Spec me - A DIY Solar for a small garden shed

Soldato
I've just ordered a 8x6ft shed just so I can get all the garden stuff out of my garage (mower, strimmer, furniture etc). It's going at the bottom of my garden and I want a light inside. I also would like a PIR LED lamp.

Running power down to it means a fair chunk of hassle, garden is 120ft long from house wall to the site of the shed.

So I was thinking:

12v LED strip inside
12v PIR LED flood lamp
Car/Leisure battery

And a solar panel on the shed roof to keep the battery charged.

The solar panel is where I fall down to a lack of knowledge primarily but I also don't know if the plan is feasable.

So 2 questions: Will it work & what solar kit would be best?

Man of Honour
I've generally bought Renogy and Photonic Universe for DIY solar, Allpowers and Eco-Worthy aren't too bad as cheaper generic brands.

Regular car batteries might not handle the charge cycles depending on use - they don't like being run down and charged regularly from near empty.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems like overkill.

Why not buy a portable light instead? Then you can see yr way down the garden at night.

Soldato
OP
I've generally bought Renogy and Photonic Universe for DIY solar, Allpowers isn't too bad as a generic brand.

Regular car batteries might not handle the charge cycles depending on use - they don't like being run down and charged regularly from near empty.

Thanks, will look into those.

I doubt the batteries would run down as far as empty. For the most part the only thing powered would be the PIR sensor.

Seems like overkill.

Why not buy a portable light instead? Then you can see yr way down the garden at night.

If I'm carrying things to and fro, having something else to carry is just annoying. Seeing down the garden isn't an issue as I've 2 100W LED floodlights on the house. The PIR for the shed is more for deterrance should anyone hop the fence as the PIR on the house only covers about halfway down

Back
Top Bottom