Sky Box Regularly Disconnecting From WiFi

Associate
As in the title really. I have always had an issue where from time to time my Sky Q box drops off the WiFi and won't recover the connection. Recently this has changed to daily making me think there's an issue with the box itself.

Router is in the room directly above so signal strength is perfectly fine, all other devices around the house maintain connection (or at least re-establish connection). Can't think of any new devices added to the network that would bump the box off if it's a number of connected devices issue (though as it has gone from say every few weeks to daily I doubt it's related to that. Happened just as regularly when my wife was away recently so a few devices down on the usual total). Broadband is non-Sky FTTP.

Resetting the WiFi through the menus mostly fixes it for that session but it'll lose it again on standby. Power off at the wall also works and [certainly used to] fix for longer.

Any ideas from people out there? Considering just asking Sky to replace tbh, box is maybe 6 years old at this point.

Associate
OP
Thanks mods for moving here, didn't realise I was in the wrong place originally.

Mine does that as well. Can only be the box in my mind.
I'd love to have it hard wired to avoid this. Used to in my last place but decide I wanted the FTTP in to my office here and not got a cable between rooms. Perhaps it's worth cutting into the walls to see...

Soldato
Mine does it too. It's nothing to do with my internet. I tried to hardwire using home plugs and this works for a short while and then the box defaults back to WiFi.

It was bothering me and my contract was ending, so I'm out.

When it works, it's fantastic. So you head upstairs to watch a movie on the Sky Q mini box and then it complains that it's lost connectivity. First world problems I know..

Associate
i think its an issue with non sky internet and the sky q box. i had my sky fibre for years with sky q with no issues, changed isp last week and it wont stay connected to the sky q box, its a known issue unfortunately.

initially i connected it to 5ghz wifi perfectly fine, that lost connection and then wouldnt even see the 5ghz channel again, so i created a 2.4ghz wifi just for sky and it still disconnects but less frequently.

im sure there are better solutions but i havent really looked into it too much

Soldato
Our main box does it from time to time, nothing changed with regards to wifi to cause it to drop off, reboot Sky Q box and it'll connect up automatically and start working again

Associate
Perhaps your router gets full, every now and then. I get this 'too many devices' warning from my sky router every so often. I can only assume it's all the 2.4ghz devices we have, security cameras and the like.
I'm fortunate I was able to hardwire my Sky box in.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i think its an issue with non sky internet and the sky q box. i had my sky fibre for years with sky q with no issues, changed isp last week and it wont stay connected to the sky q box, its a known issue unfortunately.

initially i connected it to 5ghz wifi perfectly fine, that lost connection and then wouldnt even see the 5ghz channel again, so i created a 2.4ghz wifi just for sky and it still disconnects but less frequently.

im sure there are better solutions but i havent really looked into it too much
That's an idea to carry me over, will look into a 2.4GHz dedicated network.
Our main box does it from time to time, nothing changed with regards to wifi to cause it to drop off, reboot Sky Q box and it'll connect up automatically and start working again
This exactly what I have been doing but it's now every time and even then not always helping.
Perhaps your router gets full, every now and then. I get this 'too many devices' warning from my sky router every so often. I can only assume it's all the 2.4ghz devices we have, security cameras and the like.
I'm fortunate I was able to hardwire my Sky box in.
It seemed just as frequent while my wife was away recently (so the household was down a few devices). Not sure it's necessarily this but don't have any concrete evidence against it.

I've cancelled sky altogether today to renegotiate a better deal. If they win me over I'll get them to throw in a new box and hopefully resolve for now.

Back
Top Bottom