Solar panel production figures

Man of Honour
I have 4 x 9.5kWh (38kWh total) Givenergy batteries.
I do get some generation in Winter, not as much as I'd like due to the direction/position of the panels, so it's supplemented currently by Intelligent Go.
Usually the excess generation in the good months will more than cover the poor months.

That's a fantastic set up. Love it!

Is that purely for home or do you run a business too?

Even now from April I'm now earning more than I spend - so with you I guess you must get enough credit that it pays for any gas that you use? My D/D is £140 per month and I'm still in positive balance.

Associate
That's a fantastic set up. Love it!

Is that purely for home or do you run a business too?

Even now from April I'm now earning more than I spend - so with you I guess you must get enough credit that it pays for any gas that you use? My D/D is £140 per month and I'm still in positive balance.
Thanks, purely for home use - yes, it covers gas easily as I'm on Octopus tracker for that.
I'm on a variable direct debit so currently no charges, and credit building up.
Just in the process of deciding on a heat pump or not, survey done but just looking at the figures.

Associate
Which heat pump are you looking at?
This is where the problem lies - survey completed with Octopus and heat loss suggests the 9kW Daikin.
If you're familiar with any of the discussions on forums, this particular one isn't favourable. I'm trying to pursue the 8kW version as the cost of running the 9kW is significantly more on background (900W versus around 280W per hour base load).
Apparently the 9kW version has a lot of parts associated with a 16kW ( but can't perform as one) and therefore in milder weather isn't particularly efficient.
I've also had them back out to redo the survey as I picked up a number of things that were wrong and wasn't happy with - the second surveyor agreed.

Associate
This is where the problem lies - survey completed with Octopus and heat loss suggests the 9kW Daikin.
If you're familiar with any of the discussions on forums, this particular one isn't favourable. I'm trying to pursue the 8kW version as the cost of running the 9kW is significantly more on background (900W versus around 280W per hour base load).
Apparently the 9kW version has a lot of parts associated with a 16kW ( but can't perform as one) and therefore in milder weather isn't particularly efficient.
I've also had them back out to redo the survey as I picked up a number of things that were wrong and wasn't happy with - the second surveyor agreed.
Great info thanks, heat pump is possibly our next step as well. Octopus are supposedly bring out a Cosy 8 or 9 some time?

Associate
@94JDH Did you get a Heatgeeks survey?

I'll be looking more into ASHP next year, need to get more solar installed first.

PS Valiant seemed to be the preferred heat pump at the moment, have you considered them, and weather compensation seems a must.
I've looked at the costs with them and considerably more (3.2k versus 7.8k) but considering the survey as that's refundable ( would be a good comparison and hopefully evidence to support an 8kW pump).
Also looking at more panels myself :D, wall on the side of the house could accommodate around 6 more I think.........:cry:

Great info thanks, heat pump is possibly our next step as well. Octopus are supposedly bring out a Cosy 8 or 9 some time?
They are, but concentrating on the smaller ones first so not sure when those versions will be available.

Associate
We hit a new record yesterday too, 61.7 kWh. 45.3 kWh exported. Our peak generation is down quite a bit too though, the warm weather and hazy clouds are costing us a bit I think!

Also our battery decided to randomly delete a third of its SoC overnight, so that was nice! Can't see any reason why though :p

We're looking heat pumps as our next change too. We really want air con in a few rooms though, so debating how much we'll also use that for heating.

Associate
We hit a new record yesterday too, 61.7 kWh. 45.3 kWh exported. Our peak generation is down quite a bit too though, the warm weather and hazy clouds are costing us a bit I think!

Also our battery decided to randomly delete a third of its SoC overnight, so that was nice! Can't see any reason why though :p

We're looking heat pumps as our next change too. We really want air con in a few rooms though, so debating how much we'll also use that for heating.
We have air con in three rooms which we use to supplement the gas heating in winter. Its allowed us to get our annual gas usage below 7000kWh so its definitely worth it, especially with a larger array. There's the added bonus that the day export rate is 9p cheaper than the import rate, so every unit we're using is essentially saving money.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thanks, purely for home use - yes, it covers gas easily as I'm on Octopus tracker for that.
I'm on a variable direct debit so currently no charges, and credit building up.
Just in the process of deciding on a heat pump or not, survey done but just looking at the figures.

When we get round to doing our extension, our ground floor will be entirely heated by underfloor heating, and I'll have a heatpump dedicated for that. I'll still have gas for the upstairs / bedrooms, but our usage should reduce significantly.

It's always a debate though - new house or massive extension?! :D

I find warm weather comfortable so we have no need for AC for cooling (our house has a nice breeze if you open the windows) but it's kinda tempting to get some for the dehumidifying capability, but we have a dehumidifier already so not really necessary.

Soldato
I’ve had my Octopus installed 6kw daikin for about a month now.

The energy use difference is stark - my 20 year old boiler must have been well off it’s rated efficiency.

I’ll write up my install when I get round to it, perhaps over the weekend.

One thing to consider this that not all heat pump installations are equal. You’ll probably get a better quality install and service off an independent heat geek than you will from Octopus which is more akin to a big box installer.

Octopus will target a lower SCOP which is ‘good enough’ to compare to gas and come in at a cheaper price. Heat geek will try to maximise the SCOP at a higher price.

My Octopus install was £3k and was a few £k cheaper than the next best quote (local non-heat geek).

I’m under no illusion that the heat geek would get me a better SCOP but once I’d factored in time of use tariffs, solar and battery storage which dramatically lowers my electricity bills, I just couldn’t make the math work so I went with Octopus and the more entry level install.

For example, I heat my hot water up overnight at 7.5p, increasing the COP from say 3.5 to 4, you are talking about 2.14p/kwh vs 1.875p/kwh of heat.

If you have a higher heating demand, I’d suggest targeting a higher SCOP as you’ll make it back on the running costs. If you have a lower heating demand like us then it probably will not work on the man maths.

Soldato
OP
I've looked at the costs with them and considerably more (3.2k versus 7.8k)

I'm guessing you got online estimate, ours (5 bed 70's detached) was £14k after the BUS grant :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure that's well OTT though. We've got two local Heatgeeks luckily so when the time comes I'll see what they come up with, and also Octopus/BG.

Soldato
That’s A LOT. I appreciate a 5 bed detached isn’t the smallest of houses but neither mine (4 bed detached).

Your heat loss will be higher than mine as it’s older but it’s not proportional to the amount of work you need to do. They still needed to swap most of our rads.

Were they quoting for a substantial re-pipe?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's based on assumptions and the EPC, you can go to the Heatgeeks website, enter your postcode and house number and it will give an estimate, so at best it's a very vague estimate based on limited information. Really it needs a proper survey to get an accurate price.

Our gas bill is well under half of what they suggested it was.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's based on assumptions and the EPC, you can go to the Heatgeeks website, enter your postcode and house number and it will give an estimate, so at best it's a very vague estimate based on limited information. Really it needs a proper survey to get an accurate price.

Our gas bill is well under half of what they suggested it was.
That’s the same approach as octopus take for their quotes. My bill wasn’t that far off but as mentioned before, my gas boiler must have been chundering through the gas base on what my heat pump is now doing.

You are right it does need a proper survey to measure the heat loss. Octopus should stand by their initial price, even if it turns out to need more work than expected.

Just out of interest, I put my property back into the heat geek website and it’s coming out at £6k after the grant. I’m pretty sure it was more than that previously (my EPC for re-done as part of this install).

Interestingly, the heat geek guarantee for my house is only 350%.

Associate
That’s the same approach as octopus take for their quotes. My bill wasn’t that far off but as mentioned before, my gas boiler must have been chundering through the gas base on what my heat pump is now doing.

You are right it does need a proper survey to measure the heat loss. Octopus should stand by their initial price, even if it turns out to need more work than expected.

Just out of interest, I put my property back into the heat geek website and it’s coming out at £6k after the grant. I’m pretty sure it was more than that previously (my EPC for re-done as part of this install).

Interestingly, the heat geek guarantee for my house is only 350%.
I recently entered my house again on the Octopus site with a different email address - price has more than doubled!

Associate

Hi I am looking at a heat pump with Octopus, what question should I be asking them?

One company suggested a Mitsubishi 11kW Heat pump, I waiting for Octopus to do a survey.

Back
Top Bottom