• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

S939 A64 IHS Removal

Don
OP
jigger said:
Can you unlock the multiplier with the heat spreder off? it looks a lot like the socket a athlon.

No, it's done within the core proper, as far as I'm aware the multipler and voltage settings are stored within a type of flash ROM that's programmable but nobody's worked out how to do it.

Jokester

Soldato
Jokester said:
No, it's done within the core proper, as far as I'm aware the multipler and voltage settings are stored within a type of flash ROM that's programmable but nobody's worked out how to do it.

Jokester

If it's a programmable flash rom it's highly possible to do, just flash to an FX, i will seek advice from my micro electronics guru and post back.
also is that goo hard to clean off it looks nasty,like tar or tiger seal.
Regards

Don
OP
People were trying for years to find out how AMD did the programming of the chips, and only the occasional temporary unlocked chips following a CPU swap showed that they weren't physically locked.

Jokester

Soldato
Jokester said:
People were trying for years to find out how AMD did the programming of the chips, and only the occasional temporary unlocked chips following a CPU swap showed that they weren't physically locked.

Jokester

interesting i was told it might be possible to unlock through the motherboard by hardware or software. mybe the chip has some kind of bios and stores a charge somehow, hence the temporary unlock, but i could be way off.

Soldato
dsc00146ef0.jpg

Just a little tip, those plastic cpu OEM trays really work to keep the cpu down whilst cutting and prevents pin damage. Just remember not to use the top side, the flipside/bottom has lower walls and allows you to use a razor or whatever easily, if you use the top side (i.e the way the cpu comes in the tray and how its currently pictured) it'll just fall in and you can't get anything in there. I removed the blade from a disposable razor and lopped off the IHS from this X2 3800 today.

Soldato
I'm thinking about removing the IHS on my chip but I'm not sure if I'll have to do anything special to my AF64 Pro for it to make contact once the CPU has been de-lidded, does anyone have any experience with this?

Associate
Would I be crazy to try this with an fx-60 ?
I mean, I'm going down the water cooled route anyway, would having the cores exposed provide any benefit?

At the moment, with a stock air cooler and speeds, I'm at 60 degrees per core, under load (SP2004 Orthos - Small FFTs), and like I say, I plan on water cooling my entire system.

Looking at that picture, justintime, both cores on your X2 are still contained in one enclosure, anyone any ideas on whether my dual core processor would be the same?

Simon

Associate
it would be the same underneath

the best way to tell if its worthwhile:

let us know stepping, clocks, volts, temps. this can be compaired to other chips to get a good indication. you can also try things like seeing if theres much change in max oc / needed volts if you drop cpu temp. if a small drop still gives a decent change then de-cappiing may well help.
if temp changes make little difference then de-capping is also unlikely to help.

de-capping scrubbed .075v off of the volts i needed for 2900mhz, and alowed me to get 3000 orthos stable and 3100 game stable. vs 2950 game stable.
my core temps dropped from close to 80c load to mid 50's...
im under Wc so i dunno how your sink will behave, it will probably need some modification tho.

Ecl

Ecl

Associate
Justintime said:
dsc00146ef0.jpg

Just a little tip, those plastic cpu OEM trays really work to keep the cpu down whilst cutting and prevents pin damage. Just remember not to use the top side, the flipside/bottom has lower walls and allows you to use a razor or whatever easily, if you use the top side (i.e the way the cpu comes in the tray and how its currently pictured) it'll just fall in and you can't get anything in there. I removed the blade from a disposable razor and lopped off the IHS from this X2 3800 today.
Nice tip :D

Associate
its some huge power output...

mid 50's load is still massively high when it idles at ~29c

there was a decently thick layer of the grey goup between the core and spreader on mine. i guess it wasnt pressed down propperly. or it was badly bowed on the underside. took an absolute age when i lapped it was so bad on top.

Associate
just checking that my HSF (Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme) will sit properly on a IHS-less Opteron 170 sitting in a Asus A8N-E?

I'm getting up to 15c difference in Core temperatures at times and I REALLY want to cut the gap.

Soldato
hmm ok i have a freezer 64 and a 3800+ with crap contact i think (48c idle on one core, 38c on the other!) so if i cut the IHS off, will it still seat ok? its a clip one unfortunately. if not is there any way i can 'make' it seat ok?

Associate
I wouldn't recommend doing it with a clip system, as it would become very lose. Invest in a cooler that uses "nuts 'n bolts" if you want to remove the IHS.

A picture of one of mine naked manchester x2 3800+ :D

Back
Top Bottom