Son wants me to play Minecraft with him

Associate
Hi

My son wants to play Minecraft with him, He is on Xbox, I can use Xbox or PC, Do I need to get gamepass (as he has) or can I just buy the game on its own? Is it easy to join each others game? (I've never played it) also are there any videos you can link me to learn the basics?

Anything else I should know?

Cheers

Associate
Not played a while but I used to use the same account on my xbox and PC, just download Minecraft from the Windows store, I think it just needs the same account logging into both console and Windows version and you can try that it may work

Soldato
Hi

My son wants to play Minecraft with him, He is on Xbox, I can use Xbox or PC, Do I need to get gamepass (as he has) or can I just buy the game on its own? Is it easy to join each others game? (I've never played it) also are there any videos you can link me to learn the basics?

Anything else I should know?

Cheers
You can just get the game. It'll let you join other games in the same local network.

You don't even need to log in with a profile.

Soldato
first o Congradulations :)
im not sure what the mod communitys like on xbox, when i last checked in around 8yrs ago they were doing some goo stuff but still limited

as a completley differing suggestion have you considered both using PC's?
i ask only becuase at some point i expect he may want to mod the game and thats easier to do on pc.

to be clear there are 2 versions of Minecraft
1) java version
2) Minecraft Bedrock Edition

as i understand it you DONT want the Java version as its not crossplay

i believe you would need to use the "Realms" to join game a game togeather for bedrock edition (but not 100% sure sorry).

best way to learn is watching a series.

some videos :
this one seems a good overview

are xbox specific
&

there iss only one rule in minecrafter :
DONT Dig straight DOWN
thats it :D

my girl enjoyed this creater:
but that was some time agon.

try and learn some "red stone"

are you a creative type?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi,

Slight thread bump but I am now in a similar position.

Sorry if I am being really thick here, but where the the cheapest and best place to buy Minecraft, I cannot see it on steam? Can you only buy it on the microsoft store, really £30????

I was hoping I could get it for a tenner or something.

Soldato
well its microsoft owned now so yer.
you need to decided if you want the java version or bedrock.
that 30 includes both versions.
some of the key sits have it for 15
xbox gamepass is also an option

its never been on steam as best i know

Last edited:
Associate
So if you've already got game pass you can add your son as a secondary account

In my house The series X is his and I have pc, I added him to mine and he has full access to gamepass same as me.

Regarding Minecraft, when download from gamepass on pc it downloads both versions java and bedrock, you choose which one you would like to play. Bedrock is the only cross play version, and you can use a controller on bedrock, java is keyboard and mouse only.

Unfortunately for me I've not quite worked out how to connect to a game he's in.

That said you can play split screen on the Xbox, I don't find this too bad, but the Xbox is in the lounge in our house and my pc is in my office. So playing split screen in the lounge means we can be close when playing it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was in a similar boat recently and just bought the Java & Bedrock Edition PC for £15.49 from cdkeys.com https://www.cdkeys.com/#q=minecraft

It was a right pain to install and get running though, the Xbox app sucks majorly when you are used to Steam just working.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry watching my 4090 hit 175 FPS at 10% core and 5% memory utilisation and 74W power. I actually don't think it's using it as the 13700k is drawing more power at 95W.

Soldato
I was in a similar boat recently and just bought the Java & Bedrock Edition PC for £15.49 from cdkeys.com https://www.cdkeys.com/#q=minecraft

It was a right pain to install and get running though, the Xbox app sucks majorly when you are used to Steam just working.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry watching my 4090 hit 175 FPS at 10% core and 5% memory utilisation and 74W power. I actually don't think it's using it as the 13700k is drawing more power at 95W.

Hi,

Thanks for this reply.

Yes after some digging last night I did find this on CD keys for £15 both bedrock and java version. I have only ever bought a game on CD keys that I activate through Steam, so how does it work with this. Do you have to install some other launcher first then register the key like steam or ??????

You have to install the xbox app on your PC?

Soldato
I'm only being a little vague as my copy was bought before MS bought out Minecraft and merged into that launcher. But that is the launcher I have and originally used a key such as what you bought.

MC.png

I never play the game and I have only just launched it now to check if it is the appropriate one. It does lead me back to the site I linked for you.

That's as positive as I can be :)

Soldato
@Vimes

Working thank you. I downloaded the minecraft installer but windows gave me an error message about not being signed it, but when I installed the minecraft launcher it also started installing the xbox app by itself.

So I clicked on the xbox app, and it wanted me to sign in, but I must have had a micrsoft account it is popped up with a username only I would have named (dont ask what is was) and it logged me in on that.

From there I was able to go to a section where you can add a game, and it wanted a 25 digit code, figured this must be what you get from CD keys and it indeed was.

They dont make these things easy, I know a lot of people in my peer group basically dont have any games at all that are not through steam, I can completely understand why.

Soldato
@BUDFORCE Welcome.

I have some recollections of it being a convoluted process, perhaps more so prior to MS taking over, believe it or not.
When MS did take over the MC business it did offer me the chance to migrate my Mojang account to my own MS one, that I did.

I wasn't sure of the process that you would need to follow with a new account, but, eventually, it seems to have worked for you.

I seem to have, not necessarily by desire, so many platforms for various games these days. Altho Playnite does reasonably well at brining them altogether. Without that I would probably forget about what games or on what platform.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I actually quite enjoy a round of Minecraft with the kids, I just play on iPad (Bedrock version) as it's a lot less fuss and once you've bought it once you can share it with the whole family.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't you play split screen on the Xbox? I play split screen on the switch with my boy. It's great in survival and creative. We've recently found a big underground cavern and are lighting it up with magma cubes and trying to make a forest grow.

Soldato
not sure how the mod scene is goin but there was a huge amount of mod madness in the java version with quest packs.
once your board of vanilia have a look at the modded scene.

Associate
Can't you play split screen on the Xbox? I play split screen on the switch with my boy. It's great in survival and creative. We've recently found a big underground cavern and are lighting it up with magma cubes and trying to make a forest grow.

Yes you can , this what me and my boy do

Back
Top Bottom