Snowsports 2023/2024

Soldato
After much faffing and getting gazzumped on last minute deals I’ve got a week in La Thuile / La Rosiere (two resorts connected at the top under 1 ski pass) by myself via Crystal on Sunday. Not done a solo holiday before but I’m sure I’ll be okay! Seems relatively quiet which is ideal for practicing and a decent enough size that I won’t get lost but won’t get bored either - decent view of Mont Blanc from the top is a bonus.

For people that have had private lessons (ideally intermediate level) - did you feel you got more out of consecutive days lessons or doing one every other day? I’m thinking Monday I’ll need the day to get my ski legs back then between Tues-Sat I want to fit maybe 3 x 2 hour lessons in…

Associate
After much faffing and getting gazzumped on last minute deals I’ve got a week in La Thuile / La Rosiere (two resorts connected at the top under 1 ski pass) by myself via Crystal on Sunday. Not done a solo holiday before but I’m sure I’ll be okay! Seems relatively quiet which is ideal for practicing and a decent enough size that I won’t get lost but won’t get bored either - decent view of Mont Blanc from the top is a bonus.

For people that have had private lessons (ideally intermediate level) - did you feel you got more out of consecutive days lessons or doing one every other day? I’m thinking Monday I’ll need the day to get my ski legs back then between Tues-Sat I want to fit maybe 3 x 2 hour lessons in…
there's pros and cons to both m8.
lessons for 1/2 a day in a row has a good chance of having the same people each day - so adds some social elements. And gives you people to ski/board with during the rest of the week.

also, while I understand your concerns about ski-legs on the 1st day - there's a good argument about thinking of the lessons as a guide to a new mountain, to show you some runs to practice on in the afternoon, without the risk of getting too lost.

lessons every other day might work out - but you might be missing out day 2 and 4 of the week lesson course - so potentially missing some decent foundations being taught those days. the lessons can only go at the rate of the slowest person, so unless you're catastrophically unfit then I'm sure you'll be cool for a few days in a row.

enjoy the holiday

Soldato
there's pros and cons to both m8.
lessons for 1/2 a day in a row has a good chance of having the same people each day - so adds some social elements. And gives you people to ski/board with during the rest of the week.

also, while I understand your concerns about ski-legs on the 1st day - there's a good argument about thinking of the lessons as a guide to a new mountain, to show you some runs to practice on in the afternoon, without the risk of getting too lost.

lessons every other day might work out - but you might be missing out day 2 and 4 of the week lesson course - so potentially missing some decent foundations being taught those days. the lessons can only go at the rate of the slowest person, so unless you're catastrophically unfit then I'm sure you'll be cool for a few days in a row.

enjoy the holiday

Sorry to clarify I’m not talking about the standard tour operator ski school packages but verified/qualified independent instructors booked through the Maison Sport app where you can book private 121 lessons for 1/2/3/whole day at your leisure.

Soldato
Whole day lesson on the first day. Get to know the mountain, get some tips. Your legs will be the freshest on the first day. See how you get on, but depending on what you want to do get a guided group for the next few days and get some miles under your skis.

I’ve made the biggest improvements in technique when skiing with guides / instructors. Next best thing is skiing with friends who are loads better. How’s your fitness? Bit late to do anything at this point, but some general stretching might help in the preceding days.

Have a great time!

Last edited:
Soldato
You can't get lost at La Thulie, it all goes the same way from the top. Look out for the slowest ever chair lift which the second from the left as you look up, don't get on it!

If you're there for a week maybe think about a car. Cormayeur is close and you can ski all of each resort in a day.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can't get lost at La Thulie, it all goes the same way from the top. Look out for the slowest ever chair lift which the second from the left as you look up, don't get on it!

If you're there for a week maybe think about a car. Cormayeur is close and you can ski all of each resort in a day.

It’s more the La Rosiere side and giving myself time to get back - I’ve read the drag lift is sloooooooow - but I’ll probably hit in one morning then make my way back after lunch. Mostly plan on doing drills but want to see the sights etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whole day lesson on the first day. Get to know the mountain, get some tips. Your legs will be the freshest on the first day. See how you get on, but depending on what you want to do get a guided group for the next few days and get some miles under your skis.

I’ve made the biggest improvements in technique when skiing with guides / instructors. Next best thing is skiing with friends who are loads better. How’s your fitness? Bit late to do anything at this point, but some general stretching might help in the preceding days.

Have a great time!

Been in the gym rats thread since time immemorial. Flexible. Fairly fit! I only had the usual first week lessons a few years ago but on my own I’ve got a bit of carving going on and last year I felt what separation and the sensation of floating through turns should feel like (on easy terrain anyway). Every trip my legs get hammered less as the skis do more of the work.

Can ski a groomed black run with neither style or grace so goal this time is to get better at the first bit (goal is hip to snow) and not have as much technique breakdown on steeper terrain. Cheers!

Soldato
Was a good one! Empty pistes (and town), loads of snow, skied to France and back (Italian side way better) - and blessed with largely good weather other than the last day when visibility was non-existent and the wind vicious. View from the top of Mont Blanc wasn’t half bad. Food was basically unreal every day, although eating alone in the evenings wasn’t the most fun I’ve ever had. Lady at the B&B was legendary as per her Trip Advisor reviews, booked me tables at places with a couple of them giving me a discount just because I was staying at her B&B. Had the odd bombardino / calimero in between skiing a bit better than when I arrived. Definitely need to ski more Italian resorts going forward.

Soldato
Yes one gondola then mostly chairlifts of varying speed and quality and a couple of (mostly) avoidable drag/buttons. Budgetary constraints meant lunch was always a protein bar and fruit taken from the breakfast buffet but whenever I got a coffee (¢1 for an espresso!)/hot chocolate the lunches the huts were serving looked/smelt miles better than anything I’ve seen elsewhere. Met a surprising amount of Americans too - cheaper to fly to Europe and ski than pay the obnoxious prices for lift passes in their own backyard it seems.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I was about to start a Ski thread in the travel forum but a quick search led me here.

After a successful family trip this year to Les Gets we've booked flights into Geneva for next February, we miss English half term but have an overlap of 2 French zone holiday dates :rolleyes: we clipped UK half term this year by 2 days and they were chaos so the wife's request this year is a out of the way resort with no Brits within 2 hrs of Geneva, any recommendations for resorts?

Soldato
I was about to start a Ski thread in the travel forum but a quick search led me here.

After a successful family trip this year to Les Gets we've booked flights into Geneva for next February, we miss English half term but have an overlap of 2 French zone holiday dates :rolleyes: we clipped UK half term this year by 2 days and they were chaos so the wife's request this year is a out of the way resort with no Brits within 2 hrs of Geneva, any recommendations for resorts?
I like Samoens which is part of the Grand Massif which is a great ski area.

Samoens itself is a small, quiet and very French village - https://www.grand-massif.com/en/your-destination/summer-resort/samoens/

Associate
As a former Resort Manager for Inghams I want to offer myself here for any skiing related questions specifically around French resorts. I worked the last 4 Winters (Les Arcs, Val D'Isere and 2x Val Thorens) with a year gap in the middle due to Covid and feel I know the industry and brands etc very well.

Will be odd going next year as a guest rather than staff!

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I like Samoens which is part of the Grand Massif which is a great ski area.

Samoens itself is a small, quiet and very French village - https://www.grand-massif.com/en/your-destination/summer-resort/samoens/

@McGray We stayed in Taninges this year and drove into Les Gets each day, we were between Sameons and Les Gets but Les Gets got recommended for the wife and kids as beginners.

@AlexTrickle our current shortlist is Les Arcs, Val-Cennis, La Plagne, Grenoble would have been easier but couldn't get flights to suit but its only an extra 60-70 minutes on top of Chamonix et al area and we'll be hiring a car so no big deal.

Associate
@McGray We stayed in Taninges this year and drove into Les Gets each day, we were between Sameons and Les Gets but Les Gets got recommended for the wife and kids as beginners.

@AlexTrickle our current shortlist is Les Arcs, Val-Cennis, La Plagne, Grenoble would have been easier but couldn't get flights to suit but its only an extra 60-70 minutes on top of Chamonix et al area and we'll be hiring a car so no big deal.

I personally think, having done a season there, Les Arcs is one of the most underrated resorts piste wise. It has an incredible variety of good high level pistes to gorgeous, wide and gentle tree runs (especially down to Peisey). If you're hiring a car you can also easily make it down to Bourg St Maurice at the bottom of the mountain. This is great if you are self-catering or just for general snacks and provisions. The big Super-U supermarket in Bourg is regular priced and not 'mountain price' so you can easily save a lot of money on food/drink doing this.

Les Arcs and La Plagne are linked together in the Paradiski pass. I would say that its not as quick/easy to get from one to the other as say Val D'isere to Tignes or VT to Meribel. Its a full day ski day to go from one to the other and not really feasible if you have beginners or kids skiing slowly. This is something I would always tell my guests who were debated either just a Les Arcs pass or the Paradiski pass. That said if everyone in your group is quick/competent then Paradiski pass is worth it even if you only go over say 2 days in the week.

If you have kids/beginners I would recommend La Plagne over Les Arcs as there are more easy access beginner/low-intermediate slopes. It is generally considered, and for good reason, one of the most family friendly resorts. (This is also the reason I wouldn't recommend it for a group of 18 year old lads as its not exactly a party vibe there!)

If all intermediate skiiers and above (confident on reds and above) Les Arcs has a wider range of pistes and more challenging steeps/blacks and as aforementioned some great tree runs in the lower areas.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I personally think, having done a season there, Les Arcs is one of the most underrated resorts piste wise. It has an incredible variety of good high level pistes to gorgeous, wide and gentle tree runs (especially down to Peisey). If you're hiring a car you can also easily make it down to Bourg St Maurice at the bottom of the mountain. This is great if you are self-catering or just for general snacks and provisions. The big Super-U supermarket in Bourg is regular priced and not 'mountain price' so you can easily save a lot of money on food/drink doing this.

Les Arcs and La Plagne are linked together in the Paradiski pass. I would say that its not as quick/easy to get from one to the other as say Val D'isere to Tignes or VT to Meribel. Its a full day ski day to go from one to the other and not really feasible if you have beginners or kids skiing slowly. This is something I would always tell my guests who were debated either just a Les Arcs pass or the Paradiski pass. That said if everyone in your group is quick/competent then Paradiski pass is worth it even if you only go over say 2 days in the week.

If you have kids/beginners I would recommend La Plagne over Les Arcs as there are more easy access beginner/low-intermediate slopes. It is generally considered, and for good reason, one of the most family friendly resorts. (This is also the reason I wouldn't recommend it for a group of 18 year old lads as its not exactly a party vibe there!)

If all intermediate skiiers and above (confident on reds and above) Les Arcs has a wider range of pistes and more challenging steeps/blacks and as aforementioned some great tree runs in the lower areas.
Great stuff appreciate your info @AlexTrickle, Le Plagne seems to be more suited to us at the moment, just had a look at pass prices and they seem really good obviously based on this years prices currently, the Paradiski seems great value for money over just the La Plagne pass but I'm not sure if we'd get value out of it, seems like more than enough at La Plagne for 6 days skiing.

What's the make up of tourists at La Plagne like? We arrive the last weekend of English half term and also hit the two largest French school zones?
Les Arcs is mile from Geneva.
:D The northern one is a little over 2hrs there's one on the south coast as well.

Associate
Les Arcs is mile from Geneva.
As someone who worked in the industry I think honestly transfer time from the airport should be your lowest consideration. I do understand babies/young kids can make it more important. It's also more important if you're just going for a long weekend as well but for your regular week long trip I think resort itself is far more important than journey time. The northern alps resorts closer for transfers, are to be honest just not the same caliber in terms of size, lift infrastructure and piste quality as the resorts in the Tarentaise Valley (3valleys, Paradiski, La Rosiere, Val D and Tignes) or the Southern Alps (Alpe D'Huez, Les 2 Arcs). Notable exception for Morzine/Avoriaz as being the standout northern ski area. People talk a lot about Chamonix too. The truth with Chamonix though is its more of an offpiste resort. Yes ofc it has pistes but fewer and less variation than the resorts I mention above. Chamonix is fantastic if you're a high level skiier, confident offpiste and have good fresh snow. Otherwise it is distinctly mid tier. Not to mention you need to use the bus to get around some of the areas.

Even the shortest transfer resorts can be subject to huge traffic delays on the wrong weekend e.g. if the French decide to protest which they like to do often!

Last edited:
Associate
Great stuff appreciate your info @AlexTrickle, Le Plagne seems to be more suited to us at the moment, just had a look at pass prices and they seem really good obviously based on this years prices currently, the Paradiski seems great value for money over just the La Plagne pass but I'm not sure if we'd get value out of it, seems like more than enough at La Plagne for 6 days skiing.

What's the make up of tourists at La Plagne like? We arrive the last weekend of English half term and also hit the two largest French school zones?
It may change (pass compositions change slightly every year) but you used to be able to buy a single day Paradiski upgrade if you only had a local pass. Don't quote me on this but that was possible when I worked there back in 18/19 and last Winter Val Thorens did something similar for a single day 3valleys upgrade.

Regarding make up of tourists in La Plagne: it is a heavy English contingent and all big tour operators work there because its so popular with Brits and especially families. There will be a lot of children in February at any point (French half term is the whole month as they are staggered by regions).

If you're not bound by school holidays I always recommend last 2 weeks of January and first 2 weeks of March. They are the best overall for price, good snow conditions and generally a lot less busy.

Don
OP
As someone who worked in the industry I think honestly transfer time from the airport should be your lowest consideration. I do understand babies/young kids can make it more important. It's also more important if you're just going for a long weekend as well but for your regular week long trip I think resort itself is far more important than journey time. The northern alps resorts closer for transfers, are to be honest just not the same caliber in terms of size, lift infrastructure and piste quality as the resorts in the Tarentaise Valley (3valleys, Paradiski, La Rosiere, Val D and Tignes) or the Southern Alps (Alpe D'Huez, Les 2 Arcs). Notable exception for Morzine/Avoriaz as being the standout northern ski area. People talk a lot about Chamonix too. The truth with Chamonix though is its more of an offpiste resort. Yes ofc it has pistes but fewer and less variation than the resorts I mention above. Chamonix is fantastic if you're a high level skiier, confident offpiste and have good fresh snow. Otherwise it is distinctly mid tier. Not to mention you need to use the bus to get around some of the areas.

Even the shortest transfer resorts can be subject to huge traffic delays on the wrong weekend e.g. if the French decide to protest which they like to do often!
Yeah, in reality, if it's one hour or 4 hours, you're not likely to be skiing on your day of arrival on a package holiday. I spent 6 days in Les Arcs/La Plagne and would happily go back again.

Just going to rub it in, after the 6+ feet in one weekend at Lake Tahoe, I'm off to Breckenridge on Monday for another couple of weeks, with a few days at Copper, Keystone and A-Basin.

Back
Top Bottom