Samsung SSD Magician

Associate
I usually install it when fitting a Samsung SSD. I haven't yet had any problems such a BSOD.

Although it may not make much difference to performance, it does make sure that Windows settings such as prefetch are disabled (or enabled, if you prefer).

It also has the over provisioning option, as well as automatic firmware updates and benchmarking. It also gives SMART info and displays bytes written.

Overall, it's a decent utility that quickly and easily gives the user access to the status of their SSD and easy firmware updates. Yes, some people seem to experience problems with it, but I think they must be in the minority.

BTW, I`ve just run it on my system, and it updated to Ver. 4.2 which include a "RAPID mode", which is something that applies to the new Evo range.

Associate
I instaled all software when I fitted the ssd. Did the Bios, along with everything else you mentioned. PC is best i have ever had with no problems..Except-Samsung Magician..No matter what I do it will BSOD my pc, do a restart and all is perfect.
This update does not show "Total Bytes Writen" but does say Drive Health Status-Good.
My Reads are
Sequential Read = 544----Sequen Write = 317
Random Read = 73434----Random Write = 27817
Cheers.

Associate
My 840 250gb is showing -

Seq Read 559, Write 256

Random Read IOPS 94484, Write 61554.

Currently using Intel SATA Driver 12.5.0.1066.

Last edited:
Associate
You were Wise buying a 250Gb..I bought the 128gb and with Micros updates its now half full. These updates soon fill the 128gb in a few months thanks to microrubbish..
Still, I am Happy with it, it's just the Magician that perplexes me.

Associate
You were Wise buying a 250Gb..I bought the 128gb and with Micros updates its now half full. These updates soon fill the 128gb in a few months thanks to microrubbish..
Still, I am Happy with it, it's just the Magician that perplexes me.

It does seem odd. Me, being me, would be spending too much time trying to fathom out what's causing it !

I think I was wise to go for the 250gb non-pro. OK, I have to suffer "slow" write speeds (hardly slow, actually), but it's nice to not have to worry too much about how much space I`ve got left. I still think that the relatively small difference in price between the 128gb pro and the 250gb non-pro made the 250gb a fairly obvious choice. Yes, it's got cheap and unreliable memory, and just a 3 year warranty, and slow write speeds, but I`ve learned to live with those things.

Windows 7 with all of the updates should only take about 25gb of space, if that (my Windows folder is currently just under 18gb, but there may be other stuff hidden elsewhere). Yes, other "stuff" does build up and can soon fill a smaller drive. I`ve currently used 123gb of space, but that does include 3 full game installs, FreeOffice, a load of utilities and a lot of downloads that need to be deleted (I`ve been a bit lazy recently).

If you haven't already done it, it may well be worth you performing a "Disk Cleanup". If you have system restore enabled, you can get back quite a lot of space (but you'll only have the most recent restore point).

Back
Top Bottom