Salmon off-cuts

Soldato
What's the best way to cook salmon off-cuts?

I was going to pan fry and [attempt] to remove all the bones after, but it might be easier to bake or maybe bake/fry then stick the lot in a food processor to grind the bones up and make salmon pate.
Seems like a waste of good calcium to remove the bones so grinding them up would be fine unless I risk injuring myself / girlfriend - Make salmon cakes, only to find sharp bits in there.

No harm in eating bones if there are no sharp bits?

Either that or just pan fry to go with rice and veg then remove any sharp bones as we go.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wow, that was incredible!

A few fried and made into flakes, the rest in the air fryer on bake at 170c for 25 mins.
Eaten with rice and brocilli there were practically no bones left (well we ate them all) eaten carefully with fingers of course but bones mostly went soft.

Tasted incredible, better that fillet but not £25/kilo, 1kg off cuts for £5.

Feels like ive had a weeks worth of omega 3 in one sitting :)

Caporegime
Wow, that was incredible!

A few fried and made into flakes, the rest in the air fryer on bake at 170c for 25 mins.
Eaten with rice and brocilli there were practically no bones left (well we ate them all) eaten carefully with fingers of course but bones mostly went soft.

Tasted incredible, better that fillet but not £25/kilo, 1kg off cuts for £5.

Feels like ive had a weeks worth of omega 3 in one sitting :)

A bit late but salmon with mashed potato topped with cheese bake is good. Think of it like a cottage pie.

If you think asian....mix it with some black bean sauce, perhaps with pieces of veg of your choice (pick carefully*), and steamed for 10mins. Then serve with rice.

*greens usually turn too brown after 10mins.

Last edited:
Soldato
will it blend - yes ok if you have an NHS dentist perhaps I'd take that gamble.

kedgeree is always a good fish solution - rice /frozen peas / hard-boiled eggs / boned fish - favourite accompanying condiment chef brown sauce has had limited supply post-brexit.

Soldato
Do miss the supermarkets selling off cuts of smoked salmon. They are great for pasta, scrambled eggs for the little bits. Sometimes got a medium slice enough for a bagel

Morrisons quite often sell the head and other cuts from when they've prepared one.
Good for stock and the head has a few decent bits.

Last edited:
Soldato
yes I've never seen salmon off-cuts -
asda used to do some smoked salmon off-cuts which still weren't cheap and were deceptively small pieces reformed into a tablet.

Associate
They used to be great, especially for cream cheese bagels.. bought some recently, but the quality is frankly awful and they're twice the price from all of the supermarkets (when they still have them) Better to just buy the 'good' cuts, I'm guessing they now put the offcuts into smoked salmon pate etc

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom