Sky Fibre Optic

Man of Honour
What does "flashing like crazy" mean

The LAN light on BTs box:

The sky person seemed to think this suggested a lot of bandwidth is being used. I’ve run a speed test and we’re getting between 50-60 whereas we used to get 140-150mbps.

I don’t get what’s changed. We have a good few Tapo smart plugs, some internal and external cctv, but I don’t see why any of those would be using much of our connection and we’ve not added anything recently.

Sky seem out of ideas based on today. We have a full WiFi connection across the whole house.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Oh, not to worry, Sky have the solution and they’re about to phone me and offer wisdom (plus sky cinema that I don’t need).

She gave me these instructions:

Turn off white optical box with plug socket

Lights go off

Take every cable out of back of hub

Turn it off for 11 mins

Plug optical network terminal back in

Put Ethernet cable in port 4 of hub
(Black cable with yellow end)

Plug hub back in

Don’t put CCTV in until all lights are back on - 4 green lights - then other Ethernet cables in the back

They’re obsessed with our CCTV. It’s a local wired system, it only uses WiFi when connecting externally. Muppets.

We’ve managed about 6 months of decent internet on fibre and now boom, it’s gone most of the time. The line is fine though apparently - I wouldn’t know, it connects so rarely. When it does connect I manage 0.1-50mbps. Meant to be on 150.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Is this FTTP?

Have you tried changing cables, or just one device into their hub, nothing else connected?

Get your PPOoE details off Sky and dial straight into the ONT with a laptop.

Man of Honour
Is this FTTP?

Have you tried changing cables, or just one device into their hub, nothing else connected?

Get your PPOoE details off Sky and dial straight into the ONT with a laptop.

Yes. I’ll have a play in a bit. Cable has been changed. I’ll try a longer reset and then plug in one cable at a time.

The phone call was 15 minutes of my life I won’t get back. Why can’t you be home for an engineer this week? Because I ******* work.

Soldato
I won't be staying with Sky. Had so many dropouts, only half way through my contact as well. During my entire 2 years with BT not a single one.

Man of Honour
I’ve tried a reset. Within minutes it’s dropped down from 150 to 100, but I can live with that. Will leave all cables out for a second. The voice light is going orange I’ve noticed, sounds like an issue all over the internet for which they have no solution and don’t acknowledge.

Edit: so far so good since the reset other than a slight speed drop, but then I guess it took a bit longer to throw up an issue last time too. CCTV still unplugged, it’s perhaps a more complicated issue if that’s the problem. Could try a different cable I guess.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So it’s definitely the cctv weirdly. I don’t really understand since it’s a local storage that should only be sending data when viewed. When plugged in the data light on the port goes nuts. I’ll try resetting it, swapping the cable etc and will check the settings. The only thing I can think of recently was a power cut that may have somehow affected it.

Man of Honour
Data lights on ports is meaningless. They flash when there's activity, and if you put Wireguard on a flat layer 2 network, you will see lots and lots of traffic.

Caporegime
It smells like maybe the CCTV box switch is faulty or you've got a loop on it that is spreading to the rest of the network when it's connected. There's no cameras connected to it that are also connected to your Wi-Fi is there?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It smells like maybe the CCTV box switch is faulty or you've got a loop on it that is spreading to the rest of the network when it's connected. There's no cameras connected to it that are also connected to your Wi-Fi is there?

Nope. All wired.

So I restarted the CCTV box, plugged it back in and so far so good. I would say our connection speed seems to have dropped slightly, but that’s not exactly scientific (can’t tell though normal use, only speed test). The connection itself hasn’t dropped once. Have to say I never would have thought to restart the cctv box. Lights on port and white BT box have chilled out completely. Will continue to monitor.

At least Sky also installed an extender that now provides a solid signal for my gym :)

Edit: seems to be full speed now, no drop outs which is great. A mix of downloading, streaming and browsing at once, all good so far :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom