Silo - By Hugh Howey - May 5th

Soldato
I'm struggling with Wool, it hasn't gripped me. I did however love the way the series ended, and can't wait for more.
Yes it just cooked my noodle.

Still trying to assimilate how and why the green that people thought they saw on exiting the Silo was kind of a reverse trick and the real world is as barren as the actual projected view.

Last edited:

Still trying to assimilate how and why the green that people thought they saw on exiting the Silo was kind of a reverse trick and the real world is as barren as the actual projected view.

The green is "the wool" that is pulled over their eyes in order to keep a sense of hope alive (and to get them to clean).

Soldato
The green is "the wool" that is pulled over their eyes in order to keep a sense of hope alive (and to get them to clean).
That makes sense.

Got the first book reserved at the library so hopefully answer some of the many questions once it turns up...

1. Was the whole world toxic or just the area around the silos?
2. Where did the rest of the bodies of those sentenced to death aka "cleaning" go to?
3. Did the silo "overseers" know of the existence of the other silos and keep in touch with their counterparts?
4. Are there Fallout style settlements out in the wasteland.
5. How is Juliette going to survive if the world is toxic, she daren't remove her helmet to eat and drink?

Soldato
That makes sense.

Got the first book reserved at the library so hopefully answer some of the many questions once it turns up...

1. Was the whole world toxic or just the area around the silos?
2. Where did the rest of the bodies of those sentenced to death aka "cleaning" go to?
3. Did the silo "overseers" know of the existence of the other silos and keep in touch with their counterparts?
4. Are there Fallout style settlements out in the wasteland.
5. How is Juliette going to survive if the world is toxic, she daren't remove her helmet to eat and drink?

Pretty much all answered over the 3 books :)

Man of Honour

It is a bit of a departure I believe, though not entirely, from the premise in the books. Unfortunately if you actually think about it though it doesn't make much sense as it is entirely unneeded in terms of convincing people, the writers for the show kind of screwed up (unless they plan to go a very different path in the series than the books and build in another level of explanation).

Last edited:
Soldato
As a follow up about three quarters of the way through Book One (Wool) and it is kind of frustrating the TV show went in for a lot of padding which wasn't in the book (so far) which actually explodes with action in the second half...

Juliette finding her way into Silo 17 and the mysterious Solo who might not be the only resident.
The failed revolt by Mechanical and Supply in Silo 18.
Walk (who is a guy in the book) getting a rdio working and in addition to picking up signals from other Silos discovers Juliette is still alive.
Lukas bein taken under Bernard's wing and his interview/chat with some sort of Silo Group Overlord

Really good stuff which would have made for gripping TV.

Soldato
I doubt it. With all these film stars in TV shows, their schedules are so slow for doing the TV. I doubt even this year.
Severence for instance... How long ago did that air, no signs of a s02. I doubt we'll see The Last of Us s02 this year either. It's pretty annoying.

Last edited:
Soldato
Given the scope of the trilogy of books, the TV series did seem to make a definite choice to go slow on the plot development and the big reveals. Personally I think this worked out well. But the TV series is now going to have to make a decision about how fast to push things along. This decision will be influenced by how many seasons they think Apple will fund before either pulling the plug (as happens all too often these days) or forcing a swift conclusion.

Be interesting to see what they cram into Season 2 (or if they continue going slow). There's also the option to skip most of Book 2 if they are being pushed for budget reasons. It could be told in a flashback format, with just enough to explain who the characters in Book 3 are.

Associate
Watching Fallout this week reminded me that season 2 of Silo should come out this year.

Bunkers/Silos etc.

rp2000
i doubt that it be out this year as the writer strike hit the show very hard like so many others, with filming only just finishing at the beginning of march. so the vfx work need doing plus various other post-production work. so too many factors to say for sure it out this year at best first few episodes released late November - December time, rest released in the new year. if not then maybe first or second quarter of 2025.

Soldato
i doubt that it be out this year as the writer strike hit the show very hard like so many others, with filming only just finishing at the beginning of march. so the vfx work need doing plus various other post-production work. so too many factors to say for sure it out this year at best first few episodes released late November - December time, rest released in the new year. if not then maybe first or second quarter of 2025.
Hopefully closer to the start of the year while the weather is still crud, much prefer sitting in to binge something when it’s miserable outside.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Awesome series, certainly had me gripped for more it sorta reminds me though of Snowpiercer which sadly did not get a proper ending.

Caporegime
3 episodes left on my rewatch. This time round binged it, 3 episodes, then another 4 and on the final 3 now.

Going back and reading my comments earlier in the thread, they seem harsh:

-Rebecca Ferguson actually smiles quite a bit in the flashbacks, when she was with George. Her acting is really good overall in this show.
-There aren't really any filler episodes, I just wasn't paying enough attention to the story, but itv advances significantly every episode.

This show definitely works better without the weekly episode gap tbh. I'm picking up small details more and linking the events of each episode much more clearly. Maybe they should have used a "previously on Silo" as you sort of need a reminder when watching weekly. I know the shows are different, but I prefer this to Fallout, in terms of the story and mystery. A couple of friends I advised to watch Silo, as they also enjoyed Fallout were put off by the trailer, as it's not very colourful in comparison. The colour palette didn't didn't really bother me 1st time round, but now they mentioned it, i've been much more conscious of it in my 2nd viewing. It is all a bit too brown, now I think about it!

Anyway, 2 episodes to go and then a much longer than I thought wait for Season 2, maybe Severance S2 will come out in between to fill the gap...

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom