Russian Grand Prix 2016, Sochi - Race 4/21

Caporegime
This is the only way Rosberg would ever find himself leading the championship, if Hamilton made mistakes or had a run of bad luck. He must be pinching himself at the moment that he's doing so well.

The annoying thing is he seems to think he's earned it. Wasn't he claiming he was winning a 'straight fight' with Hamilton at some point over the weekend?

He's lucked his way into a sizeable lead he doesn't deserve. Watching that happen is frustrating.

Associate
Rofl, hardly Hamilton fault in 75% of the races.
Rosberg will have mechanical issue and such like.
Will you say the same then.

I have always thought as far as talent is concerned Rosberg and Hamilton are separated by the others misfortune. They are an extremely close pairing, fantastic for the team because if one driver doesn't win the other will. That Mercedes is by far the best car on the grid by a country mile, so if one driver has bad luck or makes a mistake, then the other driver will not only finish in front of his team mate but will go on to win the race unchallenged. Seven race wins in a row is absolutely incredible, but it still doesn't guarantee you a championship. Hamilton could still go on to win this years championship by a huge margin. Small mistakes and luck will decide it.

Associate
you must be blind.
misfortune of repeatedly getting over taken by Hamilton, even when he did qualify front.

Yes that's what I mean, one small mistake like a bad start and the other driver wins. If Hamilton had of aced the start in Melbourne he would have won the race.

Last edited:
Caporegime
They are an extremely close pairing

That Mercedes is by far the best car on the grid

Do you not realize these 2 statements conflict? Rosberg achieved diddly squat before moving to Mercedes. They are not a closely matched pairing, they are just in a car that means no matter what their ability they are only ever in competition with their team mate, which gives the impression of being evenly matched, but is actually just flattering them.

In a field of even cars, Rosberg would be at the back end of the points most races.

Associate
Do you not realize these 2 statements conflict? Rosberg achieved diddly squat before moving to Mercedes. They are not a closely matched pairing, they are just in a car that means no matter what their ability they are only ever in competition with their team mate, which gives the impression of being evenly matched, but is actually just flattering them.

In a field of even cars, Rosberg would be at the back end of the points most races.

I think that is an unfair assessment of Rosberg. Let's remember in the early days of Mercedes, he consistently beat seven times world champion Michael Schmacher. If Hamilton took the same journey into F1 as Rosberg, he wouldn't have achieved anything until he arrived at Mercedes and help build it into a dream team.

Soldato
If Rosberg hadn't dominated the tail-end of 2015 I would be inclined to say Hamilton would be leading this year as he did last, but for whatever reason Hamilton took his eye off the ball after winning the title last season and who's to say he would be ahead of Rosberg this year given a level playing field? They've been pretty level throughout the season in most sessions.

Yes Hamilton has had some terrible luck (and equally made his own mistakes at the start), but he was never going to catch let alone beat Rosberg on Sunday. Rosberg was just taking it easy through the traffic, as any leader without pressure would, and when he wanted to at the end he turned it up just to prove a point, even stopping Massa getting the fastest lap on his new super-softs.

Soldato
And that's why people hate him - no concept of sportsmanship or humility, he just wants to win any way he can and would happily take the championship if he was the only car to finish every race and claim he was the greatest driver ever.

It's the same distasteful person we saw punching the air and jumping for joy after last year's Monaco GP, when he was handed the race by a team mistake. Sure, not his fault the team screwed up but a little humility and recognition of the fact he didn't earn the win would go a long way to ingratiating himself with fans.

If he actually considers this a straight fight it says a lot about his talent i suppose. He's basically saying a Hamilton having issues/getting in tangles levels their playing field... :o:p

Caporegime
If Rosberg hadn't dominated the tail-end of 2015 I would be inclined to say Hamilton would be leading this year as he did last, but for whatever reason Hamilton took his eye off the ball after winning the title last season and who's to say he would be ahead of Rosberg this year given a level playing field? They've been pretty level throughout the season in most sessions.

Yes Hamilton has had some terrible luck (and equally made his own mistakes at the start), but he was never going to catch let alone beat Rosberg on Sunday. Rosberg was just taking it easy through the traffic, as any leader without pressure would, and when he wanted to at the end he turned it up just to prove a point, even stopping Massa getting the fastest lap on his new super-softs.

Mercedes changed things on the car (braking, IIRC?) for the last 3 races last year that Hamilton didn't like, yet they wouldn't change it back.

Soldato
Mercedes changed things on the car (braking, IIRC?) for the last 3 races last year that Hamilton didn't like, yet they wouldn't change it back.

Given they had brake-by-wire issues last season, maybe it was changed on a reliability basis? I doubt they wouldn't change back if there wasn't a genuine reason.

To be fair it probably is quite hard to enjoy winning when every man and his dog is saying the only reason he's winning is due to the bad luck of his team mate and other drivers.

Just to clarify I do think that's true. :p

Last edited:
Associate

I must say, it is strange that personnel have been switched around within the Mercedes team. Isn't it interesting tho that Rosbergs side of the garage is now performing like a fine Swiss watch. Does this indicate that Rosberg has been shafted this last few years with a dare I say it, a below par team performance compared to the other side of the garage. Just a thought, could you imagine the answer during Micheal's era at Ferrari if they told him, we are switching your mechanics with your team mate!!

Back
Top Bottom