should have updated you guys sooner but mine is packed up ready to be sent back

the problem is the glossy screen
i mean it is REALLY glossy not far off from looking in a mirror
ive used glossy screens in the past but this is like nothing ive seen before

apart from that the monitor is great and looks really nice with the thin bezel

if they make a matte version ill be all over it

Associate
OP
OK I'll defo do this tomorrow, didnt have time in the end, only just managed to set it up and have a quick game of fifa on xbox and HoN on the PC. Both were absolutely insane lol.

Quick Query about the screen though, first time i turn it on it flash's on and off (on black to completely off black) if you know what i mean... for about 2 mins before i get a picture.

It's really odd... its like its warming up, the first image i get is like the image it should be but multicolours like the plug isnt in correctly, then it flash's off and on one last time and is fine. Is there any reason for this, is it just LED technology or what?

Wondering if this is dodgy basically lol. I'll post a vid tomorrow but if anyone knows that'd be great.

Associate
Just a FYI to people out there thinking about buying the S23A700D, you can get this from the german rainforest website (I hope im allowed to say that, they arnt really a competitor :) ) for £200 including deliverly which is amazing value considering most places in the uk have it up for £300 +.

Soldato
What are these like compared to other 120Hz monitors?

I've also read they're not directly compatible with Nvidia Vision?

I'm currently with an ATI setup, but would like to future-proof them if I was to purchase a couple!

Soldato
So what are these actually like? I'm tempted to get the double bundle but not decided yet!

I'm looking for a comparison to other 120hz monitors, not found any as of yet :(

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Price going upto £240 first thing!

Samsung VAT back promotion ends 7th of May, so best time is to buy this month for sure, as this deal is stupidly HOT.

Associate
sorry to ask (i already made a similar thread) but the monitor's going back up in price tomorrow so i have some questions before making the leap.

does anyone have any idea about the input lag as opposed to the dell ultrasharp u2312hm? that monitor supposedly has 0.6ms input lag, which is... bloody marvellous. i've seen one random review say this samsung might have in the range of 11ms input lag, although the same review was off by 10ms when comparing it to a similar monitor. i'm interested in input lag, and whether the 11ms (possibly) difference would be compensated by the 120hz? the same review also said that 3d input lag was 38ms, so i won't be using 3d for games anyway...

thanks very much :)

Associate
sorry to ask (i already made a similar thread) but the monitor's going back up in price tomorrow so i have some questions before making the leap.

does anyone have any idea about the input lag as opposed to the dell ultrasharp u2312hm? that monitor supposedly has 0.6ms input lag, which is... bloody marvellous. i've seen one random review say this samsung might have in the range of 11ms input lag, although the same review was off by 10ms when comparing it to a similar monitor. i'm interested in input lag, and whether the 11ms (possibly) difference would be compensated by the 120hz? the same review also said that 3d input lag was 38ms, so i won't be using 3d for games anyway...

thanks very much :)

Is input lag different to response time? It says 2ms which is same as my 226bw 2ms!?

Associate
should have updated you guys sooner but mine is packed up ready to be sent back

the problem is the glossy screen
i mean it is REALLY glossy not far off from looking in a mirror
ive used glossy screens in the past but this is like nothing ive seen before

apart from that the monitor is great and looks really nice with the thin bezel

if they make a matte version ill be all over it

Ohhh noo, hopefully not that bad. I have a Samsung 226bw and have the window behind me. Can be annoying in the sun but can't see myself now with the light on and on this forum. Guess i am just going to have to wait and see. If you do send things back if you are not happy, is it at our cost and if so how much? i think i am just over analysing stuff, just hope i'm happy with the leap :O)

Associate
input lag is different to response time. it's the time it takes for the screen to display the signal that's been sent to the monitor. lower it is, the more "responsive" your screen is!

Soldato
If you consider the total felt latency, which includes; the basal input lag (which you quoted for the U2312HM), the delay between frames, the pixel responsiveness and the input update frequency... You'll find the Samsung far outclasses the Dell.

Associate
cheers for the answer :). though i never got a definitive number on the samsung input lag, i bought it anyway... peer pressure from the 13 page thread on this forum ^^. and yeah, perhaps the sammy will feel more responsive anyway.

although including delay between frames, the overall input lag on a 60hz 0.6ms screen is anywhere between 0.6 to 17.2ms. input update frequency is part of the reason for input lag afaik. and overall input lag on a 120hz monitor with 11ms lag is anywhere between 11ms and 19.3ms, which is slower than the dell. pixel responsiveness won't affect latency, but clarity (again afaik). although i do see how the bigger difference between max and min delays on the dell would make it seem less consistent (if you had freakishly good eyesight)

the reason i had such a tough time deciding was because i'm not going to be hitting 60+ fps consistently, in which case the dell would be both more responsive and clearer for me, because of lower input lag and better colours. but anyway... peer pressure. and 3d movies... :p.

Soldato
You have to understand that 'felt latency' and 'input lag' as commonly measured are entirely different things. I don't think I need to explain to you that 0.6 ms of input lag, if you measure everything (including pixel responsiveness) simply doesn't add up for an IPS monitor. The method used to obtain that figure is notoriously inaccurate - a margin of error of 16.6ms on a 60Hz monitor. Another key point is that different components of the felt latency also 'feel' different to different users with the frame delay and pixel responsiveness often being easiest to gauge. On top of that the increased input polling frequency of a 120Hz monitor has to be considered - this is not intrinsically tied to input lag but is certainly something that can be seen and 'felt' even at 60fps. Don't get bogged down by questionable figures or theory. I have used the U2312HM extensively alongside the Samsung SA750 series and the difference is quite clear in favour of the Samsungs regardless of framerate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom