RTS games and other recommendations?

Soldato
Hi

Got a gaming laptop at weekend to play mostly rts type games, can anyone recommend me some and anything else worth playing. I have an Xbox and ps5 so prefer to use them for anything more graphically intensive such as FPS and big AAA games and exclusives.

I’ve played Manor Lords so far but been away from pc for a long time so likely missed a lot. I like City builders and games like AoE, Command and Conquer, but anything else that’s interesting anyone can think of as well please?

Also I have gamepass ultimate, apart from that is steam the go to place to buy games?

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Long enough to have missed Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander? More laterly there's XCom and the Wargame series.

There's always the total war series too.

All of those are available on Steam as far as I know

Associate
The entire suite of command and conquer games called "command and conquer ultimate edition" are currently on sale on Steam and EA app until 13th May in the publisher sale - all 17 games for £9. Despite age some of them still look remarkably good.

For newer games look to Rift Breaker (excellent), Tropico 6 (Great fun), Anno 1800 or Starship Troopers

Best place to buy games is CDKEYS.COM, who are always cheaper unless Steam has a sale on

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Long enough to have missed Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander? More laterly there's XCom and the Wargame series.

There's always the total war series too.

All of those are available on Steam as far as I know

I think I played the first Company of Heroes, not sure about Supreme Commander, I vaguely remember playing something very similar.

Im looking forward to Broken Arrow, believe that comes out later this year.

Associate
If you enjoyed supreeme commander/C+C type games then beyond all reason is free and pretty great.

I also still like Dawn of War Soulstorm (2003ish) the mod community has done excellent work keeping it playable and active.

Edit: anno 1800 is also worth a look

Last edited:
Associate
Stellaris (on GPU)
Empire At War
Sins of a Solar Empire
Grey Goo
Homeworld
Dawn of War
CnC Remastered (on GPU)
Terra Invicta (on GPU)
Dune Spice Wars (on GPU)
Halo Wars 1+2 (on GPU)
Crusader Kings 3 (on GPU)
Supreme Commander
Beyond All Reason

Anno 1800 (not much strategy to it)
Farthest Frontier (not much strategy)
Factorio (logistics management while defending your base from aliens)
Cities Skylines (no strategy, I believe #2 is on GPU but not sure how that's going, there's a thread somewhere)
Rimworld

I've not played all/most of these, but have heard good things about them. IMO anything on GPU is worth a punt first as you've already got access to them.

Pure strategy, I'd probably put Supreme Commander at the top. It's old, can have issues, but there's a rather large modding community out there with, i'm fairly sure, two different launchers. Forged Alliance Forever I believe is the bigger one.
Beyond All Reason I'm told is pretty much a modern SupCom, but I've not played it. It's free.
Grey Goo, IIRC, has something to do with the original CnC teams. The guy who did the music for CnC did it for Grey Goo too. I don't think it was that well received, but I thought it was good.

Anno 1800 is probably my favourite game on this list. It's a city/economy/logistic management game with some ship battles vs other players/AI (including pirates).
Factorio is the contender for my favourite game on this list. Logistic management game, where you need to expand to find more resources and come into contact with Alien bugs. They advance and become more aggressive as you pump out more pollution from your base. Fair few mods around, including on that takes you to space, though the expansion that's coming will do something similar IIRC.
Cities Skylines is a city builder, probably the best one out there. It's got lots of mods that add lots of content. It's also a Paradox game so there's a ton of DLC, some worth it, some not. Build transport infrastructure, plan city services, plan city zoning etc etc etc.

Soldato
OP
Stellaris (on GPU)
Empire At War
Sins of a Solar Empire
Grey Goo
Homeworld
Dawn of War
CnC Remastered (on GPU)
Terra Invicta (on GPU)
Dune Spice Wars (on GPU)
Halo Wars 1+2 (on GPU)
Crusader Kings 3 (on GPU)
Supreme Commander
Beyond All Reason

Anno 1800 (not much strategy to it)
Farthest Frontier (not much strategy)
Factorio (logistics management while defending your base from aliens)
Cities Skylines (no strategy, I believe #2 is on GPU but not sure how that's going, there's a thread somewhere)
Rimworld

I've not played all/most of these, but have heard good things about them. IMO anything on GPU is worth a punt first as you've already got access to them.

Pure strategy, I'd probably put Supreme Commander at the top. It's old, can have issues, but there's a rather large modding community out there with, i'm fairly sure, two different launchers. Forged Alliance Forever I believe is the bigger one.
Beyond All Reason I'm told is pretty much a modern SupCom, but I've not played it. It's free.
Grey Goo, IIRC, has something to do with the original CnC teams. The guy who did the music for CnC did it for Grey Goo too. I don't think it was that well received, but I thought it was good.

Anno 1800 is probably my favourite game on this list. It's a city/economy/logistic management game with some ship battles vs other players/AI (including pirates).
Factorio is the contender for my favourite game on this list. Logistic management game, where you need to expand to find more resources and come into contact with Alien bugs. They advance and become more aggressive as you pump out more pollution from your base. Fair few mods around, including on that takes you to space, though the expansion that's coming will do something similar IIRC.
Cities Skylines is a city builder, probably the best one out there. It's got lots of mods that add lots of content. It's also a Paradox game so there's a ton of DLC, some worth it, some not. Build transport infrastructure, plan city services, plan city zoning etc etc etc.

Will check some of these out what are on GPU, after my laptop purchase I don't want to spend anymore for a while!

I played Crusader Kings on Xbox, couldn't get into it on that, but I find that with most rts games on console, even when using a mouse, I just think find them better and easier on pc/laptop.

City Skylines 2 is indeed on GPU, but as you say not sure what the state of that is, I think it's slightly better optimised now from what I read. I might try that next.

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surprised its not already been suggested. However, If you like C&C, have a look at 8-Bit Armies/9-Bit Armies. Great for a bit of pick up and play C&C RTS style play.

8-Bit has been out for a good few years now. However for not much more you can pick up 9-Bit for a couple quid more on Early Access, it was only released earlier this year.

Soldato

It has some significant gameplay differences which take a bit of getting used to, but it's definitely in the spirit of supcomm and well worth a go if you enjoyed SC/FA.

Great fun multiplayer, the hardest AIs are absolutely brutal as well

Soldato
its a Totall annihilation successor. more than a SupCom successor.

Zero-K is also worth a look and free - co-op campaign

theres already a lot of good suggestions. it does depend on your play style and what you like.
i might also suggest Supreme Commander 2 - its a quicker play through and completly differant style to Supreme commander Forged Alliance (i receomened SUPCOM Forged Alliance Forever).

They are Billions - is worth a look see also.

A.I. War Fleet Command

Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 + Uprising - were a fun comp and can be played co-op campaign

Particle Fleet: Emergence - same dev and similr story line as the Creap World game series.

Creap World 4 - its creap world! and lots of purple Goo who doesnt like purple Goo!!

Soldato
OP
Ok so thinking of purchasing Company of Heroes 2 or 3, both are cheap on cdkeys, the latter is £10.99, is that a good deal, 2 is cheaper but Im not sure which one is the better game.

Tried Cities Skylines 2 earlier, but hate how the fans ramp up and cpu temp goes into low 80s. I realise this is a demanding game, but wow, it seems badly optimised.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok so thinking of purchasing Company of Heroes 2 or 3, both are cheap on cdkeys, the latter is £10.99, is that a good deal, 2 is cheaper but Im not sure which one is the better game.

Tried Cities Skylines 2 earlier, but hate how the fans ramp up and cpu temp goes into low 80s. I realise this is a demanding game, but wow, it seems badly optimised.

Thanks
if it has the steam icon it means you need to redeam it on that platform usally.

start with Company of Heroes 2 for the price and see if its the type of game you want is my advise. its more recource constrained than say C&C games as i remember with a lot more mechanics invovled.
2's been around long enough its tried and tested, with plenty of people to get info from.

Back
Top Bottom