• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Show us your gains on 337.50 nVidia drivers

Caporegime
Well the gains are very tasty indeed and I have done some basic testing at 1080P. The key for me was always needing to run my CPU overclocked to reduce the bottleneck with running two titans and found 4.6ghz to be the sweet spot but since trying the new performance drivers from nVidia, I no longer ned to run an overclocked CPU and have seen some big big gains in the few games I have tested. More to come but for now, this is what I have.

Post your results guys and if anyone wants me to put their findings into a nice graph and doesn't know how or have the tools, fire over your results and I will do it for you :)

It would be great if people could bench as many games as possible and if you don't see any gains, let us know as well. There maybe something we can see as the reason.

Gregster's reults
8936494fdce3dcf3860356d95951029f.jpg

Whyscotty's results
ef2eb7e8461128db91da439846a0cf94.jpg

PGI's Results
54a13afa05e4683e6cf4e19ab218ec8a.jpg

Owen Eades results
e4570d04dbae98b77ab223d2b9fb6b42.jpg

NVIDIA driver discussions only

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Hi Greg Now you've had a play with BF4 with the new drivers how do you think it plays? in another thread i said how much smoother it felt as in some parts of certain maps you could feel it was very twitchy but now using these new drivers BF4 feels super smooth in all maps apart from some network lag.

I have only played the one map on the new drivers and it still didn't give me good frames compared to any of the other maps but felt very good. I never felt it was bad before though and I am quite picky with fluidity/stutter/lag/tearing. I will have to have a play with that overlay thing running but when I previously ran and recorded with that, I never got any of that spiking that has been known to happen. I purposefully picked Shanghai, as that has always been the worst map for me and even though my frames were low, it played very nice. How I wish I liked the game though :( :p

Caporegime
OP
I think that overlay looks much more compact and slightly flatter.
I'm running a 120Hz monitor and i have BF4 capped at 120fps but before the new drive i was seeing many times the fps drop below 120 but last night with 2 hours worth of gaming i never saw the fps drop :eek: though i did play your map but not when the building coming down.

This is a genuine upgrade and I'm grateful :D

I was very impressed with Mantle and AMD did well in BF4 but for me, these gains are across the DX11 range (that I have found so far) and some of them are absurd. 40% gains for me in some instances is amazing and we are not talking one or two games here either. Gains in lots of games. The ability to knock the CPU overclock off is what impresses me the most. Heat is a nightmare in the Summer and running 3 big chips (3930K + two Titans) on a 360+240 rad is hard to keep cool but with dropping the OC on the CPU, it has just made that job a little easier.

I don't say this often but nVidia need a big high five for what they have done here. Maybe they have got in bed with Microsoft and if they have, happy days :D

Whyscotty asked me to add his results to the OP, so doing that now.

Caporegime
OP
Will do Paul :)

Just did a couple of 4K tests with my CPU at stock on the old WHQL and new drivers.

Thief old drivers 19 - 40 - 62
Thief new drivers 29 - 49 - 70

Tomb Raider old drivers 35 - 49 - 64
Tomb Raider new drivers 48 - 59 - 72

So even at 4K I am seeing gains and clearly shows the CPU is not working so hard.

Caporegime
OP
SLI seems to get the biggest gains but I put that down to reducing the load on the CPU. I am insisting that everyone try these. I have not found a single issue/problem/bug/error with these and I have/am testing loads of games.

I will give Metro LL a run as well Majnu and I am on W7 :)

Caporegime
OP
I've only just finished my Parvum S2 build with a custom 7970 backplate. This is not helping me with avoiding an upgrade to a 780/780Ti!!!!!!

Mmmmm 780 and a 4K monitor :D

In truth bud, another 7970 and you would be set for a couple of years IMO. Only proper geeks need/want masses of fps and sadly, I am a proper geek :D

Here is my Metro 4K results on the new drivers just for reference and will have a play on the old drivers soon. Gonna hurt installing them again but needs must :D
3b26f6e9713258a65c8a99e6095bdc37.jpg

Caporegime
OP
Well did some testing with the CPU at stock and no gains (or losses) for me at 4K. Still, I can see the benefits when I game in 3D though, so good result.

From here and other places, it seems evident that the biggest gains are for 1080P and SLI users.

Caporegime
OP
I have noticed far lower CPU usage when I was doing the 1080P tests, so I am guessing this is why we are seeing gains. I am all out of testing for now and popped the new drivers back on but might have another play with single/SLI cards and different CPU speeds, just to see what the difference is.

I have to say though, I am mightily impressed with these and I will deffo test in 3D to see if there is some gains there as well, as that is quite demanding.

Caporegime
OP
Just tested some stuff in DX9, I don't sense or feel any gains over 335.28, I wonder if Nvidia has taken a look at DX11 (especially due to things like Mantle) and picked up gains/reduced CPU load etc. I just don't know enough about DX11 Api and programming but don't see big gains in basic rendering methods just turning up... Just a thought and it would explain the bigger gains in SLI setups etc.

Yer, I am kinda putting a tin foil hat on and speculating the reasons for the gains. I could be miles out.

Pity. I want someone to inform me the day Nvidia sort out their stupid surround implementation...

I miss my 3D, and I miss Nvidia hardware and drivers, but I just love playing on 3 screens too much, and don't like active3D, so trying to hack it to work with passive screens was just becoming painful :(

Can't wait for affordable 24 inch 4K :D

I never had any probs in surround bud and I would miss it if I didn't have 4K. I have no regrets :)

Caporegime
OP
Nice gains also Gripen. I am not seeing any at 4K but 1080P and SLI seems to have gained tremendously. It would be cool if some SLI 770's with a older CPU or low clocked CPU could do some testing to see if there is big gains there also.

Edit:

Has anyone noticed if it hogs up loads of extra vram like Mantle? One thing I forgot to look for.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
But your running SLI if you read into it they explain that. But not the 70% nvidia was saying.
They also point out how nvidia came up with total war % this the first driver to support SLI so that's where the boost is coming from.

Does it matter? I think most of us, including me said the figures needed taking with a pinch of salt prior to launch and as shown by us, none of us have seen 70% gains lol

I don't get why you are so hung up on what gains we get?

Caporegime
OP
I only saw small gains in the three games I tested. I only have a midrange GTX660 and a older SB Core i5.

I might try Crysis3 and Borderlands 2,but those are the only other taxing titles I have ATM.

Not everyone is running GTX780/GTX780TI/Geforce Titan cards with 8 to 12 thread CPUs.

I bet if you added another 660, you would see bigger gains. I have certainly noticed how low my CPU usage has dropped, so it would likely benefit you more so.

Caporegime
OP
I didn't notice any increase in VRAM usage although my 780M has 4GB of VRAM so the differences wouldn't be obvious to the eye. I also forgot to setup my MSI Afterburner overlay properly as I had to reinstall it for some random reason.

Could you add my results to your opening post please. :)

Of course I will Owen and thanks for doing the chart. :)

Caporegime
OP
Thanks and no problem. What was meant to be an afternoon of Titanfall turned into a afternoon of benchmarking and playing BF2 on my tablet. :)

Yer, I have been the same. I was meant to start benching 3D last night after work but was so tired, 3D just wasn't going to work. I will make a start today though for sure :)

Caporegime
OP
Some of these gains are astonishing. But why now?

Surely Nvidia have been working on this drivers for months, if not longer. Why not do this last year. Why have they been able to release such a driver now and not before?

I am guessing at getting the DX libraries from Microsoft which has always been closed to Microsoft only. Mantle was getting all the limelight and Microsoft didn't want to lose too many devs or want too many devs coding for Mantle.

Tin foil hat perhaps but that is my guess.

Back
Top Bottom