Scottish Elections Result

Soldato
Ireland did though, didn't it?

Forget about that one, or 1/4 of the earth that has sucessfully removed British rule?

Why show such narrow historic scope?

I think you'll find it very hard to shut anyone up with arguments like this.

I am bowled over by your overwhelming evidence and tactful counter argument of course... :D

It's a bit different when the rest of the world was only under British rule for a couple of decades at most. The Union has been around for much longer than that.

The argument I posted was merely light hearted comment at the fact that you'll never change the minds of someone who won't listen to any reason or opinions than their own, even if the other person is giving a perfectly rational and economically correct argument.

I predict if Scotland did become independent, there would be a big party and then everyone would think "err... so what do we do now?"

Associate
Scotland would be in a bad shape at this moment if it became independent now, but give it a few years. Once the recession is over and things are growing, I think things will be much easier for us and people then will be much more open to the idea of independence, just wait and see... only time will tell. Of course I'll be against it, but I can still feel the winds changing... threatening the already fragile union. With labour out of action seemingly in Scotland they won't be able to rely on us - which could pave a way for a conservative outright victory at the next general.

Permabanned
OP
It's a bit different when the rest of the world was only under British rule for a couple of decades at most. The Union has been around for much longer than that.

That isn't very accurate on the whole, and even if it was it would be irrelevent in comparison to a future economic plans hinging on a yes referendum.

The argument I posted was merely light hearted comment at the fact that you'll never change the minds of someone who won't listen to any reason or opinions than their own, even if the other person is giving a perfectly rational and economically correct argument.

Hmmm if you say so but next time try using a smiley to save confusion ;) :p

I predict if Scotland did become independent, there would be a big party and then everyone would think "err... so what do we do now?"

:D

keepsalm.jpg

:D

Everyone would wake up with a bad hangover and get back to their daily life. the Civic landscape would then undergo obvious long term changes to suit..

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Scotland would be in a bad shape at this moment if it became independent now

Mainly because of historic Wesminster socioeconomic mismanagement, New Labour and select ruddy private sector bankers..

but give it a few years. Once the recession is over and things are growing, I think things will be much easier for us and people then will be much more open to the idea of independence, just wait and see... only time will tell. Of course I'll be against it, but I can still feel the winds changing... threatening the already fragile union. With labour out of action seemingly in Scotland they won't be able to rely on us - which could pave a way for a conservative outright victory at the next general.

Theoretically speaking (with no hicups) yes, which would be a very strange unchartered territory with regards to the UK's political makeup and would be potentially set to be very turbulent as well by this point, 2015, SNP would have been in majority power for four years and if they stick to their plan the referendum may be kicking about at this time.

That could confuse the Westminster approach to the subject if Holyrood can time it right, because the innevitable face off between Labour and Conservatives has to happen they are also likely to combine, officially or not, to campaign for the Union. It could be a very congested time, consitutionally, and I don't think either will have the capacity to confront each other and campaign in full blown mode up here which if it ever came to it the SNP would break the bank and their backs for. I suspect Dave know's this, if he's smart he'll start a positive dialogue for the Union now and treat us better than the Establishment has the odd habbit of doing.

The coalition itself may end up being a costly distraction in all this..

Hopefully the other parties have learned the lessons of negitive campaigning in Scotland now; with the exception of the Scottish Conservatives to a very large degree due to their succesful campaign.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pen66 - It becoming increasingly common on the forum to see this sort of thing go unpunished. So it's obviously going to keep happening. You can't be racist on OCUK but it seems to be a green light to be anti-Scottish or anti-English.

It needs to be stamped on, not only because it's bloomin pointless but because it gets in the way of proper debates on the forum.

Permabanned
OP
Pen66 - It becoming increasingly common on the forum to see this sort of thing go unpunished. So it's obviously going to keep happening. You can't be racist on OCUK but it seems to be a green light to be anti-Scottish or anti-English.

It needs to be stamped on, not only because it's bloomin pointless but because it gets in the way of proper debates on the forum.

No one is really bothered and I didn't expect them to be. I've rtm'd it and nothing. Year after year threads get trashed (way worse than this) and it is seemingly acceptable.

But what is seemingly not acceptable is the use of the word 'fool' et al which will result in an infraction; where as in comparison you can purposefully troll discussions with ill intended xenophobic slurs poking fun even at the expense of war dead and this is perfectly acceptable for a 'family friendly' business.. aye as long as you ain't Scottish.

What more can I say other than bring on more Jew, 'Scotch' and KKK threads. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Wellexpect the scots to get a bit more than "scotch", they have given it for many years under good spirit so ecpect maybe a something more sinister in future in return..

Look at when rangers went to manchster waving thier union jacks, and battering the english police, do you think that will still happen, i hope you start a war and i hope varies scottish get they're faces put in.

wha? Yes all Scots are football thugs looking to start a war against.....someone....

RDM

RDM

Soldato
I have to genuinely say that I did not realise that Scotch was at all insulting. Obviously now I know I wouldn't dream of using it, but it has come as a suprise.

Caporegime
Can a moderator perhaps step in to take control of some of the trolling please? Thanks

can the mods also take care of biohazards trolling... everyone who doesnt agree with him gets trolled until they cant be bothered anymore...

he obviously hates the english and had a nasty line of text under his sig yesterday to bait asnd troll people even more :rolleyes:

Soldato
TBH all kwerk and rz30 have done is taken any relevant points in their posts (if there were any) and have them lose any substance.

Both are EXTREMELY bitter and xenophobic and one of them cannot string a post together without huge grammar or spelling mistakes. Normally I don't bring this up but when we are discussing a topic such as this, failing to being able to write properly just makes your "arguments" lose any validity.

Soldato
can the mods also take care of biohazards trolling... everyone who doesnt agree with him gets trolled until they cant be bothered anymore...

You do realise what trolling actually is?

All I have seen from BH is a propensity to continually argue his point. Some may see this as "wearing" but that is not the same as trolling

he obviously hates the english and had a nasty line of text under his sig yesterday to bait asnd troll people even more :rolleyes:

Actually, I have not seen any anti-English content in his posts (in a personal sense). I have seen anti-English in other posts but not Biohazard's posts.

The sig line you mention seems to have been removed by BH himself which, if he was fervently anti-English he would leave it there as it has been for some time without issue from the Mods. The fact he has removed it says something for his attitude which, unfortunately, I cannot say for others....

Back
Top Bottom