Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
All of my cameras were bought through ebay.
I used two suppliers...

globeteck and

pokertechsz (currently not got anything for sale)

the former being a UK based trader and the latter being based in China.

I wanted Dome type cameras with around 700TVL and Sony 1/3 CMOS sensors.

The first supplier I bought four variable 2-12mm Zoom type and from the other I bought three array type.

Of the two I really like the array type. (Item number 230904583466 is typical of that type - used as an example only).
Unlike the ones sold by Globteck (181171098392) they do not suffer from the "halo" effect of light bounce - when the infra red lights positioned around the lens are on they can reflect back into the lens and create a halo effect on the CCTV picture.

The images are much sharper and precise as well with the array type. Also you get a menu / joystick control to alter certain aspects of their functionality.

But I did make sure that I ordered the correct size lens on the array type in relation to where they were being positioned. The Chinese dealer was most helpful with supplying any camera that I wanted with whatever sized lens.
They do need a good 1amp PSU. (150879226154) but I bought a 2amp type. I didn't seem to have much luck with 4 way 5 Amp supplies.

And yes external lighting goes hand in hand with helping to capture useful CCTV recordings at night.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Don't invest in analogue system in second decade of 21st century. There are only two reasons they are still manufactured - simplicity of tech and price. So yes, it's cheap but it's like buying into VHS in BluRay times. It's cheap for a reason. If you ever had a contact with any modern recording equipment you will be disappointed with the quality, regardless of TVL and once you invest in DVR for your BNC cameras you'll end up spending and improving cameras and picking sensors, all in a tech that simply cannot be improved for no money.

Max analogue CCTV resolution - D1 (704x576) even when coupled with cameras claiming best TVL values, let's say 700, is all relatively meaningless, because a) PAL signal maxes out at 625 lines with overheads and in closed circuit systems is delivered at 575 horizontal lines per picture frame or 287.5 per field, b) by default footage from analogue cameras is interlaced, which means for usable progressive footage or photographic evidence you loose half the resolution to begin with. In the end, best case scenario usable footage is 288 pixels in height, upsized/stretched to 704x576.

Just google analogue vs IP images on google. I know budget sometimes dictates old tech, but believe me, unless it's a completely unlit dark corner with most awkward visual access/angle, even 30 quid logitech 720p USB webcam duck taped to corner of the window and hooked up to old laptop/box running the simplest software, be it Zoneminder, Ispy or even YawCam will produce more usable security footage than the best analogue camera connected to the best DVR you can buy at the moment.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the advice. It would be so useful if the CCTV retailer websites actually listed the manufacturers and model numbers on their websites (only found a couple that actually do!), so annoying!

Soldato
Without HD there is next to no chance of getting a reg plate from a wide angle shot, you'd need to be zoomed into that portion of road and even then without a proper numberplate camera you'll only get plates if they're moving slowing in daylight.

Soldato
^^^^^ I have replied to you Craig but there was nothing in your mail that could not have been asked here, as OCUK do not stock such equipment it should not have caused an issue :)

Hope that my reply helps.

Soldato
OP
So I've got my system all up and running, I'm using 2 x Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I 3MP PoE cameras that feed back to a PoE switch and then to a HP N54L Microserver running FreeNas.

The cameras have a built in web server where you configure the encode settings, storage and schedule the recordings plus a load of other settings such as firing off frame grabs to an FTP site, I've just got it on 24/7 motion detection.

I've got them running at 2048x1536 resolution at 20fps.

Here's a few frame grabs from the cameras (click for full res 2048x1536);

47U6Es2l.jpg

HWdLos7l.jpg

vLt8T5Sl.jpg

Permabanned
So I've got my system all up and running, I'm using 2 x Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I 3MP PoE cameras that feed back to a PoE switch and then to a HP N54L Microserver running FreeNas.

The cameras have a built in web server where you configure the encode settings, storage and schedule the recordings plus a load of other settings such as firing off frame grabs to an FTP site, I've just got it on 24/7 motion detection.

I've got them running at 2048x1536 resolution at 20fps.

Here's a few frame grabs from the cameras (click for full res 2048x1536);

47U6Es2l.jpg

HWdLos7l.jpg

vLt8T5Sl.jpg

What's the max number of cameras you can connect?
What PoE switch are you using?
How much disk space does it utalise recording at 2048x1536 resolution at 20fps over a 7 day loop period?
The same for 1920X1080p 30fps?
What recording software are you using?

Thanks

P.S stunning quality pics.

Back
Top Bottom