Shed spec. help please

Soldato
I have started looking at buying a shed and cant believe the variations, options, types of wood, thickness, roofing, flooring, treated vs non treated etc etc

are cheap sheds just going to fall apart
what is the balance of getting quality withough spending too much
was thinking of a 10 x 8 window with double doors.

any advices greatly appreicated on what is worth spending a bit more on and where i can cut back

thank you

Soldato
I'd say for a run of the mill garden shed for normal tool and lawn mower storage just get a standard shiplap shed, don't need pressure treated or really thick wood.

Most important is the base, i really like the plastic grid stuff that clips together and you fill with gravel, that way it's never stood in water and the water doesn't splash up the sides so it's far far less likely to rot.

Soldato
Agree with the above. Admittedly I inherited the shed I have from the previous owner of our house, but it's your standard pitched roof 10x8, single door shiplap shed. It's now 20+ years old and is doing well. The only thing it's needed in that time is some new roof felt and a coat of paint every 5 years.

If you're actually going to be using it as a workshop, then requirements may differ.

Associate
Been doing research on this myself due to needing a new shed and the main deciding factor for me is how long you're going to use it. If you need something that'll get you 5 years until you move then practically any shed would do. A "well built" wooden shed like a Tiger will last 20+ years (as above, just needs some paint every so often and felting usually last around the 10 year mark). If you want longer then i'd entertain plastic but given they are more expensive I'd be doing it for the specific reasons of you'll be able to use its entire lifespan or if its in a particular area thats prone to moisture or lack of ventilation/can't access to maintain etc.

Soldato
Oh yeah forgot to say mine is from Tigersheds, mines 6 years old now and still like new, all I've done is paint it twice.

The only thing that's not good on mine is the plastic windows have gone yellow and foggy but the rest of it is really good quality.

Soldato
When we built my brothers shed we put it on treated 4x4 fence posts on top of concrete base - Keep it away from concrete and put gutters on it to stop splash back.
Also if it's a bit flimsy buy some roof lathes and cut to size and screw them to existing uprights and put a few cross pieces in to stop it leaning - We creosote ours and it last's years.
Don't use the supplied roofing felt - Buy some good stuff or put some on top of the supplied felt. - If you can have a choice with the roof timber go for thicker timber - My summer house had thinnest tongue and groove out there so felt had to be stapled on as felt nails came through to inside. I then put good felt on top with nails and stopped the leak of water down the spike of staple.

Soldato
I think it pays to go with somthing solid in wood, nothing flimsy. This is my dad's shed from about 15 years ago (it has had many coats of paint since then!). I think at the time it cost around £1,500. Can't complain with that, it is like £100 / year. :) Guttering and drain pipes missing from the pic.

Shed1.jpg

Soldato
Recently built 3 sheds (well, "supervised their erection" *ahem* "Watched them get built"). One was a dreadfully overpriced 6x4 made out of the world's thinnest shiplap. The felt roof was so brittle it started splitting at the apex.

Second was a much nicer 8x10 supplied by a local builders merchant - shiplap was thicker, polycarb window panels fit in tight and secure.

Third was a behemoth plastic Keter 2.9m x 2.3m from Costco, which pretty much just clicked together without a fuss...

Pay the extra, if you have the option to.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only thing it's needed in that time is some new roof felt and a coat of paint every 5 years

Rubber roof for the win, fit once enjoy for years.
I have a large shed and by dad has two, rubberoof instead of felt over 15 years ago, no issues since.
From ~ £10 sq m
Get the fancy edges if you like, or just batten and nail the edges like felt to keep costs down.

Back
Top Bottom