• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX6800 suddenly stopped working

Associate
I have a reference 6RX6800 GPU which was happily running in a water-cooled custom loop for months but suddenly stopped working when trying to turn on the PC. I get VGA error on bios light reporting and the GPU fans are spinning

I have reinstalled reference cooler and tried on other motherboards but still get the same issue and have contacted the manufacture but as the cooler has been removed they will not rma.

Has anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Soldato
Is there any signs the stock cooler has been removed as perhaps you shouldn’t have mentioned it when trying for an RMA.

Soldato

Check for leaks, and liquid marks on the rear of the card.

Strip card back to bare PCB, and thoroughly clean everything with isopropyl alcohol, if you have hard to reach/delicate places use a point cotton bud soaked in it. Re-fit stock cooler, and check the voltages with a DVM on the 8-pin connectors and see if they are in spec.

Associate
OP
Is there any signs the stock cooler has been removed as perhaps you shouldn’t have mentioned it when trying for an RMA.
To water-cool you have to move the thermal pad and replace with thermal paste so yeah they will know when they get the card.

Associate
OP
Check for leaks, and liquid marks on the rear of the card.

Strip card back to bare PCB, and thoroughly clean everything with isopropyl alcohol, if you have hard to reach/delicate places use a point cotton bud soaked in it. Re-fit stock cooler, and check the voltages with a DVM on the 8-pin connectors and see if they are in spec.

Yeah I thought I did a pretty good job when i refitted the stock cooler but I think I will try again.

Associate
I have a reference 6RX6800 GPU which was happily running in a water-cooled custom loop for months but suddenly stopped working when trying to turn on the PC. I get VGA error on bios light reporting and the GPU fans are spinning

I have reinstalled reference cooler and tried on other motherboards but still get the same issue and have contacted the manufacture but as the cooler has been removed they will not rma.

Thanks
Do you understand that by law its on them to prove that removing the cooler caused card to brake down.
Its funny how ppl bend over once manufacturer says something.

Soldato
I don't see how that works, you have altered the product they sold so surely they can stipulate that if it is altered in any way it's your problem!?

What if the fault is due to a failure of some component or the chip itself and is not caused by the user dismantling it?

Associate
legally in the uk they cannot refuse warranty unless they can prove you did the damage (they have to prove it not you).. regardless if you took it apart or not. warranty stipulations DO NOT override the law. in the uk we have 6 years to have an issue resolved if found. checked the consumer rights law its all on google...

"It is important to remember that a guarantee does not replace
or limit a customer’s rights. Customers are entitled to raise
a problem with you regarding a product for up to six years
from the date of purchase (five years from the discovery of a
problem in Scotland) regardless of the terms of any guarantee.
Customers are entitled to rely on the remedies available to
them under law (outlined in this guide) rather than their rights
under a guarantee, if they wish.
This means that if a customer complains to you about an item
that is not fit for purpose, does not match the description, or is
not of satisfactory quality, you must deal with their complaint –
you cannot force them to use their guarantee.

Faulty goods, no acceptance (Up to Six years from date of purchase)
If the item does not conform to contract (is faulty) for any of
the reasons mentioned previously, and the customer has not
accepted the goods, the law says the customer is entitled to
• reject the goods and claim a full refund, or
• request a repair or replacement if that is the customer’s
preferred option.
As the retailer, you can offer a repair, a replacement or
a credit note, but you cannot insist on any one of these.
It is the customer’s right to receive a full refund in these
circumstances.
Where a customer is entitled to a full refund because they
have not accepted the goods but have agreed that you may
repair or replace the goods, they can still claim a full refund if
the repair or replacement is
• taking an unreasonable time, or
• causing an unreasonable inconvenience, or"

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/a...e-consumer-work/the-consumer-rights-act-2015/

Associate
Guys I'm just playing devils advocate here, the alloy wheels anecdote is not comparable. The link you have provided states;

You won’t have any legal rights if:

it was damaged by wear and tear, an accident or misuse

I feel that they could argue it has been misused since they don't advertise any compatibility with water cooling products, it's just something enthusiasts do off their own back!

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys I'm just playing devils advocate here, the alloy wheels anecdote is not comparable. The link you have provided states;

You won’t have any legal rights if:

it was damaged by wear and tear, an accident or misuse

I feel that they could argue it has been misused since they don't advertise any compatibility with water cooling products, it's just something enthusiasts do off their own back!

That only applies if the damage was caused by the misuse.

Back
Top Bottom