• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

S939 A64 IHS Removal

Don
OP
mi9tchy said:
would this be able to work with a zalman 9500?

Assuming that it doesn't use the retention clips but instead a pillar method what you need to check is if the base of the HS juts out over the top of the back of the socket (where it says Socket 939). If it does you may likely have problems with getting good contact on the CPU.

The other issue is whether the mounting mechanism can deal with the extra 3-4mm. Most should be able to without problem but you might need to use a washer or two on the pillars.

Jokester

Associate
Thanks for posting this jokster! been waiting for this for a while ^__^ but i have some concerns, i was really hoping to get a ThermalRight SI-120, but looking at it i cant see it fitting without the IHS and i dont think my budget can stretch to water cooling o_o'

on a scale of 1-10 can someone rate the ThermalRight SI-120 against watercooling?
cause i really need to justify spending £200 more x_x'

also... is there any problem with putting AS5 directly onto a core? because isn't it kinda conductive? (electricaly)

annnd... where can you get that insulating paste from ? i've just asked my m8 who's an IEE electrician and he's never seen it before in his life! could overclockers possibly stock it?

Don
OP
I've got a Thermaltake Silent Tower here that appears to just fit (haven't load tested to see what load temps are like though), I'm also getting a Akasa AK-920 EVO 120 which from the photo would appear to have an even smaller base so should fit. I'll keep you posted.

If anyone can post what cooler they're using and if it fits I'll compile a list of compatible coolers so peope can be sure.

No issues with putting AS5 on the core as it's not conductive, but I would recommend using a credit card to spread it out so there is no excess to squeeze out and end up on the small chips round the core.

Alternatively AS Ceramique is neither conductive or capacitive (AS5 can act like a dielectric).

Jokester

Associate
Jokester said:
If anyone can post what cooler they're using and if it fits I'll compile a list of compatible coolers so peope can be sure.

Using a DD TDX block on my IHSless core. It did just rest against the raised edge of the socket so I took some sandpaper to it. Seems to fit ok now. Just a little unsure about how much to tighten the block. Seems to be working fine at the minute though so I think I'll leave well enough alone.

Associate
Intersting.

Ill have to take a look at my CNPS9500 to see if that would work. It's an FX-53, but eh, fortune favours the bold, they say. ;)

I could certainly do with a few deg less, this sound-proofed lian-li is nice but not the smartest airflow design around...

Permabanned
DrSteve said:
Using a DD TDX block on my IHSless core. It did just rest against the raised edge of the socket so I took some sandpaper to it. Seems to fit ok now. Just a little unsure about how much to tighten the block. Seems to be working fine at the minute though so I think I'll leave well enough alone.

How much, and where did you sandpaper? Im using the same waterblock and im thinking of doing this mod.
Just want to know what im letting myself in for. . . :rolleyes:

Associate
Scoobie Dave said:
How much, and where did you sandpaper? Im using the same waterblock and im thinking of doing this mod.
Just want to know what im letting myself in for. . . :rolleyes:

The raised part that has 'socket 939' printed on it where the lever for the socket attaches. Not sure how much I took off. Just enough to make sure the chip sat higher than the socket when it was installed.

Permabanned
On average how much more of an overclock should you get by taking off the IHS with a watercooling setup? Extra 100Mhz? perhaps?
I have my X2 running sweet @2.7Ghz, I think one core does 2.8 fine, but the other gets a little flakey. . . im hoping if I do this mod that it will help me reach my goal.

:)

Last edited:
Don
OP
Though the bit in contact with the core is small it's got stupid "wing" bits that curve out so that at the edge I would think they would hit the back of the socket. They might miss it, but then again they might hit them.

Jokester

Permabanned
I tried doing this mod last night using a scalpel blade, but the blade im sure was to thick. I did not think you could get much thinner than a scalpel blade? Any suggestions. Obviously I was quite warey when I was running the blade round the cpu and not applying much force, but I just could not get the blade in really. Am I right in assuming that you dont have to apply much force when your running the blade round?

Back
Top Bottom