Sim racers - what are you running?

Associate
Fanatec's CEO and founder has been removed from power by the board.:eek:

Something had to happen tbh. The fulfilment process the have just doesn't work. I know a guy that's been waiting over 6 months for his stuff.

Last edited:
Associate
As far as I'm concerned (And through my own experience with them) they do make really good products. However it is everything else that they fall down on. The big change in the 2nd half of last year to try and upsize everything in terms of their distribution network and manufacturing effort is where things started to go wrong.

Soldato
Here's the start of my efforts. So much stuff is out of stock currently, no idea when it will be complete. I have a small outbuilding office, gutted the rear desk/project area and slapped a Trak Racer TR160 Mk4 frame in there, with a Sparco R333 seat. Due to space, I will be most likely going triple 27" 1440P screens, VNM pedals, shifter and handbrake, but not decided on base/steering wheel yet.

I have an old work PC on the wall by my desk that I am going to relocate to near ground level on the back wall, to the right of the rig -

MV6ZaRg.jpeg

Tbz3mNB.jpeg

Hello mate,

Just got to the part of the build with your exact chair + TR160 where I'm almost ready to do the seat (this whole thing has been a learning curve haha!) did you mount the chair onto the runners before putting it onto the rig or did you install the runners to the beams on the rig first? I'm only 5'6 so was thinking to put the runners in the centre of the beams on the rig, any advice would be grand! Instructions aren't the best imo and are designed for trak racer seats/side mounts for seats!

image0.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
N
Hello mate,

Just got to the part of the build with your exact chair + TR160 where I'm almost ready to do the seat (this whole thing has been a learning curve haha!) did you mount the chair onto the runners before putting it onto the rig or did you install the runners to the beams on the rig first? I'm only 5'6 so was thinking to put the runners in the centre of the beams on the rig, any advice would be grand! Instructions aren't the best imo and are designed for trak racer seats/side mounts for seats!

image0.jpg
Hey man,

I don’t have that exact rig but I had a similar dilemma with the omega. I ended up putting the runners on the seat first and then onto the rig.

It was difficult mounting the seat onto the runners when I tried mounting the runners to the rig first.

Took me ages, was a right faff.

Soldato
Hey man,

I don’t have that exact rig but I had a similar dilemma with the omega. I ended up putting the runners on the seat first and then onto the rig.

It was difficult mounting the seat onto the runners when I tried mounting the runners to the rig first.

Took me ages, was a right faff.

Thanks buddy that's what we ended up doing, we got it on then sorted the runners so that we could get them as far forward as possible for when my son uses it or someone taller can. About 50% through the build now.

Weekends challenge will be getting the wheel plate in the best position plus the pedal plate and shifter mount, pretty decent for track racer to include a shifter mount with the rig and they included the cable clips plus table ties.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks buddy that's what we ended up doing, we got it on then sorted the runners so that we could get them as far forward as possible for when my son uses it or someone taller can. About 50% through the build now.

Weekends challenge will be getting the wheel plate in the best position plus the pedal plate and shifter mount, pretty decent for track racer to include a shifter mount with the rig and they included the cable clips plus table ties.

image.jpg

Looks good mate. I would recommend to remove your screen before installing the wheel and pedals.

Associate
I won my first race on iRacing! MX5 cup on Okayama! I’ve only been sim racing for about week - is that good or fairly normal? That was in split 23/40.

I came close to winning a few times before. Once the car I was about to lap spun out in front of me and I had to brake hard to avoid, and got overtaken by P2 as a result on the last lap.

Most frustrating was the game crashing when I led 7/8 laps and on the final lap, last couple corners and suddenly froze.

Last edited:
Associate
I have HDR on with my monitors (listed in sig)

I don’t see any downside as I find iracing a little washed out as default. Sometimes the luminance on a sunny day is a bit too much but it’s very rare.

I never have HDR on in the iracing settings though. It’s some fake version designed to emulate it and it’s weird with a performance hit too.

Soldato
Pedals (P1000) finally arrived. I’ve got it all set up and I’m actually blown away. I have a huge learning curve to get through now but it was huge fun. Played some AC, ACC and F1 23 already. I also added a couple of haptics onto the pedals (brake and throttle) but forgot they needed a power supply so that’s on order.

Associate
Fanatec getting into the sim rig business.

I think this looks a bit weak when you can get a Sim Lab GT1 Evo for less money. It's €620 once you add the monitor mount and the seat. No option for triples with the monitor mount (though arguably if you're looking at a rig at this sort of price you may not be the target market for triples) and the seat looks a bit crap. You don't easily have the option to add to it, upgrade to triples, mount your own seat to it, etc. like you do with a profile rig.

I went hunting for a review of it. I found one in German. The guy hooked a DD1 up to it and it seemed to translate a lot of forces through the rig and produced some wobble in the frame and monitor. It fared better with a 12 or 15 Nm base on it.

Back
Top Bottom