• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sgarrista
Commissario
With CES just around the corner the Ryzen 7000 X3D chips are expected to be announced with availability by the end of Jan.

Leaks are suggesting the following options:
  • Ryzen 9 7950X3D: 16 MB L2, 192 MB L3, 170W
  • Ryzen 9 7900X3D: 12 MB L2, 192 MB L3, 170W
  • Ryzen 7 7800X3D: 8 MB L2. 96 MB L3, 170W

The 7900 looks like an absolute stormer here, and likely the chip I will pick up.

192MB L3 cache, absolutely disgusting.

Associate
The 7900x3d looks sweet for sure. Saw a leak that said it would be a 25% performance uplift at 1080p vs zen4. Not sure how relevant this will be to 1440p and 2160p resolutions but it should be an nice increase for gaming. Only thing putting me off is the ridiculously high motherboard prices and DDR5 not being as good on AMD platform vs Intel in terms of max frequencies.

Soldato
Tough between 7800 and 7900

Cause they all have same TDP, so 7800 may have the fastest clock speed, but 7900 has double the 3D cache and 50% more cache per core

So we need to wait for benchmarks to see which is better; does little bit higher frequency beat double the 3D cache

Last edited:
Associate
The 7900x3d looks sweet for sure. Saw a leak that said it would be a 25% performance uplift at 1080p vs zen4. Not sure how relevant this will be to 1440p and 2160p resolutions but it should be an nice increase for gaming. Only thing putting me off is the ridiculously high motherboard prices and DDR5 not being as good on AMD platform vs Intel in terms of max frequencies.
One reason for x3D is that it bypass the ram on mboard anyhow for games and apps storage wise
It will be the best tech for gamers.

Associate
i game at high resolutions and the info ive found is that the X3D chips dont affect max fps much here but do improve the 1% lows. i'm not sure if i'll go for a 6ghz 13900KS or a 7000 x3d cpu early next year. not sure which would be best for my use case.

Last edited:
Soldato
I assume the 192MB cache on the higher core CPU's will actually be split, so each chiplet containing x number of cores will have access to 96MB?

Also, I do wonder if the faster, higher bandwidth of DDR5 compared to DDR4 is going to minimise some of theoretical maximum uplift? These 7xxxX3D chips will still be blazing fast though!

Soldato
One reason for x3D is that it bypass the ram on mboard anyhow for games and apps storage wise
It will be the best tech for gamers.
It doesn't bypass the RAM.

Everything still has to get from non-volatile storage (SSD), to RAM, to L3 cache, to L2 cache, to L1 and finally into the CPU registers.

The trick is to write your code in ways that that allows the prefetch engine to get the data into the required caches *before* you need it. Having gigantic caches gives it a lot more leeway for dealing with poorly localised data, and gives good data oriented code the ability to feed the CPU data as fast as it can crunch it.

Massive caches are a huge win though. Looking forward to these chips.

Soldato
AMD with the X3D really have made a decent gaming CPU, and specifically. Hope these new CPU's in gaming benches sock it to Intel - imagine intel will be thinking of their own gamer specific CPU twist on things for the future hopefully.

Soldato
I assume the 192MB cache on the higher core CPU's will actually be split, so each chiplet containing x number of cores will have access to 96MB?

Also, I do wonder if the faster, higher bandwidth of DDR5 compared to DDR4 is going to minimise some of theoretical maximum uplift? These 7xxxX3D chips will still be blazing fast though!
If you want to properly nerd out and understand what difference cache makes (and what all the RAM timings like CAS/RAS latency actually mean in practice).....read this :

It's a little out of date (talks about Northbridge/Southbridge architecture), but all the principal stuff is still valid.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmmm, looking at the 7950X that I already have, the cooler I have isn't able to keep it from hitting max temp of 95C near instantly on full core useage anyway, and at full power hits 5.1Ghz all cores. So I too have serious doubts that the 7900X and 7950X is going to be able to hit the same clock speeds on all cores when coupled with tall hat extra cache; maybe on the occasional single or two cores, but that'll likely be the it. Or it'll likely clock a mite lower than what mine is able to do. So it sounds (to me at least) that i's a trade off decision on cache and cpu frequency.

I'm personally happy for anyone looking to grab the 3d chips, but with the steal I got on the X chip clready, I think if I do want to change the chip, it'll be in the future with a newer chipx3d; Would make more sense I feel.

Even though I totally can return the chip I have right now and purchase a x3d one in Jan if it does come out then, assuming price is acceptable, but that's not my style. :)

Soldato
Soldato
Hmmm, looking at the 7950X that I already have, the cooler I have isn't able to keep it from hitting max temp of 95C near instantly on full core useage anyway, and at full power hits 5.1Ghz all cores. So I too have serious doubts that the 7900X and 7950X is going to be able to hit the same clock speeds on all cores when coupled with tall hat extra cache; maybe on the occasional single or two cores, but that'll likely be the it. Or it'll likely clock a mite lower than what mine is able to do. So it sounds (to me at least) that i's a trade off decision on cache and cpu frequency.

Absolutely.

Given the 5800XD is giving up 400MHz on the base frequency, 200MHz on the Turbo Frequency over the 5800X and still gets incredibly toasty, I'd say there will definitely be some sacrifices in clock speed. Mind you, the 5800X3D has shown this doesn't hinder it in gaming performance at all.

I like the look of the these 7xxX3D chips.

The problem with the 5800X3D was that if you used your PC for gaming and productivity/work and needed the additional cores, you pretty much had to stick with the 5900X or 5950X.

Now, you won't have to make that decision and can get the best of both worlds.

Looking forward to the reviews but brace yourself folks, these won't be cheap!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom