• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sapphire HD7970

Associate
OP
zpaf have you ever owned a GTX580? Can you compare the performance? noise and heat output if you have?

Might be asking a lot there i know :p

No I never had gtx580 but a friend of mine switch from 580 to 7970 told me that is louder than nvidia.
About performance I think if you have a 580 with 1080p monitor doesnt need to change.
I was with 6970cf on eyefinity 3240x1920 and now with this card I can play my favorite game BF3 almost with the same fps.

Soldato
No I never had gtx580 but a friend of mine switch from 580 to 7970 told me that is louder than nvidia.
About performance I think if you have a 580 with 1080p monitor doesnt need to change.
I was with 6970cf on eyefinity 3240x1920 and now with this card I can play my favorite game BF3 almost with the same fps.

Should be a good improvement for me, running 2560x1440, my 580 is a 1.5gb model, could really do with a 3GB version.

I remember my 5870 and 4870 previous being fairly loud when things got warm, especially in the summer, would you say it's quieter than it's predecessors?

V F

V F

Soldato
ATi (or should i say AMD) one big failure with every single release is always it's reference cooler being a pile of junk :(

The 5870 under full load sounded like a vacuum cleaner sat on my desk.

From the amount of discussions here and other places, so many seem to rave about them and **** off coolers with a centre fan.

Soldato
ATi (or should i say AMD) one big failure with every single release is always it's reference cooler being a pile of junk :(

The 5870 under full load sounded like a vacuum cleaner sat on my desk.

Gaming I could hear it over the rest of the case fans etc. Run furmark and my Dyson is quiter... :D

Soldato
From the amount of discussions here and other places, so many seem to rave about them and **** off coolers with a centre fan.

I wouldn't be so bothered by its performance assuming it was good enough to sit in a moderately warm room and keep it stable. It's just the volume, i can't understand why they always make them so incredibly loud when under stress.

Associate
With the triple monitor setup... obviously I don't know what size they are but it strikes me that it might be a better overall effect (i.e. no missing bits) getting a full HD 42" LED-TV and maxing the anti-aliasing etc.

Soldato
the problem using a TV / lower res bigger monitor is that if you sit too close you can start to see each individual pixel, so you have to sit further back to get a clear / decent picture so you don't get that immersive wrap around type experience you are looking for

more pixels is always better

the comparison you really want to make is sitting close to a hi res 30" vs 24" surround

i went with a 32" LED TV recently and it mostly just means I have to sit slightly further back than I did with a 24" - it is better than what I had but not by a lot and I've got a 42" not far away and gaming on either is the same due to having to sit further back with the 42 to get the same clarity

Associate
OP
furmarkj.jpg

Associate
the problem using a TV / lower res bigger monitor is that if you sit too close you can start to see each individual pixel, so you have to sit further back to get a clear / decent picture so you don't get that immersive wrap around type experience you are looking for

more pixels is always better

the comparison you really want to make is sitting close to a hi res 30" vs 24" surround

i went with a 32" LED TV recently and it mostly just means I have to sit slightly further back than I did with a 24" - it is better than what I had but not by a lot and I've got a 42" not far away and gaming on either is the same due to having to sit further back with the 42 to get the same clarity

Even with big time anti-aliasing etc on?

Put it this way, if you reflect on how a blu-ray movie looks, it's pretty darned realistic, and I'm sure you wouldn't say you can see the pixels then. So with the right image processing it is possible to produce a convincing picture @ 1080P on big screens.

Permabanned
Even with big time anti-aliasing etc on?

Put it this way, if you reflect on how a blu-ray movie looks, it's pretty darned realistic, and I'm sure you wouldn't say you can see the pixels then. So with the right image processing it is possible to produce a convincing picture @ 1080P on big screens.

Yes but the individual pixels will be larger and also I think the pixel density will be increased as well. Antialiasing cannot do anything to change what is a physically set property of the display.

I game quite a lot on my 40 inch tv at 1080p for certain types of games, but i do have to sit (usually lie on my bed actually) a good bit further back. I'd say a least double the distance i would if i were sitting playing a fps on my 24" monitor.

Associate
OP
For those dont want to do flash bios and play with voltage but only with ccc limits there exist this solution.
Download this http://www.mediafire.com/?t2lt36eiulfy197
Install it and go Settings -> Tuning -> Advanced Mode choose Overclocking range enchancement and hit apply.
Thats all.
If you want you can uninstall the utility and of course the limits will be open.

ccclimits.jpg

cccuf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom