silly season - F1 2017 driver line up

Soldato
He does have some pedigree with his wins thus far and obviously isn't being employed solely for financial reasons.

That said he's only been racing for three years. Also, Williams protestations that they choose their drivers on merit is pathetic. Williams have a proven track record of following the money. They may occasionally luck out with someone who has both money and talent but they're always desperate for cash.

I'm sick and tired of Williams. They have the best engine yet they're perennial underachievers, always tooling around in the mid-pack and never looking remotely like moving up to the front. Force India are the same and I don't blame Nico for taking a chance with Renault one bit - he's never going to achieve anything with FI.

Soldato
I'm not sure how much money a driver has or brings is particularly relevant as it seems to me that it has been the best car that has won over the past years. When was the last time a bad car with a good driver won the WDC? Individual races I wouldn't count as we all know sometimes conditions create havoc. Maybe a separate thread to discuss drivers and money.
Andi.

Soldato
I'm sick and tired of Williams. They have the best engine yet they're perennial underachievers

Constructors Championship
2013 - 9th
2014 - 3rd
2015 - 3rd

I would hardly call 3rd perennial underachievement.

2016 has been a bit of a duller year for them but they have rightly advised their focus shifted to 2017 early because they have much less of a budget then the big 3.

Force India are the same and I don't blame Nico for taking a chance with Renault one bit - he's never going to achieve anything with FI.

For the budget they have FI are arguable the most £ to performance efficient team on the grid, showing constant improvement over the recent years as well.

2012 - 7th
2013 - 6th
2014 - 6th
2015 - 5th
2016 - fighting for 4th

While I agree they will struggle to do any better its far from fair to say they will never achieve anything, considering they already have achieved great things!
Also I believe FI are the team that has performed best when it comes to power unit usage this year. I believe they may get through the season with 4 PU's per car, which is impressive.

Transmission breaker
Don
Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think Palmer has got enough ammunition to dictate where he wants to go. He needs to jump into the first seat he is offered.

He's had a pretty mediocre first season - his pace hasn't been too shabby and he's not been clattering into people (he never has been like that) but he's not got the ability to dig deep and do extraordinary things that some other rookies have had.

He's not a particularly young driver so he's not going to suddenly find his feet and set the world on fire.

I would be surprised if Red Bull didn't offer Gasly for a year, seeing as all four of their seats are filled.

Soldato
OP
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/force-india-signs-ocon-on-multi-year-deal-847808/

Ocon confirmed at FI, I wonder how Wehrlein feels about this considering he was Mercedes golden boy and Ocon appeared half way through 2017 and has landed a much better seat now in FI!

thx - updated OP w/ Ocon and Palmer deals

Kmag better hope he signs a deal w/ Haas quickly. would be interesting to see how he competes w/ Grosjean. according to ESPN the deal is rumoured to have been signed just not officially announced http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/17123069/how-2017-f1-grid-shaping-up

Last edited:
Soldato
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/force-india-signs-ocon-on-multi-year-deal-847808/

Ocon confirmed at FI, I wonder how Wehrlein feels about this considering he was Mercedes golden boy and Ocon appeared half way through 2017 and has landed a much better seat now in FI!

Yeah, it's a bit weird that Wehrlein seems to be getting overlooked so much. Maybe he's had a promise from a bigger team down the line? or he's waiting for Rosberg or Hamilton to leave and he'll get that seat

Transmission breaker
Don
I get the feeling Wehrlein is so heavily invested in by Mercedes, they are pretty much in control of his career, and as such he does not have much control over what he does. This suits Mercedes having him sat there waiting for when (if) they lose a top line driver.

Back
Top Bottom