Sound blaster g6 upgrade

Associate
Hi all,

so I have been running my DT990 pros with the g6 for the past year and have enjoyed the experience, I now however have upgraded to the DT1990 pros with Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads and was wondering whether I would get any benefit from upgrading the G6.
Any recommendations appreciated.

should also mention I use the setup mostly for gaming and movies.

cheers

Associate
So long as you made the right purchase the biggest difference I would expect is more volume. I would expect the DT1990's are putting a bigger load on the G6's amp reducing the maximum volume.

If your looking for the same sort of surround features that the G6 has then the Creative X7 is the logical upgrade but that also has a speaker amplifier built in too so you could turn it into a hifi system if you wanted.

I've not had experience using dedicated headphone amps so can't offer any recommendations other than to head over to head-fi.org which is a dedicated headphone community and has helped me with a few portable audio purchase decisions over the years.

Soldato
No need.
Unless you want to get rid of your hearing in even shorter time.

I would expect the DT1990's are putting a bigger load on the G6's amp reducing the maximum volume.
Newer "Tesla" driver of Amiron/DT1xxx is actually more efficient and needs less power per dB than old DT770-990 serie driver.
(102 vs 96 dB @1mW)

Associate
OP
I only run in direct mode, any audio enhancements ruins it for me. Just made me think there may be something else worth trying seeing as I am not using any of the sbx profiles.
One other thing I am struggling to find an eq for these pads, I am guessing they are not as popular as other dekoni pads

Associate
I would stick with the G6 if its just for games and movies , its what i use with my DT1770 , use a ifi zen stack with HD660s for music .

Soldato
I only run in direct mode, any audio enhancements ruins it for me. Just made me think there may be something else worth trying seeing as I am not using any of the sbx profiles.
One other thing I am struggling to find an eq for these pads, I am guessing they are not as popular as other dekoni pads
Why are you using direct mode (which is primarily for music listening) if you are only gaming / movies?

Direct mode you will not get the Eq or Dolby Atmos
I'm sure direct mode affects the microphone too, either you cant use some of the options like noise reduction or at all with direct mode

Personally I have mine with Beyerdynamic DT1770 pro like this...

QfLKTji.png

ahrUPsD.png

UNxZ5pP.png

Associate
Why are you using direct mode (which is primarily for music listening) if you are only gaming / movies?

I'm sure direct mode affects the microphone too, either you cant use some of the options like noise reduction or at all with direct mode

Compared to just stereo in gaming do your settings make a significant difference for spatial audio? I have the G6 and a pair of AKG 712 Pro's so will experiment but don't have Dolby Access on the PC (do on Xbox)

Man of Honour

QfLKTji.png

ahrUPsD.png

UNxZ5pP.png

What would you say is the best setup in the G6 for listening to music?
I have experimented and I think I've got a good sound but it could be better.

Soldato
Compared to just stereo in gaming do your settings make a significant difference for spatial audio? I have the G6 and a pair of AKG 712 Pro's so will experiment but don't have Dolby Access on the PC (do on Xbox)
Dolby Atmos for games that support it. When it's off now in Warzone / Modern Warfare I notice, Atmos makes it easier to know where fire / enemies are coming from without the daft 'scout mode'

Soldato
What would you say is the best setup in the G6 for listening to music?
I have experimented and I think I've got a good sound but it could be better.
I don't do much music listening on my PC as have a Naim Muso unit in the lounge now, but I would have thought direct mode is always the way to go for music.
Unless you like bass / treble heavy instead of how it was supposed to sound when produced.

One thing I remember from years ago was my Marantz amplifier (PM something?) that I had with floor standing speakers, the music sounded so nice and warm. It was really brilliant for tracks like Pink Floyd Marooned. When I changed amps to a NAD it certainly lacked something, but at the same time the NAD was much better at quicker tracks like dance and heavy metal music. It was almost like the Marantz was geared to slow music but sounded fantastic doing so.

I would love to have a sound engineer and with electronics background explain whats going on inside amplifiers (and maybe DACs) that changes the music. Something to do with the components and heat I guess which changes the 'shape' of the music slightly. Sound and electronics people, feel free to step in!

Man of Honour
I don't do much music listening on my PC as have a Naim Muso unit in the lounge now, but I would have thought direct mode is always the way to go for music.
Unless you like bass / treble heavy instead of how it was supposed to sound when produced.

One thing I remember from years ago was my Marantz amplifier (PM something?) that I had with floor standing speakers, the music sounded so nice and warm. It was really brilliant for tracks like Pink Floyd Marooned. When I changed amps to a NAD it certainly lacked something, but at the same time the NAD was much better at quicker tracks like dance and heavy metal music. It was almost like the Marantz was geared to slow music but sounded fantastic doing so.

I would love to have a sound engineer and with electronics background explain whats going on inside amplifiers (and maybe DACs) that changes the music. Something to do with the components and heat I guess which changes the 'shape' of the music slightly. Sound and electronics people, feel free to step in!

Thanks

I've never used speakers in my house since 1983, even though I'm a gigging musician I always wear headphones.
My neighbour has never heard my music.

@Lowe may be able to help with your last question

Man of Honour
May aswell kit the house out, go hard or go home :D https://www.funktion-one.com/products/dance-stack-overview/

I have a 3000 watt Mackie PA system :)
One side of it -

mackiepa.jpg

Man of Honour
But they have not been used since 1983? :( (or do you mean they have just not been used in your house)

:)
They are used for a 5 piece band with all instruments going through them.
I've never used speakers for music in my home since 1983, I always use headphones so that's why I want the G6 setup to be as perfect as possible.

Associate
Hi all,

so I have been running my DT990 pros with the g6 for the past year and have enjoyed the experience, I now however have upgraded to the DT1990 pros with Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads and was wondering whether I would get any benefit from upgrading the G6.
Any recommendations appreciated.

should also mention I use the setup mostly for gaming and movies.

cheers
The G6 is really hard to beat for gaming.

Soldato

QfLKTji.png

ahrUPsD.png

UNxZ5pP.png

BTW
Dolby Atmos Headphone does work with the G6 on direct Mode.
You will however loose the EQ mode you have set.

Associate
Tbh I thought the G6 only worked with Atmos in Direct Mode which is how I'd been using my G6. Also I was messing around with Equaliser APO & Peace this week, makes it very easy if you just want to import one of the community EQ's (I use DT 990 pro's).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom