato
Finally got around to making my own homemade Maurten/Styrkr mix before my 75 miler yesterday.

(Link if anyone wants a photo)

I went with:

1000g maltodextrin
800g fructose
60g electrolytes
100g glutamine

Makes a 20x serving batch, and costs about 90p per serving. Gives around 90g carbs per serving, so on par with SiS Beta/Maurten etc

No complaints from first outing. Just tastes ‘sweet’ like Maurten and Styrkr.
finally ordered mine ingredients ;)
went for tri mix with electrolytes and glutamine

fez

fez

Caporegime
Do you guys mix your energy and electrolytes or keep em separate? I take 2 750ml bottles out with me but on longer hard rides I probably want to take 150g plus of sugar with me.

Soldato
Do you guys mix your energy and electrolytes or keep em separate? I take 2 750ml bottles out with me but on longer hard rides I probably want to take 150g plus of sugar with me.
That's gonna be my 1st mix and I went for premix of 3carbs with electrolytes in it. Just adding glutamine
1kg packet

If that works, will premix all - or just buy more :)
Huge saving compared to branded packaging and amount you buy

Reactions: fez

fez

fez

Caporegime
That's gonna be my 1st mix and I went for premix of 3carbs with electrolytes in it. Just adding glutamine
1kg packet

If that works, will premix all - or just buy more :)
Huge saving compared to branded packaging and amount you buy

Yep, the branded stuff is expensive. I take some gels out with me for a quick hit if I really need it but usually I come back with all of them. I got a bunch of the high5 ones that are ~50p each when on offer. The more expensive ones are £1~ which is madness IMO.

Soldato
I just bought some of the Tri-Carb mix as I had just finished my High5 tub. £18 for 2kg seems decent enough.

I actually need to buy some more gels. I prefer the SIS ones but I prefer the price of the High5 gels. The Mango ones are nice but recently I've been going for the raspberry ones which also have electrolytes in then.

Soldato
over last few months i gtot better and manage to drink less and use less gels
this drink will be tested for girona trip where hot weather will be a killer...and might use extra energy in those conditions.

its silly what new companies charge... esp ones that are advertised everywhere now and used by influencers...

Soldato
I just bought some of the Tri-Carb mix as I had just finished my High5 tub. £18 for 2kg seems decent enough.

I actually need to buy some more gels. I prefer the SIS ones but I prefer the price of the High5 gels. The Mango ones are nice but recently I've been going for the raspberry ones which also have electrolytes in then.
I switched to the Hi5 gels recently and find them a nightmare - weird texture (too liquid??), invariably go everywhere, and really sticky. Plus they taste rank.

Very much regretting my choice!

fez

fez

Caporegime

Just as a reference, 5kg of maltodextrin from MP is ~£12 currently and 2.5kg of fructose was ~£15 so I guess £40 for 10kg. You have to mix it yourself and it doesn't have any flavouring but its a fair bit cheaper.

its silly what new companies charge... esp ones that are advertised everywhere now and used by influencers...

Mad what people will pay for things that have fancy packaging and are pimped by influencers. Theres a reason people want to be an influencer. Big money. The likes of athletic greens with their £100/month greens powder etc.

I switched to the Hi5 gels recently and find them a nightmare - weird texture (too liquid??), invariably go everywhere, and really sticky. Plus they taste rank.

I'll send you over my address and you can dispose of them to me! Which flavour did you get and how on earth are you getting them everywhere :p

I tear off the top, put in mouth and squeeze/suck until gone.

Soldato

I definitely find them a bit too liquid for my tastes and much prefer the consistency of the SIS ones but the price of the High5 ones makes me get over it! What flavour did you try? I really like the mango and raspberry ones

But the Cherry and Apple SIS gels are top tier when it comes to flavour/consistency.

Just as a reference, 5kg of maltodextrin from MP is ~£12 currently and 2.5kg of fructose was ~£15 so I guess £40 for 10kg. You have to mix it yourself and it doesn't have any flavouring but its a fair bit cheaper.

I'll give that a go next time! I presume you could just add something to it to add some flavour though? Are the powders mostly tasteless?

fez

fez

Caporegime
I definitely find them a bit too liquid for my tastes and much prefer the consistency of the SIS ones but the price of the High5 ones makes me get over it! What flavour did you try? I really like the mango and raspberry ones

But the Cherry and Apple SIS gels are top tier when it comes to flavour/consistency.

I'll give that a go next time! I presume you could just add something to it to add some flavour though? Are the powders mostly tasteless?

Got the berry high5 gels and they are fine to my taste. As to flavouring the homemade mix, I usually just stick a little squash in there or half a squeezed lime to cut through the sweetness. Honestly I could probably survive without adding anything.

Soldato
What are you, a hobbit!
Are we all not? I am, at least when it comes to multiple breakfasts & snacking all the time! Oh and hairs on my toes? Only really noticed them in my late 30's. Odd. :D :cry:

Anyone else thinking the standard of driving (yes aware we are starting from a low bar) has *reeally* declined in the last couple of weeks?<snip>

Kind of wish I had a camera.

/rant
I'd say last 3-4 years, maybe even since Covid, driving standards seem to be slipping. More and more close/punishment passes. More and more horns and abuse.

Bonus is my local Police force online Portal although it looks the same (uses NextBase) is now pretty active. On a whim I reported someone last autumn on it to test if it had changed. Had a response within a few hours saying the plate wasn't clear enough to process it.

I've submitted 4-5 since then and have had 3 drivers they are "taking action" against so have asked me to retain the original footage. I do anyway. 2 of them where bad/stupid/dangerous, the 3rd wasn't even that close, just someone sat on their horn abusing me for not using the cycle path - when the shared use had ended and the footpath barely 60cm wide so isn't a cycle path. Idiot. Was quite surprised they responded to that one - I recognised the vehicle so probably local to me, or has done similar before.

I've recorded 'every ride' (ok maybe more like 90% due to forgetting or battery flat) since Jan 2016. Have to say now with my restored faith in submitting I'm considering a new GoPro and replacing my old original Garmin VIRB.

I will be going at it again but it will probably be 2026.
Goodluck in advance! DO IT! GET IT DONE! Planning several things myself for the same - more events, longer rides etc. At least while I'm young (ha!) -ish and have the fitness. Also new bike so no excuses! If anything telling myself have to justify it by crossing some things off I've always talked about...

What I really need to do is do one of the loops I used to treat as a fast ride. 2 years ago my best time was 70 minutes. I'd like to see how much I could shave off that route.

I'm just sticking to my training and reminding myself that I'm doing this for a new bike (who cares about being fitter, healthier and faster when I can be on a shiny new bike) and it's making me be consistent.
There's big 'gains' to come from consistency. Even if you're really just doing the same thing. You can get 'stuck in a rut' but really that doesn't matter, as that rut will be a level of fitness to sustain. Treat that as your 'normal' - then build other things on top of it. Then when you get ill/need time off/go on holiday, you have that baseline sustained - or at least should be within reach to get back to.

Out of interest to all that has done ride London before, what are the feeding points like ? I'm hearing conflicting views.
They've always been bad - or from what I've heard the last few years. Aim to be self sufficient, but also if you're in an early wave riding past and the queue looks short probably worth a look if it's not empty as might be things there you can top up your supplies with. Even better if you can finish with food.

@bastic have fun! Still on mine and going well. Even been on a few big rides with just my mix, instead of one bottle mine and other branded.
Good to hear & well done! Revisiting this now, certainly with the plan to do more longer rides & events this year...

I'd keep them separate, especially if you're carrying 2 bottles anyway.

But I've never had an energy drink mix that agrees with me when out riding so don't do them. Will occasionally use a can of generic stuff when Zwifting, but not cycling specific. Cleaner the better for me generally with digestion as seems to stop me getting a stitch. Monster/Red Bull type stuff doesn't really agree with me on the bike (too gassy so get a stitch/uncomfortable), but I've found the cycling specific stuff really hit and miss... Not on the bike (most do their job) but afterwards with an upset stomach for hours, or even next day or 2 like mild food poisoning. So I've come to avoid them - I get no effects like that from sugar sweets, so jelly babies or haribo are much easier to use as 'fuel' when I need a boost, otherwise I'll generally be on hydro tabs (High5) to flavour my bottles and stop cramping and more grainy/fruity type bars to fuel me. NAKD, TRIBE or anything generic 'breakfast bar' which has nuts and grains in I'll use...

Last edited:
Reactions: fez
Soldato
Nutrition prices are absolutely nuts. I've been looking at solid bar options and all the cycling specific ones are in the region of £5-6/hour if you're targeting 80-100g of carbs. I've bought some more Nakd bars and will just mix up my own drinks (combination of caster sugar and maltodextrin giving a 1:0.8 mix of glucose and fructose).

Back
Top Bottom