Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Man of Honour
Thanks tamzzy.

I'll have that then.
What about the price is it about right?
i'm using my own quote as comparison
£6885 + 1450 (as i bought second battery separately) = £8335 for 10x 440w Jinko panels, 3.6kw Sunsynk inverter, 9.2kwh Sunsynk battery (2x 5.12kwh 90% dod)
less the £500 for scaffolding...my system cost £7835

so, for your 8x435w panels, 5kw inverter and 9.5kwh battery
£7700 is priced very competitively
installers normally charge £150-200 per panel - their cost price is £80-100 but paying for the labour costs etc
(that being said, I'm not sure about the quality of JA panels...so do your research)

Associate
Why have they quoted for optimisers if you don’t have issues with shading?

What ever you do with on batteries, the key things to look out for is:

Max charge/discharge rates - this may we’ll be lower than the inverter power and varies by battery model, even from the same manufacturer.

Depth of discharge - this is how much of the battery is usable. Some market their battery as the usable capacity or 100% DoD, others market the gross capacity which and an 80% depth of discharge. As above, it’s not necessarily even consistent from the same brand, check each quote carefully.
There is shading on both roof faces from local trees. It sounds as it is a good ask to have these internally mounted to assist in maintenance should one fail.

Associate
Inverters are more efficient closer to capacity than running at a low % level.
Its partly one of the reasons people overpanel as it means the inverter will be running in the more efficient part of its curve more often.
Thanks so much.

So all good with the 3.6.

Anyone else comment on the price. Sorry to ask but this really is a big investment for me and need to get it right.

Soldato
He'd be better off ditching the givenergy inverter for a brand that can output the 5kw's imo

A 3.6kw inverter in the home is brainless imo, turn some high draw appliances on and no matter what the solar or battery's are doing you will be drawing from the grid what's the point in that?

Boil your kettle while sticking some toast on that's 4kw alone

Soldato
He'd be better off ditching the givenergy inverter for a brand that can output the 5kw's imo

A 3.6kw inverter in the home is brainless imo, turn some high draw appliances on and no matter what the solar or battery's are doing you will be drawing from the grid what's the point in that?

Boil your kettle while sticking some toast on that's 4kw alone
Depends on what the cost benefit is ultimately. While your argument is correct, those appliances are running for 2 mins tops to the grid in terms of KWH is very small.

I went with the all on one but I wanted the extra charge/discharge because I’ve got an 10kwp (east/west) array and a heat pump going in.

Once you knock off the draw from the heat pump and your base load, you’ve not got a lot left from 3.5kw and 5kw is marginal.

Agree with mr sk8 here.
when I look at my time above 3.6kwh on my inverter its actually quite rare that I spend much time above that.

Most high draw appliances, dishwashers, ovens, washing machines only do little spurts of high draw.
Even things like tumble driers spend a lot less time using peak than you think.
Unless you literally stick them all on at the same time so they all need to heat at the same time then your not going to see many peaks of any sustained time over 3.6

Its a balance for sure.

The one thing I would consider is the amount you want to risk on saving sessions (demand reduction).
My 5.5 has meant I have roughly double the amount that hippo has made this year vs his 3.6
I mean its a gamble, last year was a different methodology and we were far closer. This year with export being the key I have far better benefit made.
We have similar systems in regards what we generate, what we use daily etc.

Man of Honour
i don't think i've ever gone over 3.6kw peak in the last ~2 months i've had my pv system...but i have to admit i've changed my use behavious as a result of having the pv system, and now i stagger my high power appliances to stop the spikes

Associate
i don't think i've ever gone over 3.6kw peak in the last ~2 months i've had my pv system...but i have to admit i've changed my use behavious as a result of having the pv system, and now i stagger my high power appliances to stop the spikes
Since having the intelligent octopus tariff we load shift all dishwashing, washing machine use to the cheaper overnight also.
Anyone else comment on the price please.

Hate to tell him yes and then find out it's too expensive.
I think it's pretty good but no expert.
I've had national company quote £8400.
Should I keep asking for more quotes.

Man of Honour
Anyone else comment on the price please.

Hate to tell him yes and then find out it's too expensive.
it isn't expensive, and probably cheaper than average
my installers were a company called Spectra Solar up in Wigan, but they do installations in the Midlands too (I live in Brum)
get a quote off them if you want to compare
i can fully recommend Spectra, if you do decide to go with them as well :)

Associate
it isn't expensive, and probably cheaper than average
my installers were a company called Spectra Solar up in Wigan, but they do installations in the Midlands too (I live in Brum)
get a quote off them if you want to compare
i can fully recommend Spectra, if you do decide to go with them as well :)
Thanks Tamzy and everyone else for helping me very much appreciated.
I'll look Spectra up. Awesome name us oldies would know

Man of Honour
I'll look Spectra up.

i'll just requote my post:

@Ace Modder company called Spectra Solar
They're based in Wigan but fit all over the country (I live in Brum)
Top class service and can totally recommend, no salesmen, no pitches, no nagging phone calls as well

They're coming back in a few weeks to fit another Sunsynk L5.1 Battery for me all for £1450 fitted

Soldato
Anybody considering a Tesla system should verify whether its a Powerwall 2 or 3, seems to be a lot of changes in the Powerwall 3, bigger inverter 11.5kW, 6 built in MPPT's, that six PV strings up tp a max of 20kW of panels. The liquid cooling/heating seems to have gone though.

Being all combined it will certainly make for a very tidy install, albeit I'm sure expensive.

Back
Top Bottom