Should I be afraid of leakage?

Associate
Hello!

I am looking for cooling for an AMD 7800x3d processor. Basically, I planned an Artic Liquid Freezer II cooling, but there is a forum where they complain about the leakage.
What are your experiences?
Should I be afraid of this?
Will a possible leak completely destroy the machine?

Thanks

Soldato
I have been using AIOs for awhile and never had 1 leak.

I have seen some leak due to manufacturing defects etc but none out of general use.

The first thing to normally go when they leak is the GPU as for most people its directly below the CPU block.

Only thing you can really do is get a windowed PC case, some RGB inside to light it up and just keep an eye on it.

For me my PC is on my desk next to my monitor so can always see inside (its here as its the only place it can go not to monitor the AIO)

Soldato
I remember an AIO that OCUK sold that had a clear block but was an AIO with RGB.

This was leaking in systems and causing all sorts of issues

Edit, it was the Raijintek Triton AIOs but looks like the main post has gone.

Last edited:
Associate
I wouldn't worry about it too much with modern units. If it's leaking you'll most likely find out when you go to install it. More likely for the pump to misbehave I'd imagine!

Associate
I bought a corsair h100i once brand new sealed it leaked in transit pump died on the first one :( put me off them tbh but carefully inspect the internal packaging when it arrives for any signs of leaking it was obvious, in my case I think the entire coolant had come out of it. I should add never had AIO leak in the case just the pump failing

Last edited:
Associate
Most of aio's carry non conductive fluid, so even if there is a leak, it shouldn't outright destroy your components - unless you will have a lot of dust on them ;)

Soldato
I don’t watercool anymore but loved it at the time and always had a windowed case on my desk so could keep a close eye. I never left the machine running when I wasn’t around just in case, but it was for gaming only so not a problem.

I did custom setups and tested them thoroughly before putting them into my system and never had any issues when it was in and running. I know people who have had issues and damaged components despite the coolant being non conductive.

It’s a personal choice but these days with AIO it sounds like this is a relatively safe option but there are no sure things and for peace of mind I moved back to air.

Soldato
Running a artic freezer 2 420mm no problem at all, did the gasket change that artic found out to be faulty and sent out the upgraded one, installed it myself and still going strong after more than a year of use.
I've also done custom watercooling with no leaks, as long as you check all fittings you would be ok .

Last edited:
Soldato
Running a artic freezer 2 420mm no problem at all, did the gasket change that artic found out to be faulty and sent out the upgraded one, installed it myself and still going strong after more than a year of use.
I've also done custom watercooling with no leaks, as long as you check all fittings you would be ok .

Ah, you reminded me also of doing that gasket replacement. My 420mm, when I did the change, needed the full bottle of coolant to top it up. Whilst it has remained fine since doing it I have wondered if that would ever need to be done again at some point. As Artic do not include a filling port they are unlikely to sell their own replacement fluid, wit ha possible custom concoction.
I do not miss having a humongous air cooler fitted in my case, altho for some that is of little concern.

Soldato
Hello!

I am looking for cooling for an AMD 7800x3d processor. Basically, I planned an Artic Liquid Freezer II cooling, but there is a forum where they complain about the leakage.
What are your experiences?
Should I be afraid of this?
Will a possible leak completely destroy the machine?

Thanks
No providing you leak test before using in your system. If you do still worry then stick with air :)

Associate
Used quite a lot of AIOs before, since the time when Corsair used to sell fans with interchangeable rings (red, blue).
The only issue I ever had was noise. Some have screamer pumps, others have high pitch noise from pump, other the fans supplied are stupidly noisy. Never had a faulty one or leakage.
Even with custom loop, never had any serious issue, just slightly leakage because EKWB doesn’t use part of their margins in QC. Loose screws, very slow leakage.
Aircooler is more reliable. For the 7800x3D, assuming your case can offer good airflow, anything more expensive than the Phantom Spirit is only justifiable if you decide for another design. Most cases favour top installed AIO (triple fan slots) but Aircoolers should work fine.
I managed very good thermals in many fish tank design cases.
The only reason, performance wise, to go down AIO is if running 24/7 a power hungry CPU. For most people, the above mentioned Phantom Spirit at £40ish is plenty.

Soldato
And if you decide to get an AIO
Thermalright are now making those too
Looks like they want to dominate
The bang for buck section there too
Thermalright frozen prism is one model but there's
A few models
Frozen prism 360mm argb is only £55
Seems like an absolute bargain for 360mm AIO with rgb fans

Soldato
I've had a leak on a custom loop before. Actually did no damage.

The first I noticed was I started to get sound issues (only coming from one ear) and found a puddle on my soundcard. I dried it off on the radiator and a decade later it's still going :D

I was using DI water and algaecide (I found temps were best with just pure water, obviously don't use tap water). Even though the coolant may not be very conductive, it will be once it mixed with dust.

Last edited:
Soldato
I remember an AIO that OCUK sold that had a clear block but was an AIO with RGB.

This was leaking in systems and causing all sorts of issues

Edit, it was the Raijintek Triton AIOs but looks like the main post has gone.

Yep, had me one of these bad boys.

Looked the mutt's nuts, but peed all over my system like one of 'em marking his territory.

Back
Top Bottom