Russian Grand Prix 2016, Sochi - Race 4/21

Man of Honour
I can't help but feel if you're following another car closely it's just going get caked with oil and exhaust residue. Disaster waiting to happen. If an engine blows up infront of you and you get oil splatters all over your shield, are you supposed to pull over and retire? Too dangerous to crawl around at low speed with no visibility.

Caporegime
Looks like Pirelli dropped the ball here. Even with everyone going with as many Super Softs and Softs as possible its still likely to be a 1 stop race for most people.

Caporegime
Yeah there's 5 compounds this year with the addition of a Purple striped Ultra Soft below the Super Soft.

It looks like they may only appear at Monaco.

Man of Honour
Now that you mention it I remember them doing a poll on the colour for the new compound stripe.

Seems a bit of a waste to bring in a new compound if they're not really going to use it though.

Caporegime
Yeah it is. I know that it's hard for them as if they get it wrong then it can basically ruin a whole weekend. But they have been far to cautious here. They aim for at least 2 stops.

Soldato
They could have brought the Ultra Softs.

They said before the season that they were only for the street circuits.

Perhaps being designed for such slow circuits the ultra-softs aren't designed to survive the prolonged high-G from corners like turn 3? Obviously I know they tested them at Barcelona and turn 3 there is obviously sustained high load too, but maybe they were instructed to back off a touch or not to run more than a single flat-out lap at a time.

We don't know what's been said, but Pirelli can't risk another Silverstone 2013, and in these times of massively limited tyre testing they just can't take the chances.

Soldato
LOL, assume that's a baiting tactic MrKnifey? :D

I'm offshore this weekend, so wont be able to see quali, or the race. Hoping McLaren can keep it together and drag that car into a couple of points... Although I'm sure they'll go on fire, or have something break.

Back
Top Bottom