Seasonic X-series 1200w - had issues, wondering if it MIGHT still be good.

Soldato
Was using an X-series 1200w with a 2080ti. No issues with it, everything utterly wonderful.

Back when it was all new (JUST pre-covid/bitcoin boom) I jumped to 6800XT. For "some weird reason" the x-series simply wouldn't give the 6800XT enough juice. Soon as 3D kicked in, black screen and system hang (eventually pinned it to PSU using another hotwired PSU just to power the GPU and all was then good).

Replaced it with a 850W corsair, all good since.

I'm wondering now, looking around a bit... I think I only used 1 set of PCIE cables with it. Starting to assume that was PROBABLY it and I've been neglecting a perfectly awesome PSU since?

Man of Honour
Some of the Seasonic PSUs (pre 2018/2019) had issues with the power spikes of modern graphics cards, but 1200 is so OTT that I wouldn't expect it to trip with a 6800 XT.

I think I only used 1 set of PCIE cables with it
Seasonic recommend you split them, so it is possible that was the problem.

Soldato
OP
I think I should probably give this another go, aye. Twas otherwise a bit of a beast of a PSU so was a bit shocked when I did "pin it down" to that. Saw loads of other posts around about similar issues and pointed folks at PSU's and kept getting quiet nods back.

Soldato
Some of the Seasonic PSUs (pre 2018/2019) had issues with the power spikes of modern graphics cards, but 1200 is so OTT that I wouldn't expect it to trip with a 6800 XT.

Seasonic recommend you split them, so it is possible that was the problem.

Wouldn’t formally result in a hung system but a hard shutdown.

Back
Top Bottom