• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

S939 A64 IHS Removal

Don
OP
Its_Me said:
Who put this as a sticky ?

Pointless IMHO
Little notice about

NO WARANTY if you remove the IHS.

Jokester said:
Oh yeah, you do this at your own risk as it "might" void your warrranty! :p

Jokester

To be honest, if your on an overclocking forum and you don't know that making irreversible modifications to your hardware doesn't void the warranty then you must be fairly naive.

The reason I posted this is that people are doing this and killing their chips, but if you do it right the risk is negligible.

Jokester

Soldato
Well its good to see something/guide is getting stuck in the forum, but its not like we get loads of recurring posts about IHS removal in CPU's.
So I guess this is in the wrong place then ?

And sadly this forum is not just an enthusiats site- its also a big etailer's so we do get 'naive' and 'new' members.
Just saying that I could see someone walking back into the store with "I followed your guide on your website" type thing :)

Last edited:
Associate
good guide, i did my 3000 venice a lil' while ago, peice of ****, used a couple of razor blades, cut my finger a bit though... and theres a little copper showing near the breather hole :p works fine though, much better contact with the water block so temp. never jumps like it used to with the ihs on.

One thing i did find was that if i tightned the waterblock till it couldnt tighten any more the pc wouldnt boot, the light on the mobo which indicates if a cpu is detected or not didnt come on, so i loosened it a bit and it worked fine!? :confused: weird!

Associate
Excellent guide.

I have been contemplating whether to do this for a long time, my main worry is that i think i might crush the core, even if using a screw down method for heatsink.

If you look on the socket A processors they have four pads in the four corners i presume to stabilize the heatsink and protect the core from being crushed. Now when removing the IHS all the pressure is then being forced onto the core itself. I am wondering just how much pressure can the core take, and maybe if the use of neoprene around the core could act as some sort of stabiliser?

I think that is a good guide, however i think it s only half of the story and you should show pictures of mounting the heatsink water block etc. The IHS acts as a barrier which protects the core, this means that you can apply a lot of pressure without cracking or damaging the core, thus removal of the IHS will undoubtedly increase the risk of cracking or damaging the core.

I noticed that you put electrical paste over the naked IC’s, I think I heard somewhere that these can get quite hot. So putting that electrical paste over the IC’s would that not cause a blanket effect?

RichUK :)

Don
OP
SHould work for air cooling as well, but be aware that you need to use a HS that doesn't clip on like the stock HS but use pillars and then is fitted vertically from above with springs/nuts to apply the correct force.

Jokester

Associate
Has anyone had any problems mounting a Mach II GT on an IHSless CPU? Is the contact ok? Is there anything that needs to be done differently to a normal mounting?

Back
Top Bottom