Sony Xperia 1 VI...

Soldato
Based on current leaks they are changing the software experience, instead of multiple apps for different uses, it'll all be unified: https://www.gsmarena.com/new_sony_xperia_1_vi_leak-news-62703.php

Whether it will be more simple to use or not, I guess we'll find out soon.

Really though they need to get out of the mindset that the phone will eat into their camera sales and just put their full experience into it. Pretty sure other brand phones are already doing that :p .

Last edited:
Associate
Tempted to have a look at this. Sony was on my radar last year when I moved on from a Samsung Note 10. I really like the micro SD slot - for me that's massive, having photos/videos on device rather than cloud. I ended up with Pixel 8 Pro - was sold by the camera and watch desl. Fairly happy with it but has a few glitches, the photos are heavily auto-tweaked by software/AI and the watch battery life is cack. Will keep an eye on this Sony, if the camera is as good as the Pixel 8 Pro i'll be very tempted.

Associate
I've had a few Sony phones over the years, the most recent being the Xperia 1 IV.

It was a decent device, nice size, the width particularly, good enough cameras for me, can actually take photos of my kids in motion and they'll not be blurry like with Samsung phone.

It had a few software niggles that I lived with. The notification pulldown randomly won't come down first time so I have to swipe down multiple times.
YouTube videos flash green (like when a GPU crashes and the screen goes green) occasionally, and YouTube shorts would randomly start playing the next video with the last videos overlay over it. Likely the same bug.

That said I am interested depending on the deals! Really hoping for at least 4+1 years of software support. I can't see Sony going for 7 like the others...I can't see them selling phones in 7 years tbh!

Man of Honour
YouTube videos flash green (like when a GPU crashes and the screen goes green) occasionally, and YouTube shorts would randomly start playing the next video with the last videos overlay over it. Likely the same bug.

Not sure if a Sony or YT issue - ever since they started to try and combat ad blockers YT has been a little bit glitchy.

Associate
Not sure if a Sony or YT issue - ever since they started to try and combat ad blockers YT has been a little bit glitchy.

It did it throughout my entire ownership of the 1 IV, which included an upgrade from android 13 to 14. I just lived with it as it wasn't that much of a nuisance. I definitely watched less YT shorts then though as a side effect!

A friend has a 1 IV and his does exactly the same thing with YouTube. Another issue is that it is very difficult to summon the OSD on YouTube on the 1 IV, either single tapping or double tapping to use the cue/review 10 seconds feature.

I have YouTube premium also, so ads shouldn't be an issue.

Still loved it, though!

Switched to an S24 Ultra, liked that but it was too big tbh, and developed rattly cameras so it got replaced by Samsung after two attempts at getting them to repair it (no fault found...)

Now using a Xiaomi 14 and am really enjoying it!

Associate
I still use a Sony Xperia ZX Premium from 2017, and it does great. But it is nearly time to retire it.
SD card slot is a must for me, so I'll be looking at the Xperia range again. Maybe 1 V or the new 1 VI. Anyone got other suggestions?

Associate
OP
New leak suggests Xperia 1 may be available in red.

It's probable that it's a Docomo exclusive but could be imported.

It's not purple but it's more interesting than black...

Associate
OP
Sigh, looks like another imminent expense.

I wonder if the camera is true 48mp or 12mp binned, would be genuinely impressed and surprised if Sony moved from 12.

Associate
OP
I really don't think it will - I'm expecting £1300 as per usual sadly.

That said, everyone is kicking off over the screen res it seems, does it really make that much of a difference? What's you're losing in PPI (which is possibly overkill anyway) you're gaining in brightness...

Caporegime
From a Hong Kong store via Reddit.

Listed on there for HKD 9699, so be amazed if the price was any different.

J6E8PIa.jpg

Associate
OP
All leaks have been on the money it seems, though things to note:

Red ISN'T available, just green, black and silver
Will get THREE Android version updates and FOUR years of security updates
Price is £1299 and will be available from early June

Caporegime
All leaks have been on the money it seems, though things to note:

Red ISN'T available, just green, black and silver
Will get THREE Android version updates and FOUR years of security updates
Price is £1299 and will be available from early June

Yeah red is on the Japanese site as an option - https://www.sony.jp/xperia/xperia/xperia1m6/

Along with different memory / storage configurations.

Funny there is no mention of the display resolution anywhere on the website. And £1299 is a mad price. Especially considering this a 'flag ship' phone and yet didn't fill it with flag ship features like a LYT-900 sensor instead of the LYT-800.

Soldato
Hardware finally looks sensible with a unified camera app. The 4 years support is a good improvement too, not as long as Google and Samsung but long enough for most users. But Sony does it again with the high price... I might still consider it if it gets a big discount in future.

Seen quite a few people on other places complaining about the screen resolution drop. Honestly the previous phones did most of the UI in 1080p on their 4K screens anyway, and from my own experience, it's hard to see the difference. I'm just glad they're finally using LTPO.

I like the look of the red but shame it's Japan only.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom