Server with very low power consumption - what to use?

Associate
I was looking at streamlining my set up a bit, as I have the following:

* PiHole, running on a RPiB+
* Home Assistant, running on a Pi3B+ (with a USB SSD)
* Odroid HC2, with a 3.5" 14TB drive - which has Openmediavault on it and is primarily used for streaming media/Live TV and recording via TVHeadend (in conjunction with a Digibit SAT-IP box).

It occurred to me that it might be better to try and combine everything in a single device, if possible.

What are my options?

Given energy prices, at the moment, I really wanted something with a very minimal power draw as it will be on 24/7.

Is an 8GB Raspberry Pi4 (if I can every get hold of one) the obvious choice for this?

I was looking at NUCs but, whilst they are much more capable, they do use quite a lot more power when idle.

Man of Honour
Some of the mini PCs with like J4125 and N5105, etc. CPUs can be very low power and tuned to reduce it even more - I'm using a MeLe PCG35 as a low power file server/syncing solution, without going to town on optimising power use, and it idles sub 2 watt, averages about 2 watt and peaks at only about 7 watt or so - though Windows 10/11 pulls those numbers up slightly. (EDIT: Those numbers don't include any attached storage drives, etc. though which will pull it up a bit).

EDIT: Not sure how the hardware stacks up versus your requirements though as I've not done some of that kind of stuff in awhile.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks very much for that - had no idea that x86 architecture could offer anything that low.

Has led me to look at something like an Odroid H3/H3+ - I am hoping that the idle wattage could be just as low. Only problem is that when you start adding RAM, power supply etc. things could start getting pretty expensive.

Soldato
This list was made on a German forum showing low power setups, might be worth a look-

Back
Top Bottom