• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

S939 A64 IHS Removal

Don
OP
Kesnel said:
Has anyone had any problems mounting a Mach II GT on an IHSless CPU? Is the contact ok? Is there anything that needs to be done differently to a normal mounting?

It's funny you should say that:-

detop9.JPG

On the Vapochills, I had to make the head stick out an extra few millimetres to take up the slack generated by not having the IHS in the way (it's about 3-4mm thick).

What I did was basically put some thick washers in behind the head.

Jokester

Associate
Jokester said:
SHould work for air cooling as well, but be aware that you need to use a HS that doesn't clip on like the stock HS but use pillars and then is fitted vertically from above with springs/nuts to apply the correct force.

Jokester
So that must put my XP-120 out of the running then? Out of interest, would this be advisable to do if I get water cooling - I was looking at possibly getting the Zalman Reserator 1 Plus?
Cheers :)

Soldato
m3csl2004 said:
judt realised jokester, thats an fx - brave man - what if you coughed or something? :D

Same, I wouldn't have the balls.

Nice guide btw Jokester.

I'd like to do this to my 146 Opty but 1) What happens when it comes to selling it - hardly anyone would want a voided, IHSless chip. 2) I'm on air. Can't wait til I'm not a student, earning money, then I'll get to mutilate some hardware :D

Soldato
Phil99 said:
What's the point of the IHS if removing it drops the temp by so much? Is it just to make it easier to install?

It's mainly there to protect the CPU core.

The old Athlon XPs (and older P4s?) used to have the core directly exposed anyway - no heatspreader.

Associate
Jokester said:
I never crushed a core myself but it was reasonably common on XPs, especially using clip on HS which can apply high lateral forces when it's being put on.

Jokester

Put me down as a 'core crusher' ;) . The mechanism for attaching the heatsink on those was a nightmare.

Associate
I never crushed a core yet.. more luck than judgement i guess!! World's all time greatest core crusher is the socketA vapochill gasket found on extreme and standard vapo's hehe.

If people are paranoid about crushing the core, consider making a shim about a mm thick, hey presto, no crushed core :D

Don
OP
Also note that if you remove the IHS, part of the socket itself now stands higher than the core itself, so if you have an oversized cooler base it may clash with the socket!

Jokester

Associate
Yeah the pads on the xp cores are a protection joke.If youre crushing pads, youve replaced the clip wrong way round after playing with the fan & youve just flattened the core :rolleyes:

Hmmmm, mod my opty?

if im getting unknown fluctuations that may make me otherwise belive its the ram... ,no the volts... ,no the power supply....It'll be that silver thing. Itll have to come off!. :D

Thanks for the pics on the mod.Im wondering about the adhesive rubber on the edge.Could you not just move a finger nail over it, with a bit of weight, it to scrape it off.Less chance of scraping pcb then?

Anyway great mod for peeps with the kit

Associate
i lost 13C off my load temps after removing mine today, from 51C to 38C
and if anyone is removing theres & cant find a thin blade like i couldnt, take a blade out a razor (but be careful!), took me 2mins & was a peace of cake, i just put it were the gap is and went round it twice to make sure i hadnt missed any, now to do the other 2 :D

Associate
tatts said:
i lost 13C off my load temps after removing mine today, from 51C to 38C
and if anyone is removing theres & cant find a thin blade like i couldnt, take a blade out a razor (but be careful!), took me 2mins & was a peace of cake, i just put it were the gap is and went round it twice to make sure i hadnt missed any, now to do the other 2 :D

yeah but you started at 51C, say I got 38C - 13C = 25C underload <=== wow :p ..nah..thats impossible (in my case, im not saying ** temp is impossible):)

Associate
snow patrol said:
did you put much arctic silver on the direct core? a rice grain size as usual or do you have to spread a thin layer?

That's just what I'm wondering. Have the chip in front of me and a scalpel in my hand. Just plucking up the courage to operate.

Hey! Where did all the pictures in the guide go to?? :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
Well the scalpel was no good. Tried a stanley blade next which didn't fit. Off to Sainsbury's and came back armed with a pack of Double edge blades.
Just got the IHS off. Still have a few butterflies in the stomach but all went according to plan.
Word of warning though. When the pack says 'double edge blades' the other side will cut a nice piece off your finger if you try to put any pressure on it!! And it does hurt a bit! :(

Back
Top Bottom