• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

S939 A64 IHS Removal

Don
OP
Though the bit in contact with the core is small it's got stupid "wing" bits that curve out so that at the edge I would think they would hit the back of the socket. They might miss it, but then again they might hit them.

Jokester

Don
OP
You do need to apply a fair bit of force, the nearest I can come to describe it is if you were cutting a thick, hard bit of cheddar. Because of the force you need to be careful with using the knife obviously and also from damaging the pins or internal components if the knife slipped.

Jokester

Don
OP
MikeTimbers said:
I will do mine but I want to get the before overclock and temperatures first. Has anyone else got any hard data to share on the difference it made on both overclock and temperature? Also for those who have done this, how was the quality of the thermal bond between the die and the IHS?

I found on phase, with an X2 that temps dropped about 10C and got a coresponding increase in stable speed by about 100MHz. All the tops I've taken off look like they had decent 100% contact with the core.

Jokester

Don
OP
Sorry, I thought you weren't serious.

If you're using a Vapochill you must increase the reach of the head to ensure that it makes full contact with the core otherwise it will overheat quickly.

Also, what on earth have you coated the surface mount components with? It also looks as if you've also burnt the PCB with something?

Jokester

Don
OP
Mr Mister said:
jokester im getting a mach 2 gt for my ihsless 4000, do i need to put that black stuff over the small resistors like on your fx57? What is it and what is it for?

Thanks

The black stuff is Liquid Electrical tape, I'm not totally convinced if it's needed, as I never had problem with condensation forming on the top of the surface components.

Di-electric grease would also do the same job.

Jokester

Don
OP
Yeah I don't think that'll work with current generation P4s, they're in effect glued on and the only way to remove them is to use precision machine tools by all accounts and it's extremely risky.

Jokester

Don
OP
Yeah, you should be safe enough without the pads but just to check how does the Zalman 9500 heatsink mount?

Does it just screw down vertically?

By the way what sort of string did you end up using?

Jokester

Don
OP
Could well be, an alternative to supporting the HS is to use string or rubber and to tie it to your case above and try to balance it with the weight.

The other thing to check though is that the HS is making good, even contact with decent pressure on the core.

Jokester

Back
Top Bottom