Poll: Singapore Grand Prix 2022, Marina Bay Street Circuit - Race 17

Rate the Singapore race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Not really. Max had no business being right up Lando's rear under VSC conditions. That's the reason why it looked dangerous. You can't follow someone that closely and call "brake check" when he slows (for the corner). This wasn't racing conditions, Max was trying it on as he always does.

As above. I don't have time to hunt down the rulebook but I'd be interested to know what the rules are around car distancing under VSC.

Why was Lando racing under the vsc? He's the one that should be setting a consistent pace, not Max. How is Norris, the car ahead, going full throttle under the vsc but yet it's all Max's fault as usual? Take the rose tinted glasses off. It's boring.

Soldato
Why was Lando racing under the vsc? He's the one that should be setting a consistent pace, not Max. How is Norris, the car ahead, going full throttle under the vsc but yet it's all Max's fault as usual? Take the rose tinted glasses off. It's boring.
Drivers go full throttle under VSC all the time. There are youtube videos explaining how it works. They basically drive to a delta but can bias it towards being behind between each detection zone, or ahead. They are able to try to predict when the green light will come on, and get a jump on the guy ahead by building up some time deficit to then "catch up" but have greater approach speed and momentum. (I explained that terribly).

Last edited:
Soldato
Reading everything I've seen recently about VSC and double waved yellow seems to suggest that no matter the driver they simply can't be trusted not to push the envelope of what's acceptable.

I'd say have the FIA come up with hard and fast rules/limits on what is expected of drivers under these conditions but they are also about as useful as a chocolate fireguard :s

Don't know the solution either but there's probably something I'm overlooking.

Man of Honour
Instead of having a time to drive down to, why not give them a 10 seconds to get slow to the pit speed limiter? 60 or 80km/h should do for safety of people trackside.

Soldato
I wonder if they could add that they have to run with something like the pit limiter, so all cars are forced to go the same speed during VSC.
Yeah some form of this would be better. Clearly drivers can game it, otherwise.
Why was Lando racing under the vsc? He's the one that should be setting a consistent pace, not Max.
So Max shouldn't have to obey the VSC, but Lando does? Oookkkk.. Regardless of what Lando was doing (probably warming tyres), Max had no business being so close/or alongside.
Reading everything I've seen recently about VSC and double waved yellow seems to suggest that no matter the driver they simply can't be trusted not to push the envelope of what's acceptable.
Indeed. Other drivers gamed the full SC last season and they even created new rules to prevent it :o

Soldato
Yeah some form of this would be better. Clearly drivers can game it, otherwise.

So Max shouldn't have to obey the VSC, but Lando does? Oookkkk.. Regardless of what Lando was doing (probably warming tyres), Max had no business being so close/or alongside.

Indeed. Other drivers gamed the full SC last season and they even created new rules to prevent it :o

I didn't say anything about Max not having to stick to vsc rules, I don't think either of them should be racing under vsc, it completely goes against the safety purpose of a vsc, but as usual only max is ever guilty to you. The blind bias is so sad but it's all you know.

Caporegime
Glad I didn't watch that live.

Delayed start and 2 hours. And looked mostly dull.

Very disappointed by alpine. Kind. Of wish I didn't support them. Mclaren deserve to be in front. And it it wasn't for riccardo they'd be far in front.

They've had so many reliability problems and next season? I'm dreading that as mclaren have a much much stronger car.

Probably most boring wet race in ages.

Soldato

Very disappointed by alpine. Kind. Of wish I didn't support them. Mclaren deserve to be in front. And it it wasn't for riccardo they'd be far in front.

They've had so many reliability problems and next season? I'm dreading that as mclaren have a much much stronger car.

Agreed , I think we all live in hope of a Canda 2011 repeat. I suppose it goes to show how good a race that was.

Don

It wasn't a wet race, it was mildly damp race after the FIA delayed it over an hour without good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom