Hi lads,

Looking at 2 ssd but unsure as to which is better

Crucial 64GB 2.5" M225 SATAII Solid State Drive Mfr#: CT64M225 about €160
Or
Intel 80GB X25-M SATAII 2.5" MLC Mfr#: SSDSA2MH080G2R5 about €190

Now price is close so thats not an issue

Associate
OP
If anyone wants to update the info in 1st post feel free, as there's loads of new drives and controllers out. I haven't been following SSD's since i made this guide, so i have only updated some of the information, some information may be incorrect such as raid capability of newer controllers, but overall it is mainly correct.

The best 60-80GB SSD's to get now are the Sandforce F-100 controller-based drives, ocuk's cheapest is the OCZ Vertex 2E which is £150.

EDIT: please can a Moderator delete posts, 6, 25-28,31,34,35,45,46,48 as they are no longer relevant and will confuse new readers due to better drives now being available and drives they are talking about are no longer in post 1, thanks. Once done please edit this request out of this post so that other moderators don't delete new posts.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey,
Just have a quick question. I have received my Intel X25-V 40GB SSD and Im planning to install my Windows 7 onto it. Was just wondering what are the first steps I must take to install this, does it require an update before I install windows or can I just 'Plug & Play'
Bear in mind that this is a new system build that Im working on at the minute, all the parts are brand new

Thanks Hope someone can help
Tomm

Man of Honour
Hey,
Just have a quick question. I have received my Intel X25-V 40GB SSD and Im planning to install my Windows 7 onto it. Was just wondering what are the first steps I must take to install this, does it require an update before I install windows or can I just 'Plug & Play'
Bear in mind that this is a new system build that Im working on at the minute, all the parts are brand new

Thanks Hope someone can help
Tomm

Plug and play mainly, but you change it to AHCI in BIOS before you install

By the way, props to the OP - very useful thread.

Associate
ive just had 2x OCZ Vertex 30GB and put them in raid 0.
now im reading that raid 0 wont allow trim command but when i run fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify it returns 0, and if i understand correctly means that trim in enabled.

is this right ?

ga-x48-ds5 mobo

Associate
brilliant thread.

quick question....

i'm looking for a cheap ssd. sub 100quid. although if there's something a tenner more which is a lot better i would get it. Any suggestions?

Associate
OP
recomended drives are at the end of the original post.

MODERATORS: please can you delete posts, 6, 25-28,31,34,35,45,46,48 as they are no longer relevant and will confuse new readers due to better drives now being available and drives they are talking about are no longer in post 1.

Thanks.

Man of Honour
A quick heads on up how to increase SSD drive performance, for those that have had them for a while.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...-A-simple-guide-for-speeding-up-EOL-OCZ-SSD-s

I just followed the guide and it has improved my OCZ Summit (which has TRIM) speeds a touch. It took about 30mins to consolidate the space and 10-15mins to write over the free space.

image1iu.jpg
image2urz.jpg

Back
Top Bottom