• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sandy Brdige Chipset Info + Sandy Bridge-E

Soldato
;)

capturekwf.jpg

capture2wh.jpg

Soldato
If AMD can come out with a kick ass processor as well, then we as consumers are going to be in for a good time!

Competive performance, at competitive prices!

Although I have to admit, I am totally confused by Sandy Bridge's naming scheme...

Soldato
Keeping the name as i5 and i7 is confusing forthe consumer.

plus all this E series, K series, non overclockable, overclockable..... if this proves true, it may be a marketing mistake which may allow AMD to grab more market share...

But I guess all will be revealed in due course.

Soldato
So hang on, the P67 has a cross under "integrated display for Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000". Does that mean the IGPs won't actually function with these boards?

Looks like the P67 and Z68 are the only chipsets of interest for enthusiasts/overclockers.

Last edited:
Associate
PCI express@ 2.5GT/s?
I thought intel had got around to full 5 GT/s implementation this time round?
if not then my next rig is a x6 phenom2 with 8gb, unless i can hold out for BullDozer.

Soldato
PCI express@ 2.5GT/s?
I thought intel had got around to full 5 GT/s implementation this time round?
if not then my next rig is a x6 phenom2 with 8gb, unless i can hold out for BullDozer.
Hmm? Motherboards have had PCI-E 2.0 (5 GT/s, 500 MB/s/lane) for years.
yes the P/Z range are the enthusiast boards that wont have igp, the H/Q and now B range will be IGP.
The Q67 looks perfect for those who want a high-end system but aren't interested in gaming.

Also, what is this Intel ME Firmware and why is it smaller in size on the higher end chipsets?

Soldato
Presumably P67 and Z68 have either one 16x slot or two slots that can run in 16x/1x or 8x/8x mode (for SLI/CrossFire), much like the current P55. Maybe all the others either have no 8x/16x slots or only one 8x slot. It looks like the idea of those chipsets is to use the IGP rather than a separate GPU so why would you need a 16x slot?

Associate
Hmm? Motherboards have had PCI-E 2.0 (5 GT/s, 500 MB/s/lane) for years.

no, although the data sheet specs for PCIe2.0 are 5GT/s, only AMD have got it right, intels so called PCIe2.0 is the same exact speed as their PCIe1.1 slots were (2.5GT/s).
There was something on TomsHardware about it a while back, and it looks from the table in the OP that they still cant be bothered to fix it......
come on intel! all I want is a decent excuse to give you money!

edit: HERE, first paragraph after the last pictures

Last edited:
Associate
So hang on, the P67 has a cross under "integrated display for Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000". Does that mean the IGPs won't actually function with these boards?

Looks like the P67 and Z68 are the only chipsets of interest for enthusiasts/overclockers.

Sad to say the best we are getting out of overclocking our P67 boards with retail K2600 CPU's is just over 5 GHz and small change so no things are not looking good for extreme benching at all with this pending release. But for normal use the CPU will be a dream I think. 4.8GHz and even 5GHz on air with little or no voltage increase is not a problem. Does not help to take the CPU subzero with LN2 or pump extreme voltage, the CPU just stops at 5.1GHz, and no further.:mad:

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1531963

4.9GHz with 1.068 vcore :D :D

Associate
Before anyone gets to worked up I am pretty sure that the vcore shown in that CPU-z link I posted is incorrect and that in fact CPU-z is just not able to read it correctly at this stage. Or the reading vcore is simply bugged.

So far the best I have seen with the new CPU is a 5.3GHz super Pi run.

Soldato
OP
Does the X against Legacy PCI mean these boards won't have a standard PCI slot?

Correct but a lot of manufacturers will use IDT bridge chips to get old skool PCI slots. It will be up to the board partners to decide if they want to add PCI support, I think you will see PCI on the dearer boards but perhaps not on the entry level models.

Soldato
no, although the data sheet specs for PCIe2.0 are 5GT/s, only AMD have got it right, intels so called PCIe2.0 is the same exact speed as their PCIe1.1 slots were (2.5GT/s).
There was something on TomsHardware about it a while back, and it looks from the table in the OP that they still cant be bothered to fix it......
come on intel! all I want is a decent excuse to give you money!
Sorry but this sounds like nonsense. The only thing I could find about this was regarding the P35 chipset, which had datasheets mentioning PCI-E 2.0 but these plans were scrapped and it had PCI-E 1.1 instead, leading to confusion.

However, all chipsets since then (at least the P, Q, X and H series) have PCI-E 2.0.

Back
Top Bottom