SATA hard drive not recognised

Associate
Hello to everyone.
I have connected a 3.5” 7200rpm SATA HDD to my pc juts for backup.
My pc currently has 2x M.2 SSD on slot 1 and 2 in my motherboard.
The problem is the SATA hard drive is not recognised by Bios and windows.
I know that not all sata ports are working with my motherboard when it’s running 2x M.2 drives. I have connected it to the port which should be working. But still no luck.
If somebody could point me into the right direction it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
My pc spec:
MSI MEG Z490 Godlike
I9 10900k CPU
32 GB XMP Corsair 3600Mhz DDR4 CL16
MSI RTX 3090TI
1TB WD SN770 M.2 slot 1
2TB WD SN770 M.2 slot 2
Corsair RM1000X PSU

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi

Try different ports.

Try/check different cables.
Thank you for your reply. I did all that. Tried 2 different sata cables 2 different power cables. I have even tried to order a new hard drive because I thought it might be faulty. But nothing I have tried seems to be working. Like the system don’t detect the hard drive at all.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thank you for your reply. I did all that. Tried 2 different sata cables 2 different power cables. I have even tried to order a new hard drive because I thought it might be faulty. But nothing I have tried seems to be working. Like the system don’t detect the hard drive at all.
Drive could be faulty need to test it in another pc.

Edit
so you've tried 2 different drives ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Drive could be faulty need to test it in another pc.

Edit
so you've tried 2 different drives ?
Yes I have ordered a second brand new drive. Still not working. Previous drive removed from a working system but not recognised in my pc. Maybe Bios settings?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes I have ordered a second brand new drive. Still not working. Previous drive removed from a working system but not recognised in my pc. Maybe Bios settings?
Maybe check the motherboard manual.

Could try bios update.

Found this take a look.

Associate
OP
Can you hear it spin up when plugging in the power connector?
No absolutely nothing. That’s the thing. This is why I have tried a totally different power cable from the psu. But even the first hard drive was working fine in my other pc. After I have installed into this pc now is not working . It is not even recognized in bios.

Associate
I wonder if it's a power issue, something to do with the PSU itself maybe? Can you try putting the PSU from your other pc into the new one?

Associate
OP
I wonder if it's a power issue, something to do with the PSU itself maybe? Can you try putting the PSU from your other pc into the new one?
I can but the first power cable I have tried powers the system fans trough Corsair ICue and they all working fine. So this is why I have put in a totally new cable into the PSU but that didn’t make any difference.

Associate
Ok, try swapping the PSU's anyway. If no difference it's going to need to be a process of elimination. Take out the two M2 drives then see if it's detected in the bios. Try each SATA port as well, obvious powering off each time.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Good morning. So tried to Update Bios to latest version. Also tried to swap psu still the same result. Also plugging into different sata port didn’t change anything. I will try to remove M.2 drives next. What difference would it make to try change AHCi to RAID mode?

Back
Top Bottom