Roadies: When do you trim?

Soldato
No, not the manscaping variety, the gear variety.

I'm running Ultegra R8000 mechanical, 2x11. When I'm in big bertha up front, I find I have to activate the trim of the front derailleur probably around cog 5 (big to small) of the 11-32 rear cassette. What cog do you guys find you have to trim at?

fez

fez

Caporegime
Di2 m8, does it all for me. Auto-trim for days.

With the way it works it only functions nicely if you have your gears indexed really well. Otherwise your fd will be too far over and you need to do it earlier in the block than you should.

Caporegime
You seriously have to trim mid ride to change gears?
You might wanna reset all your derailleur alignments adjusting the limit screws etc, unless you tried already.

also you checked your chain wear? and cogs? you should change the cogs like every 2-3 chains.

your index screws might have just vibrated a bit loose though if your bike is 1+ years old

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You seriously have to trim mid ride to change gears?
You might wanna reset all your derailleur alignments adjusting the limit screws etc, unless you tried already.

also you checked your chain wear? and cogs? you should change the cogs like every 2-3 chains.

your index screws might have just vibrated a bit loose though if your bike is 1+ years old
I'm not sure you have the concept of the trim function in mind here. The trim function is designed into the FD to allow you to run cross chain (large large) without FD rasping. It's a half shift on the FD shifter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom