Road Tripping in the USA!

Soldato
Hey everyone, wondering what everyones current opinions are on needing to get a US SIM /e-SIM for data? Haven't done a road trip since 2016 and don't remember really struggling back then. This trip is more theme park oriented so wondering if data might be more useful. They don't look particularly cheap.
When I went for three weeks I picked up a SIM card in the US. I'm going for two weeks to Florida later this year, I will just use the theme park WiFi and a couple of days addon with my UK allowance.

Soldato
Hi

Slightly different but looking for a more 'interesting' family holiday next summer (mid July) and thinking of a mini fly drive West coast trip.

Will have a 7 year old and 4 year old with us. Aim is to do a mix of fun stuff for them (disney, universal, perhaps one or two others) as well as some down time for a few days in somewhere with nice (but tolerable for the kids) weather. I wanted to do vegas or palm springs but they just seem too hot...40+!!

Thinking of something like -

Fly into LAX, day to recover
4/5 days disney/universal with a day off in between

South to legoland. Possibly stay here for a few days? Seem to be some nice hotels around the park. Place is called carlsbad, any experience?

South to Dan Diego for SeaWorld and the Zoo
Back to LAX

Have two weeks in total. Really want a few days downtime in a family friendly hotel / resort and if anyone knew of any good places (ideally 30c ish and sunny) would base the rest of the itinerary around that... I guess if it was central LA it would save on car hire but can't tell if that's a sensible idea!

Thoughts very welcome :)

Seaworld in 2023? are people still going to these places to see imprisoned orcas?

Good luck with the traffic around LA thats all im gonna say xD

Associate
Hey everyone, wondering what everyones current opinions are on needing to get a US SIM /e-SIM for data? Haven't done a road trip since 2016 and don't remember really struggling back then. This trip is more theme park oriented so wondering if data might be more useful. They don't look particularly cheap.

I used Airalo (eSIM) with no issues in the US recently to save faffing about with swapping a 3G PAYG SIM in. Just downloaded the app and activated it when I landed, no issues.
Think I paid about £23 for 10GB/30 days as it was a long trip, inevitably didn't use anything close to 10GB from mainly maps usage though.

Man of Honour
Heading to USA for 2 and a bit weeks 11th August to 26th August. Got 5 nights booked in NYC, then plan is to drive. Ive done most of New England before so tempted to go south for a bit, though NASCAR at the Glen is calling me on the middle Sunday. Welcome suggestions for nice locations, nice seaside type locations (think quaint harbour type over wild beaches) heading south. Carolinas perhaps, maybe Virginia in a loop as decided to fly back from JFK.

Soldato
Seen this mentioned already but what the hell is going on with car hire prices in the US? Last time I was in Vegas I had a Mustang for 5 days for about £250. Going to Vegas again in February and now even the cheapest available car is edging £500 and a Mustang would be £700. Mental. Even looked at getting a car for just 2 days and that's still ~£180 through uscarhire.com - any suggestions on if it's even possible to get something cheaper?

Soldato
Seen this mentioned already but what the hell is going on with car hire prices in the US? Last time I was in Vegas I had a Mustang for 5 days for about £250. Going to Vegas again in February and now even the cheapest available car is edging £500 and a Mustang would be £700. Mental. Even looked at getting a car for just 2 days and that's still ~£180 through uscarhire.com - any suggestions on if it's even possible to get something cheaper?
Definatley more expensive. I was after an SUV for a 2 week Florida trip thats coming up, I wasn't sure which way prices were going so I booked one months ago and it was £800, checked again 2 weeks ago and rebooked for £460. Still a lot more than it used to be. Only cheaper options were off airport and companies I never heard of.

Man of Honour
Most car hire was over a grand for crap for 2 weeeks, some up around 2000 but bagged a 3 Series with Sixt for 1100 all in. Most were more for a Camry

Last edited:
Soldato
Most car hire was over a grand for crap for 2 weeeks, some up around 2000 but bagged a 3 Series with Sixt for 1100 all in. Most were more for a Camry

That's pretty good. I just paid a little under £500 for 1 week but went for the cheapest option which is apparently a Kia Soul or similar. I'm hoping to get the or similar :p

Commissario
Crazy how much it’s gone up, just checked my bookings in 2019 and it was £360 for a Mustang for a week!

Soldato
We’ve just re-booked our care hire for our road trip in September as the prices have come down a lot! Standard SUV for 17 days, pick up from San Fran, £637! That’s with Alamo. Seems like a bargain to me.

Man of Honour
Picking up a 3 Series from JFK to head to Boston in 3 hours. Cab from Manhattan to airport not my first choice but will do the job.

Soldato
We’ve just re-booked our care hire for our road trip in September as the prices have come down a lot! Standard SUV for 17 days, pick up from San Fran, £637! That’s with Alamo. Seems like a bargain to me.

Couldn't quite get that in August (on our trip right now), but was £680 for a fortnight for a Premium (80 mile old Maxima) from Alamo.

Was a breeze to collect it also, straight to the desk, useless woman in the car park who directed us wrong and then her colleague who knew exactly where our car was. All of the others had queues that had to be at least an hour to maybe three hours in length!

Soldato
Just got back from Orlando, ended up with a BMW X3 SDrive 30i seemed highly specced and was for £460 for 2 weeks. First time I used SIXT but experience was in line with everyone else I ever used, they have a app where you can pick your car 30 mins before pickup and go straight to the garage. Something to do whilst waiting for the bags.

Soldato
Just got back from Orlando, ended up with a BMW X3 SDrive 30i seemed highly specced and was for £460 for 2 weeks. First time I used SIXT but experience was in line with everyone else I ever used, they have a app where you can pick your car 30 mins before pickup and go straight to the garage. Something to do whilst waiting for the bags.
Wow I ended up paying $200 for two days with some full size car.l, guess I got ripped off by Avis Orlando. On a side note everything drives like junk after owning an EV, literally all noise and no action (well until the engine gets around to responding).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom