• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SOLVED: Ugh - 4080S Issues - Black Screen after BIOS Splash, OS running.

Soldato
OP
Surely updating the firmware provided by nvidia doesn't void any warranty? It could also be drivers have you tried installing the 4080S drivers with your old card plugged in then swapping over?
Mate I can’t even do a fresh install of an OS to a new nvme from a USB stick via GPU. I attempted that to rule out my windows install and drivers. It seems more fundamental.

I could ask the vendor what they think about the firmware but it seems risky to me. It just seems like way more than I should be expected to do for a brand new card and I don’t want an RMA refused because I bricked the card.

I could try once more with drivers from iGPU but I’m sick of it now tbh.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Drivers is worth a shot via the iGPU imo, shouldn't take too long. I know how annoying it is though I've had issues in the past :(
Problem is if that works and I need to reinstall I have to go through a merry dance via iGPU again to install. I’ll maybe try when I finish work. Appreciate your comments though, thanks :)

Soldato
OP
What GPU did you get in the end? :( Hopefully not a Gainward, Gigabyte or Palit!
MSI 4080 Super Gaming X Slim. Seems well built and the support bracket is really good.

Shame about the issues. Both my other MSI cards work fine on this board.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Think you've been unlucky with this particular card and got a lemon. Hopefully the replacement works as intended.
Hold fire - I think I might have it working.... more to follow! :o

dmgr.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That's good news! Post back, I'm well curious and hoping you've cracked it!
Right,

Basically I was preparing to have another go, rebooted to Safe mode for DDU and noticed that the display on the GTX1060 I swapped in was glitching a bit, then the entire thing dropped out. Then I found that I couldn't use my iGPU anymore either despite deliberately having the dual display setting enabled as I planned to go into Windows to see if the 4080S was detected. Anyways - black screen issues(!) Tried a boot USB and nada. After several cycles of GPUs and finding none of them working properly anymore, I assumed the motherboard was kaput or something was loose. I honestly thought my PC was busted for good - at one point it wasn't even POSTing.

I pulled absolutely everything out bar the CPU and re-seated it. POSTing but no display. Then I did a full CMOS reset pulling power cord, pulling the battery, holding power button for 10 seconds, shorting the reset pins etc. Finally got it to POST properly and show display again on my old GTX970. I did a restore optimal defaults and didn't restore a single one of the previous settings. Booted OK (seems CSM must be default). Then I put the 4080S in and I had display so did the uninstall and install new drivers.

I thought perhaps XMP profile was an issue with the 4080S but I've just set that back as it was and other stuff seems much the same as before. I'll have to go through it all and see if it was some creeping death setting I've overlooked or a ghost in the machine that was exorcised with the rejigging and purging.

When in doubt, start from scratch, I suppose. Just ran a quick bench and it seems OK but I'll do more tomorrow. The main issue I now have is that my AIO loop is sitting on top of the power adapter due to the case panel, I think I'm going to have to find something to use as an insulating spacer to avoid heat transfer.

Thanks a million for all your input everyone... fingers crossed :)

EDIT: I keep typing 3080, for some reason my brain won't register that I have a 4080!

EDIT2: The oddness has freaked me out a bit so I'll probably get a new CPU/Mobo/RAM reasonably soon. 90 Degree adapter for the 12VHPWR thing might be an idea too - hopefully won't melt on a 4080S!

EDIT3: Installing the bracket on this card (MSI Gaming X Slim), it's good to have the case on its side and get some electrical tape to hold the blanking plates in place so you can get the screws in without the plates falling in towards the motherboard. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Right,

Basically I was preparing to have another go, rebooted to Safe mode for DDU and noticed that the display on the GTX1060 I swapped in was glitching a bit, then the entire thing dropped out. Then I found that I couldn't use my iGPU anymore either despite deliberately having the dual display setting enabled as I planned to go into Windows to see if the 4080S was detected. Anyways - black screen issues(!) Tried a boot USB and nada. After several cycles of GPUs and finding none of them working properly anymore, I assumed the motherboard was kaput or something was loose. I honestly thought my PC was busted for good - at one point it wasn't even POSTing.

I pulled absolutely everything out bar the CPU and re-seated it. POSTing but no display. Then I did a full CMOS reset pulling power cord, pulling the battery, holding power button for 10 seconds, shorting the reset pins etc. Finally got it to POST properly and show display again on my old GTX970. I did a restore optimal defaults and didn't restore a single one of the previous settings. Booted OK (seems CSM must be default). Then I put the 4080S in and I had display so did the uninstall and install new drivers.

I thought perhaps XMP profile was an issue with the 4080S but I've just set that back as it was and other stuff seems much the same as before. I'll have to go through it all and see if it was some creeping death setting I've overlooked or a ghost in the machine that was exorcised with the rejigging and purging.

When in doubt, start from scratch, I suppose. Just ran a quick bench and it seems OK but I'll do more tomorrow. The main issue I now have is that my AIO loop is sitting on top of the power adapter due to the case panel, I think I'm going to have to find something to use as an insulating spacer to avoid heat transfer.

Thanks a million for all your input everyone... fingers crossed :)

EDIT: I keep typing 3080, for some reason my brain won't register that I have a 4080!

EDIT2: The oddness has freaked me out a bit so I'll probably get a new CPU/Mobo/RAM reasonably soon. 90 Degree adapter for the 12VHPWR thing might be an idea too - hopefully won't melt on a 4080S!

EDIT3: Installing the bracket on this card (MSI Gaming X Slim), it's good to have the case on its side and get some electrical tape to hold the blanking plates in place so you can get the screws in without the plates falling in towards the motherboard. :)
Proper pleased for you man, I think it'll be fine and that your theory of some setting the card didn't like being wiped out with the starting from scratch is spot on

Associate
Good to hear that your perseverance paid although a little dissapointing (probably) that it seems pretty clear that you need to upgrade m-board,cpu etc.

Just goes to show that it is best to ignore opinions expressed by people like me !!:o

Keep us informed.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Good to hear that your perseverance paid although a little dissapointing (probably) that it seems pretty clear that you need to upgrade m-board,cpu etc.

Just goes to show that it is best to ignore opinions expressed by people like me !!:o

Keep us informed.
Nah I really appreciate any ideas when I'm knee deep in the doo-doo :)

I tend to get better at fixing things the more angry I get. :D

Soldato
OP
Proper pleased for you man, I think it'll be fine and that your theory of some setting the card didn't like being wiped out with the starting from scratch is spot on
Thanks mate, although that glitching with the 970 and 1060 I had makes me think the mobo might be on its way out. Never seen that before. Next payday I’ll get started on a new home and monitor for the GPU.

May as well finish the job. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks mate, although that glitching with the 970 and 1060 I had makes me think the mobo might be on its way out. Never seen that before. Next payday I’ll get started on a new home and monitor for the GPU.

May as well finish the job. :)
You'll have a fantastic system soon then. Having the new graphics card already you'll be able to see first hand what upgrading the platform does.

I think you'll be pleased with the results.

Soldato
OP
I wonder if it was maybe a bios setting like pci-3 was enabled instead of pci-e gen 4. :p
This board doesn’t do PCIe 4, 3 max. That was something I looked into. Usually that’s a problem with people using PCIe3 risers and having 4 (or auto) set ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom