Sennheiser HD650 - The classic beauty in a grey dress Appreciation thread!

Associate
OP
I bought some 650's the other day as it looks like I'm going to be stable money wise for a while.

I traded my 2016 LCD-2's for a 2010 pair of LCDs and oh my god it's amazing how alike they both are but the LCD-2.1 are smoother more effortless and seductive it's a shame Audeze can't keep this sound signature.

650's will be a permanent back up pair especially with those cooler velour pads.

Soldato
So I bought a Vali from Twst but have never owned a headphone amp before so I am not really sure how to set it up. At the moment I have my 650 plugged into my Xonar Xense which I use the 300-600 Ohm setting in the drivers and then adjust volume in windows (normally between 10-40%).

Do these settings need changing for the Vali or does it really not matter?

Also should I avoid putting the vali on my desk with my mouse and keyboard cause of the ringing that you get with tube amps?

Soldato
Ideally you want to feed the Vali with full line out voltage, so max the volume in Windows and adjust with the Vali's volume control.

Ringing should only happen for the first 30 seconds or so after powering on or if it gets jarred in any way. Apart from that it shouldn't be audible. I used mine sitting on the desk without any problems for months.

ps. what are you using to feed the Vali? Using your card's headphone out is not a good idea as you will be double amping and that's never a good idea as it introduces noise/distortion from both amps.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So I bought a Vali from Twst but have never owned a headphone amp before so I am not really sure how to set it up. At the moment I have my 650 plugged into my Xonar Xense which I use the 300-600 Ohm setting in the drivers and then adjust volume in windows (normally between 10-40%).

Do these settings need changing for the Vali or does it really not matter?

Also should I avoid putting the vali on my desk with my mouse and keyboard cause of the ringing that you get with tube amps?

Unless you bang your table when you rock out. The Vali isn't that bad with ringing at all. If you tap it with pressure it will ring for about half a min at the most. I didn't find the Vali to be suspectable to interference like the Ember I had.

Soldato
I dunno - might make me more angry!

Last question for now, what is the deal with people spending hundreds of pounds, dollars, euros and rupees on custom cables for the 650? I assume snake oil - most of them are named after snakes, spiders and dragons.

Soldato
Brilliant marketing and gullible audiophiles.

Most I would pay is £20~£25 for a very well made, good looking OFC cable or £25~£35 for a well made, good looking silver/hybrid cable

Soldato
Brilliant marketing and gullible audiophiles.

Most I would pay is £20~£25 for a very well made, good looking OFC cable or £25~£35 for a well made, good looking silver/hybrid cable

this, although not just restricted to audio leads, think hdmi etc to :)

I thought it was snake oil but had doubts as it is an analogue signal that can be seriously affected by poor cables. As a kid, I used to fight for use of the decent scart cable as we had one that was awful and make everything really blurry.

Soldato
Basically ALL cables will degrade the signal to some extent and the worse the cable is, the more it will degrade the signal. However, you don't need to spend hundreds of pounds to make that degradation negligible / inaudible, just make sure it's well made and uses good materials, any other claims are pure snake oil.

Soldato
I have the same except mine is a Magni 2 and I also want to get a Sys for switching between them.

The one I'm really wondering about is the Modi Multibit, which is a bit of a stretch from £90 to £250 but it is reputedly almost as good as the Bifrost MB (Bimby) for a lot less money.

The question I have to keep asking myself is whether or not I would be able to hear a difference as my ears aren't getting any younger :D

Man of Honour
The box enclosures one like with the O2 is about £10 while the bigger ones of that model jump to £60+ :|

Finally got the OPA2228 playing nice with the O2 style with the amp above - quite nice with the HD600s though maybe a touch too thick sound signature.

Back
Top Bottom