Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
I can't even remember where I found it now...may be a YouTube short or the front page on Aliexpress. I think I saw the white one first but went for black.

Always wanted this style, the Acaia Luna is the one I REALLY wanted and there have been a couple of times I went for one. Even at my weakest I wasn't that weak to spend £250 on a set of scales, even if it does 0.01g. Considering they both have built in batteries and all batteries degrade and die. When this die I will just get another for £15. I need to buy a dozen of these before the cost of 1 Acaia.
It's as you say. My friend has a Lunar and it's nice but not £200+ nice.

Soldato
Got some new scales from Aliexpress. Only about £15, seems very nice. USB-C charging, bright LED, accurate to 0.1g.

Gqld8Ev.jpg

These are great scales, cheers for the heads-up!

Soldato
How'd it go?
Had a great time. I didn't have a wink of sleep the night before due to gut ache. So I stuck to filter and long blacks for tasting. Record amount of freebies, reason for that I was interviewed while waiting to go in so I got a VIP tote bag! :D
I bought about the average amount that I buy on my trips there. 1st 1kg purchase at the festival which was a blend from Carrara, a roaster in Market Harborough for a good price.
Spoke to dave @ Danelaw. Spoke about the online disappearance of Brian Williams of Brian coffee spot. not been online for 6 months now and not much of an explanation why. I'm concerned that he may be ill.

Soldato
What's a good starter hand grinder?

I'm putting together a starter coffee kit present for a friend. The coffee will be made using an Aeropress and will be using a cheap set of 0.1g scales, but obviously need something to grind the beans with.

Man of Honour
Had a great time. I didn't have a wink of sleep the night before due to gut ache. So I stuck to filter and long blacks for tasting. Record amount of freebies, reason for that I was interviewed while waiting to go in so I got a VIP tote bag! :D
I bought about the average amount that I buy on my trips there. 1st 1kg purchase at the festival which was a blend from Carrara, a roaster in Market Harborough for a good price.
Spoke to dave @ Danelaw. Spoke about the online disappearance of Brian Williams of Brian coffee spot. not been online for 6 months now and not much of an explanation why. I'm concerned that he may be ill.

Good good. Free VIP freebees. Very nice. Anything particularly cool in them this year?

I surprisingly didn't come back with too much coffee, Origin, Redemption and Danelaw mainly. Some Mork hot chocolate for the other half too.

Hadn't actually thought about it, but yeah, Brian hasn't been around for a while. Damn. Hope all's ok there.

I'm putting together a starter coffee kit present for a friend. The coffee will be made using an Aeropress and will be using a cheap set of 0.1g scales, but obviously need something to grind the beans with.

Something like the Rhino mini as it's designed to work with the aeropress. Fits inside for travel and has an adaptor so you can grind straight into the aeropress.

It's a d+ecent price. Going up from that, the Timemore Slim grinder and the Madebyknock Aergrind. Both significantly more.

Associate

Kplus and a next level pulsar. Both offer great versatility. K series sits in between filter and espresso focussed grind levels so great all rounder. Pulsar allows for range of brew styles ranging from full immersion to pour over or hybrid. Downside is more expensive than the aeropress and skews towards larger 18-20g+ doses.

Soldato
So update on the coffee machine replacement :) In the end I went for a Delonghi Delica 858. So far I've programmed its 2 cup option for the maximum 180ml which works out about 75% of a cup - that will do. It does blonde out but that's acceptable. The coffee gets ground once a week anyway and it tastes pretty good considering.
I did note they had a 9xx model too but after reading they changed the steam wand again.. and you don't have the option for hot water supposedly. The 9xx adds a couple of options for temperature control etc but the 858 has the option for low/med/high temp infusion programming too. Used nectar points and reward token.. cost £150 :)

VAaBEuZ.jpeg

Also checked my MACAP4's grinding burrs .. seems all normal here:

DetIfuB.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato

The speed of heat up and having to purge water with touchscreen is underwhelming but I love the idea of this. Just hope future iterations and the modular approach takes off. It's about time the big players were given kick to drive innovation at competitive prices.

The new Profitec Drive is disappointing for the money.

Last edited:
Soldato
The speed of heat up and having to purge water with touchscreen is underwhelming but I love the idea of this. Just hope future iterations and the modular approach takes off. It's about time the big players were given kick to drive innovation at competitive prices.
it was a live demo of what ? the mirror is a good idea though, ground coffee nearly orange in colour, peculiar;
evidently a thermoblock type machine like dedica and bambino.

I couldn't find any videos of folks wondering around sca inspecting new toys.

In the end I went for a Delonghi Delica 858.
nice ... I think they are well spec'd machines and the tear-downs are complimentary of design too.

Caporegime
Now I am back in the Espresso game...but still like my filter. I want to get a better (more ergonomic) hand grinder, under £100. So I can have 1 grinder for 1 type of coffee.

I like the look of the 1Zpresso 2Qs, any other to look at?

I was going to fork out and get a Fellow Ode Gen 2 but that seems excessive.

Soldato
Now I am back in the Espresso game...but still like my filter. I want to get a better (more ergonomic) hand grinder, under £100. So I can have 1 grinder for 1 type of coffee.

I like the look of the 1Zpresso 2Qs, any other to look at?

I was going to fork out and get a Fellow Ode Gen 2 but that seems excessive.
Get a hand grinder if you're really passionate about but it's a real pita for morning you just want some coffee quick. It's why I ended up with another grinder. I recommend picking something on sale that will sell easy too.

Caporegime
I'm currently looking for a spring loaded tamper. Are there any beaters over the 3Bomber for £25?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...0NQBnWgj&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:

Or the set version looks slick:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...=scene:pcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller|query_from:

I bought the £19 option in the first link about 3 weeks ago. It works great, good material. Weighty in the hand and does exactly what it says on the tin.

I would prefer a flat base and not a ridge one though, but I don't know if I want to pay £27 more for that as I can always use a normal tamper to smooth it out after (more faff though)

Back
Top Bottom