Small portableish case?

Soldato
Hi all,

I've been thinking about a new build for winter, I'd like a small case that can go comfortably under the TV for controller sofa games, and also be moved without much hassle to another room for VR games. I've seen a Cooler Master NR200 which I like the look of, but is m-itx going to limit my choice of hardware?

I'd go for a latest gen i5/7, with a mobo that comes with WiFi, Bluetooth etc so that I don't need any extra accessories (my current PC is 6th gen i7 so don't know if this is all standard now). Probably a 4070 is in my price/performance target. I will need another PCI slot for the VR wireless adapter. Would this be OK or is m-atx a better fit?

I've seen this one but it's going to be a fair chunk bigger than the cooler master:

Last edited:
Associate
As you're wanting to add in another PCI-E device, you'd probably not get away with ITX as the motherboards usually only have a single slot.
If it's going under the TV, a MATX will also give you a bit more room for cooling and result in a quieter build, with the bonus of extra slots.

From what I've read online, ITX motherboards are also a bit £££ following the GPU market. So you may even be able to save some money.

Soldato
OP

This one looks alright, but watching a vid on it, might be a tight squeeze and cooling isnt great. I'll probably just have to buy the case and measure up to make sure things will fit.

Associate
I have a the NR200 and it is a fantastic case. However, you will pay a premium for the itx motherboard and PSU (unless you already have one).

M-ATX is cheaper and has the extra PCI slot you need. They are not that much bigger really.

I quite like that Jonsbo D31 case you linked. You have got me thinking now...

Associate
If you go for an MATX build be careful of the size of graphics card.
My Gigabyte B550m AM4 motherboard has 2 slots between the 2 pci-e slots but when I upgraded my graphics card I didn't realise that it was more like 2.25 slots thick and so I had to ditch the use of my second pci-e slot.
Check slot placement and gpu thickness / height before you buy.
I am tempted by this D31 too, seems this and the Lian Li 205m are the only 2 cases I think look nice.

Back
Top Bottom