*Show us your pet reptiles.....*

Associate
I suspect this may be a lonely thread but here goes...

fishboy-albums-sold-reps-picture111856-tokay2.jpg
[/IMG]

Snakes27Mar-13.jpg

Snakes27Mar-5.jpg

12March-13.jpg

12March-11.jpg

bumblebee.jpg

fire3.jpg

pastelyellowbelly.jpg

willow-1.jpg

Associate
OP
I'd love a pet like one of these, it just seems a bit cruel keeping them in a tank though, and I'm at work during the day so they wouldn't get much attention. :/

Aside from correct husbandry they don't need "attention". They aren't dogs or children and don't need the same enrichment that mammals or other higher orders do and in that respect are the perfect pet for the modern busy lifestyle.

The reptile brain is very basic and instinct driven especially in species that have remained fundamentally unchanged for millions of years such as many snakes. They are ambush predators (the ones I keep at least), staying still for days at a time waiting for prey, then they find somewhere warm to curl up and digest their food. Lots of hiding and remaining still.

They have have 3 basic needs, food, water and warmth and with these met the majority would be "happy" kept in box. In fact many species that live in burrows and crevices are much happier kept in small enclosures. ;)

Associate
OP
would love a snake, but yeh, the thought of feeding it mice its just eeeew!

how much do they cost on electric compared to say a standard pc.

Depends on the snake and how you heat it.

A heat mat on a thermostat would be fairly low wattage (20w) and on about 30-50% of the time.

A ceramic bulb would be more, perhaps 150w again on about 30-50% of the time on a pulse thermostat (depending on how warm the location is).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Part of the wonder of owning dogs (German Shepherds) for me is the fact that they seem to know exactly what I'm saying to them, they really are a companion.

What's the attraction with a reptile? Can you gain any sort of bond with them or are they more for fascination?

For me it's more a fascination I suppose, more like having a fishtank than a puppy. I tend not to anthropomorphise my reptiles but this doesn't mean I care for them any less. ;)

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
oooo i could probably live with that as it doesnt look like a mouse/rat.

what is the best type to go for for a beginner, as in the lowest maintanence and the one thats most human friendly.

Probably a corn snake.

Heres a list of all the colours they come in http://www.ratsnakefoundation.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=13&Itemid=28

If you're genuinely interested in the sausages I think this is the only place they are available in the UK http://www.kiezebrink.co.uk/94-kiezebrink-sausages00126

Last edited:
Associate
OP
and how long roughly would 1kg last?

I honestly have no idea. An adult corn snake would normally eat 1-2 30g adult mice every 10-14 days depending on it's size.

It would be best to start on mice and try and switch it over to feeding on the sausages if you really want to go that route.

Associate
OP
Are there any reptiles that are intelligent enough to have a personality like a cat or dog?

Not really. Do bear in mind a lot of the personality traits we perceive in cats and dogs can be explained by fairly simple instinctual responses. People do tend to see what isn't there.

There are some that do have higher intelligence, especially monitors and crocodilians but you probably wouldn't want one of them....

Associate
OP
thats not bad at all i dont think. works out at about 33 in a pack, so thats 16 feeds (6-8months if my maths isnt as bad as im starting to think it is).

are they sociable, as in, do they like to come out and be handled?

They don't "like" it as such but with regular handling they will learn there is nothing to fear and become tolerant.

I've owned over 100 snakes over a 5 year period and handled most days and in all that time i've only been bitten by tiny hatchlings which doesn't hurt anyway. It's funny more than anything.

Associate
OP
so would easily eat into £150-£200. whats the average life expectancy of a snake? do they like to live alone?

You can expect 12-15 average for a corn snake but thay have been known to live over 20.

Best to keep them alone though they can be cohabited in female groups but that throws up loads of potential problems.

Associate
OP
I am looking at getting a crested gecko, they seem to be a good starter reptile. Would it be beneficial for the gecko to get 2 at the same time? (i know they might fight, but i mean, get 2 females at the same time)

A lot of people do but I had to separate my groups because I didn't like seeing them covered in bite marks. You will always get some level of hierarchy in a group and with that comes disputes. Try it if you like, but yes, start with them from a young age (old enough to sex obviously) and introduce them slowly with the aid of a clear divider like a sheet of clear plastic.

Edit - sorry I read that as leopard gecko but yeah I guess it's pretty much the same. I only ever kept my cresties on their own but people do cohabit them.

Back
Top Bottom